One question for cable believers.
Aug 2, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #16 of 31
I wouldnt pay more then $5 for a plug, so far I have some 8 or 9 $ calrad but that was just pure look, I'd pay for construction and look, but i wouldnt expect a change in sound, because there is no logical explanation behind it.

Cable believers are pretty much like religious people, they can feel it but they cant prove it. It is a matter of faith.

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 31
I've played around with some [insane] speaker setups in the past and haven't really noticed any discernible difference... as in imaging or body of the music from cable swaps.

Note: I'm not an expert with this in any way :)

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #18 of 31
High end cable hawkers are nothing but charlatans and mountebanks! Cable connectors on the other hand can turn lowly ipod earbuds into something that would rival hd800's. I've seen it man.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #21 of 31
So LETE is saying that by soldering new connectors worth ~$10, a pair of stock earbuds can rival $1000 headphones? Price isn't a linear and/or absolute measure of quality, but that's the claim?

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #22 of 31
So LETE is saying that by soldering new connectors worth ~$10, a pair of stock earbuds can rival $1000 headphones? Price isn't a linear and/or absolute measure of quality, but that's the claim?

Pretty sure that was him being sarcastic.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:
I inserted bare copper wires into my amp, I can hear something, perhaps my DAC is just way more expensive than yours.

Maybe you've just got better dexterity.  I can't hold 3 wires that still.  Its like lockpicking...

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #26 of 31
I tend to agree but it's dependent on the type of system you have. If it's a moderate one, I don't think cables costing hundreds or thousands make much difference. There's no actual scientific research I have read that would prove the cable lovers. As far as quality and specifications, yes as far as longevity, ruggedness and so forth, but what makes sound improve is based on the design of all the sources involved. Certain tweaks, sound processors do make changes either improvements on certain areas and on the negative more noise and interferences or distortion. I have tried so many cables and listening to demo doesn't convince me at all. I would prefer good quality cables and agreeing with you would spend hundreds of dollars and maybe on a very well put together expensive system, possibly close to a thousand on cardass,kimber or nordost,for example but not when your cable is more then your CDP or source. I think many high end cables are just hype and over marketing. If I'm going to invest on expensive cables, I'd rather upgrade on the source chain.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #27 of 31
What do people do with their cables that longetivity and ruggedness are required? My cables sit undisturbed in a very benign environment behind a cupboard in my sitting room. They do not need to be rugged at all and I expect them to last for decades.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What do people do with their cables that longetivity and ruggedness are required? My cables sit undisturbed in a very benign environment behind a cupboard in my sitting room. They do not need to be rugged at all and I expect them to last for decades.

I tried to make my cables as tough as possible because I feel good with it.
Also I carry them around jacking into a variety of stuff. Field audio recorder.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #29 of 31
In hifi (as opposed to pro audio) the only cable that needs any sort of ruggeness to it is a headphone cable.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In hifi (as opposed to pro audio) the only cable that needs any sort of ruggeness to it is a headphone cable.

Yeah cuz what I'm doing is basically pro-audio. I record in the field, as in Lord knows whether a deer is going to chew up our equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back