ONCE AND FOR ALL. Is the iMod the definitive DAP for audiophiles?
Jun 22, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #16 of 42
I would say yes.
Like most people say, it gives a very neutral, clean signal which you can then change to your liking via amps, headphones, cables (oh noes!).

IMO, the best benefit of the iMod as opposed to other setups is because your library is all on the iPod, as opposed to using CDs, vinyls, etc.

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #17 of 42
Very interesting, very differing view points all around. I had previously come to the conclusion reading threads, that portability wouldn't be that big of a deal with the Xin Super Micro IV amp (although I will be waiting a while for it). I keep hearing these amps are superb, except for a couple of people who have to say otherwise (in this thread alone....slwiser).

I think I basically understand where everyone is coming from now. From what I gather, there is not a "be all, end all" DAP. I can totally understand if someone wants the best portability, or if someone wants the best PVP, or the best PVP that can play audio.

I imagine there are a bunch of different mixes. I wish there was just 1 DAP that could play video excellent, had good battery life, low failure rate, and could be iModded. As it is you need like 3 or 4 portables to satisfy (For me probably going to be Sony PSP, iMod, Archos).

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazin_it_alwyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting, very differing view points all around. I had previously come to the conclusion reading threads, that portability wouldn't be that big of a deal with the Xin Super Micro IV amp (although I will be waiting a while for it). I keep hearing these amps are superb, except for a couple of people who have to say otherwise (in this thread alone....slwiser).

Remember that my reference was against the first edition of the MicroAmp and they changed it once after I got mine and now they are replacing them.

The MicroDac is a very good sounding unit. To me the only issue with it is the battery having to be replaced so often.

I am very happy now with my iMod 5g 80g with Super Cotton Dock.

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #19 of 42
i think the problem here is that you people are insisting on taking a DAP with mediocre sound quality and spending alot of money on modding it to sound insted of buying something with GOOD sound quality like the kenwood, cowon or samsung, you end up spending more money and carrying a bulkier package on you just becuase you are obssesed with the ipod,

sometimes, i think that when your improving something, at some point you have to stop and think if insted of improving that thing, its cheaper and faster to just get something better in the first place,

plus, i dont like my music being hostage to itunes, MSC FTW!!!,

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #21 of 42
I've got Zune/UM2. What else do I need? The SQ is wonderful, it's nice and portable and has a perfectly black no-hiss background. I used H120/Amp for the longest time, but actually being able to fit something in my pocket (that actually sounds better, with less hiss) is just awesome. I also paid $150 for the Zune. To best that sound/functionality with the iMod, you would need the 5.5G + mods + special dock + decent amp. You can get the dock or a decent portable amp for $150. No ipod. No mods. See how it makes sense?

Jun 23, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #22 of 42
I have the iRiver/Micro DAC combo, and it's superb for what it is--a high end *transportable* rig that offers a great deal of flexibility for use in other configurations. I cannot comment on the SQ of the iMod because I don't have one, but I can certainly postulate that the Micro DAC offers more flexibility, albeit at the considerable cost of battery life and portability. For instance, the Micro DAC is equally happy with my iRiver or my laptop as a transport, the former via optical TOSlink and the latter via USB. I love the flexibility of being able to pop in a USB cable and transform my laptop into a virtually bit perfect transport via Foobar. You can't do that with an iMod. That said, if you are solely interested in a high-end portable DAP, I must say that the iMod offers lots of advantages, especially battery life and portability. Here are some pic's that show the size differences between the iRiver/Micro DAC and the iPod, which is considerable.

p941810279-3.jpg

p1022996945-3.jpg

Either way, you really can't go wrong.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmclaurin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the iRiver/Micro DAC combo, and it's superb for what it is--a high end *transportable* rig that offers a great deal of flexibility for use in other configurations. I cannot comment on the SQ of the iMod because I don't have one, but I can certainly postulate that the Micro DAC offers more flexibility, albeit at the considerable cost of battery life and portability. For instance, the Micro DAC is equally happy with my iRiver or my laptop as a transport, the former via optical TOSlink and the latter via USB. I love the flexibility of being able to pop in a USB cable and transform my laptop into a virtually bit perfect transport via Foobar. You can't do that with an iMod. That said, if you are solely interested in a high-end portable DAP, I must say that the iMod offers lots of advantages, especially battery life and portability. Here are some pic's that show the size differences between the iRiver/Micro DAC and the iPod, which is considerable.

Either way, you really can't go wrong.

No doubt about it this is one nice rig either way. Enjoy the music.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #25 of 42
I think the iMod offers the best compromise between SQ and portability. I don't think I would have bought one if I planned to listen to it in one place all the time. I think better money could be spent on a home set up for that. And I would not have bought it if I hoped to use it for walking around the city. I feel like it and the interconnect are a little too fragile (not to mention expensive) for that. The reason I love mine is that I can listen to it any where in the house (my office, my living room, on my hammock, while I'm washing the dishes, etc.). And it sounds amazing. I also love the fact that as a source it reportedly won't be the weak link if I decide ever to invest in any really nice home amps.

As for the guy who couldn't understand why people would pay all this money and deal with all this bulkiness just to hang onto their ipods (and their "mediocre sound quality"), I'd say that some of us are just gear heads and we like having a portable amp. My ipod is definitely more cumbersome now, but I don't mind, because it looks cool with this tiny machine strapped on the back and a crazy interconnect. I've never compared it to anything else, but I believe those who have compared it to multiple other DAPs and found it superior.

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the problem here is that you people are insisting on taking a DAP with mediocre sound quality and spending alot of money on modding it to sound insted of buying something with GOOD sound quality like the kenwood, cowon or samsung, you end up spending more money and carrying a bulkier package on you just becuase you are obssesed with the ipod,

sometimes, i think that when your improving something, at some point you have to stop and think if insted of improving that thing, its cheaper and faster to just get something better in the first place,

plus, i dont like my music being hostage to itunes, MSC FTW!!!,

A very misguided answer. I'm not obsessed with iPod's at all. The fact that they are proclaimed to watch video is one of the biggest mainstream dupes ever. Also the fact that they have some battery problems, and maybe some hard drive issues. But the fact is, that it is a slick package, and I think it has been agreed that with the iMod, it delivers the best sound.

I also don't understand how this

notbulky.png

compared to a Cowon A2 can be called bulky. Given with a bigger amp like the hornet, yeah. But to just state a blanket term and say that the iMod is bulky, especially compared to some other ones, is just wrong.

And lastly, I have a 4GB iPod, which is not hostage to iTunes. I import (and export) all my music files with WinAmp, which btw is one of the best audio/video players, PERIOD. With rockbox installed on this thing I could probably take it further than that.

Overall a misguided answer. iPod/iMod does have it's downfalls, which is why I made this thread to find out. But you claiming that the reason everyone is interested in this package is because of the iPod is just plain wrong, sorry.

Also, in the last part of my post, I asked if you didn't like the iMod, if you could tell us what it is exactly you like and why. You did neither in this post. You were no help to me, therefore I don't even know why you posted.

Jun 24, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazin_it_alwyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A very misguided answer. I'm not obsessed with iPod's at all. The fact that they are proclaimed to watch video is one of the biggest mainstream dupes ever. Also the fact that they have some battery problems, and maybe some hard drive issues. But the fact is, that it is a slick package, and I think it has been agreed that with the iMod, it delivers the best sound.

I also don't understand how this

[image removed]

compared to a Cowon A2 can be called bulky. Given with a bigger amp like the hornet, yeah. But to just state a blanket term and say that the iMod is bulky, especially compared to some other ones, is just wrong.
And lastly, I have a 4GB iPod, which is not hostage to iTunes. I import (and export) all my music files with WinAmp, which btw is one of the best audio/video players, PERIOD. With rockbox installed on this thing I could probably take it further than that.

Overall a misguided answer. iPod/iMod does have it's downfalls, which is why I made this thread to find out. But you claiming that the reason everyone is interested in this package is because of the iPod is just plain wrong, sorry.

Also, in the last part of my post, I asked if you didn't like the iMod, if you could tell us what it is exactly you like and why. You did neither in this post. You were no help to me, therefore I don't even know why you posted.

Hooray for justifiable irritation! It happens all too frequently on Head-fi that the original poster's intent is lost and their thread derailed. This commandeering of a thread is frustrating both for the OP as well as for most of the rest of us who read the thread with unmet expectations. Witness the recent macbook sound quality thread that turned into a pissing contest about macs versus pcs.

Good for you, Blazin, fire away. Please, folks, let's read the first post in a thread and respond accordingly. Failing that, I encourage other OPs to emulate Blazin and similarly enforce "thread discipline." In my opinion, it is entirely appropriate for the OP to admonish subsequent posters who should have started their own threads.

Now, we return you to the original topic...

I most appreciate my iMod rig (4th gen iMod>tomahawk/hornet>E500/UM2/E4) when I am stationary but out of the house, e.g. in my office and when traveling. It exceeds my SQ needs when I am moving about such as when exercising or walking the dogs. In those circumstances, I switch to a 1st gen Shuffle and perhaps an iGrado or HP25-1. I slip the Shuffle in my pocket or a tiny belt pack. When mobile the iMod rig is not worth the awkwardness to me plus I am concerned about subjecting it to excessive jostling.

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #29 of 42
The simple answer to the original post is obviously no, since not every audiophile agrees the iMod is the definitive DAP. If it were no one would dispute it. It is to some but not to others. So if you think it is that's cool by me. I consider myself an audiophile and I have found the definitive DAP for me and it is not an iMod. The definitive DAP for me is the Trekstor Vibez do the size, sound, flac, lossless, customizable eq, and dj mode. Portable heaven in the palm of my hand.

Do!

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The simple answer to the original post is obviously no, since not every audiophile agrees the iMod is the definitive DAP. If it were no one would dispute it. It is to some but not to others. So if you think it is then who cares what others think. I consider myself an audiophile and I have found the definitive DAP for me and it is not an iMod. The definitive DAP for me is the Trekstor Vibez do the size, sound, flac, lossless, customizable eq, and dj mode. Portable heaven in the palm of my hand.

Do!

Good, sensible answer. Just as there is no single car that is the "best" for automobile aficionados, there is no "definitive DAP for audiophiles".

If there was, though, it would obviously be the Kenwood
wink.gif
(Kidding!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back