ONCE AND FOR ALL. Is the iMod the definitive DAP for audiophiles?
Jun 24, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #31 of 42
LOL.
580smile.gif

Good answer.

Do!

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #32 of 42
in DAP choices, it seems to me that for most folks, convenience (size, interface, format) and convention (iTunes or not, gapless FLAC or not, etc) trump the elusive sound quality ultimate. just as many audiophiles can be told that vinyl is not actually as good as they think it is - if they have a massive record collection, they'll stick to it and try to max out on needles and tables.

I should say that I have heard about half a dozen DAP and like the iMod best so far. I am being challenged by a colleague who is a cowon fan (will post here what we think). and I do think it is clunky to carry an amp plus iMod - mostly because I haven't found the perfect interconnect yet.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in DAP choices, it seems to me that for most folks, convenience (size, interface, format) and convention (iTunes or not, gapless FLAC or not, etc) trump the elusive sound quality ultimate.

I agree with you there, however I went from an iriver H140, Micro Dac, Head Amp Ae-1 rig to the best sounding portable DAP I've heard. Yes, best sounding dap with out all the bells and wistles. Is it the ultimate sound? Maybe not but a portable DAP rig will never come close to my portable laptop rig for when I want the ultimate sound.

Do!

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you there, however I went from an iriver H140, Micro Dac, Head Amp Ae-1 rig to the best sounding portable DAP I've heard. Yes, best sounding dap with out all the bells and wistles. Is it the ultimate sound? Maybe not but a portable DAP rig will never come close to my portable laptop rig for when I want the ultimate sound.

Do!

Maybe Im a bit blind
smily_headphones1.gif
. But whats this best sounding DAP you speak of?

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #35 of 42
Trekstor Vibez. For some reason mine works flawlessly so I can't say for the others that have had problems. I've owned an 8gig Nano, 60 gig 4th gen Photo (Rockboxed) and H140 (Rockboxed). I've used various ALO cables and amps including a micro DAC. Portable heaven in the palm of my hand. It's the best sounding DAP i'v heard without the need of mods or amp. Maybe I should rephrase this as the best I've heard from the headphone out. I've connected it to my home amp from the headphone out and was blown away.

DO!

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #36 of 42
Nice! Iv heard the Vibez is supposed to be great quality. Not enough storage for me though
frown.gif
. If it was a flash player, it might be usefull as a runaround player.

Coincidentally Mr Do, Iv had the same previous players you have (4th gen 60gb ipod Photo not rockboxed, and currently a H140). I only used the ipod from headphone out, and it was abismal. The h140 is pretty good.

Iv finally decided im gonna go with an iMod. Since an iMod + supermicro is small enough, and not that bulky IMO.

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! Iv heard the Vibez is supposed to be great quality. Not enough storage for me though
frown.gif
. If it was a flash player, it might be usefull as a runaround player.

Early on I had some reservations about TrekStor choosing a hard drive over flash, but so far the drive has performed flawlessly at the gym (mostly running for a mile or two on the treadmill.). Cornice designed the drive to be rock solid when on the move. My experience so far indicates they did a damn good job.

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #38 of 42
Definitive DAP depends on how one categorize the level of compromises that he/she's willing to take.

For a straightforward DAP -> Headphone setup, I believe a Kenwood HD30GB9 will claim the crown, followed by zune and iRiver H series, and also the aged Rio Karma. This category will serve to satisfy most audio enthusiast that are willing to accept compromises and use their DAP as DAP where portability VS size VS satisfying SQ are balanced harmoniously.

The second group will be Audio Enthusiasts. Those who are willing to sacrifice a bit of portability and uses DAP -> Amp -> Headphone. This section has always been the realm governed by iPod 4,5 and 5.5G throug the lineout. followed closely by iRiver H series and Zen Visions.

The other group of audio enthusiasts, which falls more into the "Portable Audiophile" genre will likely demand more of their rig and are willing to sacrifice compromises in the name of absolute SQ. I belong to this group - I do not own any other rig other than my portable rig so my portable rig will have to be the best that can be had for.

Enter iMod 4G -> Amp -> Headphone category. For a very long time, I don't recall any other DAP -> Amp -> Headphone rig that can come close to what iMod 4G offers. Of course the trade-off is one will have to live with bulky setup because iMod will never be complete without an amp. My very own experience with various DAPs of popular choices can't even come close to the fidelity level offered by iMod. Of course I haven't listen to iRiver H1XX -> DAC -> Amp -> Headphone setup which is another option loved by Portable Audiophile. Suffice to say that after owning an iMod rig, I was content enough with the result that I do not have a desire to try anything else and I believe the same could be said for those owning iRiver H1XX -> DAC -> Amp -> Headphone rig - there's no further that one can go beyond that.

And now we have iMod 5/5.5G, the plot thickens........

So, is iMod the definitive DAP? yes and no. It's a yes for Portable Audiohile who seek utterly Transparent and Neutrally Beefy source. It's a no if you seek portability in the truest sense.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #40 of 42
My ideas are contrary to the general consensus on this forum and may very well be useless conjecture to some but I will share anyway.

I'd sound quality for storage space and portability anyday. I think the best sound quality should be left for the home rig while the portable should have compactness and storge space as its first two priorities. That isn't to say that I don't want it to sound good. I just don't think one should carry around a phanny pack with 3 different electronic devices.

All I need is a good DAP, with adequate storage space (To hold my growing 100gig+ collection of MP3s and FLACs) and god IEMs and I'm happy.

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #41 of 42
So, I am taking a chance on this iMod in order to hope that it will serve as a decent budget source for home as well as portable. I travel with an amp and an iPod with a minimum of fuss -- the bulk is barely noticeable, as it's still in my bag like it always has been (the man-purse).

The new iMod for the 5g is even better since it doesn't sacrifice a bit of portability but there's only one hard drive based device to manage. Now the only drawback for me is the size of the drive, and possibly the lack of a clean AC/DC conversion for home use with the iMod.

For those of us on a limited budget or embracing the move away from individual CDs, gets two animals with one shot if you ask me.

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Suffice to say that after owning an iMod rig, I was content enough with the result that I do not have a desire to try anything else and I believe the same could be said for those owning iRiver H1XX -> DAC -> Amp -> Headphone rig - there's no further that one can go beyond that.

I'm sure this is why we don't see many sound quality comparisons of these two options.

What scares me away from an imod is that it all starts with an ipod....and I'm always reluctant to jump into equipment that is proprietary in any way, non-UMS, or throws DRM in my face. However, the rockbox option changes all of that these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back