One PC with Itunes, two IPODs.
Jan 26, 2008 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bikeboy999

100+ Head-Fier
Hello I was told by my technological wizard (someone who does not read manuals) that it is not possible. Mom has a Nano, and boy has a Video. Can one copy of Itunes control the contents of both IPODS? Boy tells me that he can not charge Nano on his PC as it would wipe out her songs, so we use a wall USB charger for that. However, can his PC allow us to rip some more MIchel BUbble for the Nano w/o impacting his settings. I do not know if I am clear here, but I am confused.

B
smily_headphones1.gif

PS happieness is listening to music open up as amp breaks in. :)

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 11
It is possible to charge & sync both ipods using the same itunes, however, it is not possible to just add songs to an ipod from any other computer due to the way itunes work. However, you can try media monkey to sync. haven't tried it b4, but have heard good reports on it with ipods.

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 11
I have two iPods which I charge, and transfer music to on the same computer.
Works great for me!
biggrin.gif

I obviously don't set iTunes to auto-sync the iPods though..

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two iPods which I charge, and transfer music to on the same computer.
Works great for me!
biggrin.gif

I obviously don't set iTunes to auto-sync the iPods though..

yup, you can only auto-sync only one of the ipods. you have to set the other ipods to "manually manage" under the ipod options when you connect them the first time. after that, just drag and drop the songs to the ipod then itunes will transfer the songs.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 11
Well you can autosync more than one iPod from the same pc but then all music goes to both iPod's which most often is not what you want when operating more than one iPod.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 11
My household has more ipods than I care to count- you can handle all of them with itunes and you can auto sync or manual sync by setting options for each ipod. If you create different playlists for each persons music, or for selections of music that you want to sync to particular ipods, you can auto sync that particular playlist to a particular ipod. If you have some other criteria to filter on (or make up some criteria to use), you can also set up a smart playlist to auto filter all of this. So basically, by using playlists you can easily auto sync different music and different selections from the same library.

You can also have separate libraries and storage folders for each persons music. If you hold "shift" while clicking the itunes icon, you can choose which library you wish to use (or to create a new library). This works very well if you save each persons music to a different folder on your computer.

Ex-
Classic- syncs everything in my library automatically.
Touch- handled entirely manually
Nano- automatically syncs a 6gb music playlist that I create manually
Shuffle- automatically syncs a different playlist that I create manually

My wife and my son's ipod- their music is on D:wife/ son and I open a different library to handle thier music.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 11
I've sync'd 3 ipods before. Granted all of them have music from my computer.

The only thing you can't do is take music from the ipod and put it on your computer if the songs didn't come from your computer...but you CAN take songs from other peoples computer and put them on your iPod...

Jan 27, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 11
Neither did I, and I didn't think about auto syncing play lists as I never use them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back