One rig to last forever
Oct 26, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Famous last words.
tongue.gif

And we all know how much truth is in them, if posted on head-fi
biggrin.gif

to Phox: get the D2000 but I would wait with the modding until you had the chance to hear a modded pair. Spending a few hundred bucks on recabling etc. is maybe not the best choice instead you should probably concider a source or amp upgrade as it could improve the sq much more (in my opinion).

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #17 of 37
A little over your budget, but I'd go with something like the PreSonus Central Station with the Sennheiser HD-600. You can find a used or refurbished Central Station for about $400, and you can find a used HD-600 around $200.

I haven't heard any of the headphones you listed, but the HD-600 is my affordable favorite for the genres you listed. You might also want to consider a Beyerdynamic DT880 for $180 off Amazon. Not quite as good as the HD-600, but the DT880 is a fine and very enjoyable headphone.

The beauty of the Central Station is that it has both an excellent source and headphone amp inside. I used it constantly before the great vacuum tube seduction (watch out for that one) and, for the price, you're not going to get a better piece of gear.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard any of the headphones you listed, but the HD-600 is my affordable favorite for the genres you listed. You might also want to consider a Beyerdynamic DT880 for $180 off Amazon. Not quite as good as the HD-600, but the DT880 is a fine and very enjoyable headphone.

I would also recommend the DT880 or HD600, but I think they both leak too much sound and might not be the best choice for him right now.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #19 of 37
If leakage wasn't a problem the list would be totally different and I very likely would have bought an HD580 or HD600. In fact, I probably would already own an HD580 since there was a used one for sale on eBay a while back for under 100 dollars.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one rig to bind them

sorry couldnt help myself.

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the title of the thread. lol.

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoxHound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a hypothetical thread as at the moment I'm in no position to be spending lots of money on new parts, but the curiosity is killing me. Apologies, but I have to ask.

At some undetermined point in time I intend to make a purchase which will be the absolute last purchase; one with which I can be satisfied for a very long time. Note that this does not mean the absolute best rig possible, but one that I will likely never need to improve on (I'm only a moderately discerning listener).

The only way to get a "last" rig is to isolate yourself from hearing or reading about new stuff. You'll have to foreswear ever going to meets or surfing headphone sites.

If I was looking for a midpriced "one & only" rig, it would be a HD600 or 650 and a desktop amp. My choice would be a DV332, but a M^3 is a suitable and lower maintanence option. I'd turn down the volume when sound leakage (which isn't that much) was an issue. I wouldn't live with a Denon or Ultrasone as my only rig longterm, even the top of the lineup, but that's a personal preference thing. I'd miss having a portable, but I assume you could also have something like a sansa clip + KSC75's and not violate the "only" rig criteria. I wouldn't consider a portable as my "only" rig, no matter what the prohibitions.

Actually, thinking about it, if I followed my own advice here I'd be about 95% as well off as I am now soundwise and about $7.5K richer.

There you go, I tossed out just about all of your criteria, substituted my own and then rendered an opinion. Anything else you'd like to know ?

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #22 of 37
so, i buy the hd650
what amp?

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #23 of 37
the problem with an end-game rig is not the headphones. i think a lot of people could live with their only headphone as an HD650 or O2. the problem is the associated equipment, which of course is much more expensive. getting a new source or amp as opposed to a new headphone as a way to take things up a notch seems to be a common occurrence and one which despite out best efforts is never quite finished.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #24 of 37
I'd go HD650 (or other <$300 headphone of your choice), Gilmore lite (or other ~400 desktop amp of you choice), and <$200 dac of your choice (I like the 0404 USB, but I want ADC's too).

That is really the problem though, isn't it? Your choice.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go HD650 (or other <$300 headphone of your choice), Gilmore lite (or other ~400 desktop amp of you choice), and <$200 dac of your choice (I like the 0404 USB, but I want ADC's too).

That is really the problem though, isn't it? Your choice.

What happened to the OP's $500 budget?

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What happened to the OP's $500 budget?

Meh, he could always rob a few banks to make up for the difference.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just going to skip the whole upgrade process, enjoy my VHP1 and AD700s, until I can afford Stax Omega-IIs.
biggrin.gif

It'll be cheaper that way because I know I'm just going to end up with O2s eventually!

That is exactly my plan also. I'll probly buy a better rock headphone than my HD580s to complement them, but it will be a mid-fi and will last me til I can do the whole Stax thing. I need to attend a meet first though to really make sure it's worth the money.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

If I was looking for a midpriced "one & only" rig, it would be a HD600 or 650 and a desktop amp. My choice would be a DV332, but a M^3 is a suitable and lower maintanence option. I'd turn down the volume when sound leakage (which isn't that much) was an issue.

This is critical. If this is true, then the HD600 and 650 are technically viable since I never listen that loud anyway. The little bit of isolation would be nice from my occasionally noisy computer, but I don't mind that much.

As for the DV332, how much does it cost? I saw on eBay a Little Dot I+ Hybrid for just under 150$ shipped that looked very appealing.

I probably would choose the 600 over the 650 as my understanding of the two that the only major difference is the sound signature, and the 650 is probably a bit too "dark" or "laid back" for my tastes (I'm guessing here...).

EDIT: Or I could get a Zero DAC and not have to worry about a separate DAC later.

As far as the chronic upgraditis goes, yes I have it for sure (caught it the moment I set foot in these very halls) but it'll be an awfully long time before I have cash to spare to spend on lots of expensive audio equipment. And certainly a phone like the HD600 or D2000 could last me a long time (even if I bought new amp/source equipment etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back