One....Headphone to rule them all?
Apr 16, 2005 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TheReds

100+ Head-Fier
First post alert!
Im looking for the all around headphone. I can go from a game of Unreal Tournament to Berlioz Requiem, to 50 Cent, to Jimi Hendrix, to Crystal Method, to Miles Davis. Right now i have a pair of 280 pro's, and am looking for an upgrade in the 300 dollar price range. And, i would rather consider myself as a basshead.
eggosmile.gif

Would some Beyers be a good choice, the 880's...... Help is appreciated

Cheers!!

Apr 16, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 16
You're definitely going to want a headphone amp with something on that spectrum like the DT 880, and an EMU 0404 would go well with your Audigy 2. I hear you can plug the Audigy 2 SPDIF out into the 0404 SPDIF in and get EAX effects with the quality of the EMU.

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 16
Yes i do plan on getting an amp, maybe a gilmore lite...however, this is something that i would have to spread out, i couldnt afford headphones, an amp, and after reading the thread about the woodied DT770's, im going to need awhile for the money to come. And are you saying that the beyers would be a good choice for my needs?? Oh, and Emon, i am definetely thinking about another sound card to go along with the audigy, maybe one of those Onkyo cards or an EMU, i dont know......

What are the differences between the 770's and 880's???

Cheers!
600smile.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 16
If you're a basshead, cross the 880s off of your list right now!!

770s are the way to go for that.

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
If you're a basshead, cross the 880s off of your list right now

Agreed, the dt880s aren't really super-crazy-bass-impact phones. Especially unamped.

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 16
I advise to stay away from Audio Technicas - why? Because they have a continuous hype that is way too high for their actual performance
wink.gif

I am one of the few that will say that.

Personally I think that you'd probably be very well off with the DT880s. I have only heard them once, but I have found that they are extremely dynamic and have a great soundstage, so that essentially they can do anything very well. They aren't going to over-do the bass, but that's because they aren't made for that purpose - they are supposed to do ALL audio very well dynamically, and with lots of range and naturality. Yes, this means they are good for anything from Rock to Rap to DVDs to Games.

An amp? Yes, it will be necessary.

Basshead? The bass is really DYNAMIC and extended, but not so punchy - again, not their purpose. I thought I was a basshead until I heard not-so-bassy headphones like the AKG K271S and I realized that good sound can be made WITHOUT having to overly and artificially extend bass.

These are just my opinions, I hope this helps any.

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 16
So...it looks like the 770's are the headphones i will save up for. thanks for the help. couple more questions though....do the 770's benefit from an amp?? what about the 990's? and, how much of a difference do the wood and cable mods really make on the 770's?

Cheers!
600smile.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman

Personally I think that you'd probably be very well off with the DT880s. I have only heard them once, but I have found that they are extremely dynamic and have a great soundstage, so that essentially they can do anything very well. They aren't going to over-do the bass, but that's because they aren't made for that purpose - they are supposed to do ALL audio very well dynamically, and with lots of range and naturality. Yes, this means they are good for anything from Rock to Rap to DVDs to Games.

and the decisions get harder and harder....thanks for the input (i mean that in a good way
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 16, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 16
It all depends on which flavour you get...

There are (IIRC) four different flavours of DT770, and two different flavours of DT990 (if buying new, six / four possibilities if buying second hand) but, yes... all of them will in essense need an powerful amp... not talking about volume so much, but current, which is something that the 770/880/990 need in bucket loads for them to sound their best... probably best to steer clear of all potentially portable amps...

The DT860 though (for example) is only 32ohm so is happily driven by pretty much anything... although, is brighter than the 880 reportedly, so only get these if you really like clear, and clean sounding music!

Apr 16, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #12 of 16
Any vote besides mine for the ER4P + S adaptor?
etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 16, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #14 of 16
Your music's probably also begging to be less expensive, but it's not the music's fault- place your blames where they belong- the RIAA(bastards)
biggrin.gif

etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 16
So if i get a pair of beyers, its pretty for certain ill need an amp also...any recomendations??? i was thinking gilmore lite, but not sure. Morphie, what grados do you recomend in my price range? and would they be comfortable say for a 10 hour lan party??
icon10.gif

-if i go with beyers, its definetly either the770's or 880's so could someone give a side by side comparison. all i really know is that the 770's have a little more bass.......

Thanks for all the help!
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back