On why "old" ER-4 isn't updated...
Jan 26, 2009 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently, I compared the Westone 3 to most top end universal IEMs out there, the Shures, UEs, Senheiser, Klipsch and etc. And I found that Westone 3 is one of the most detailed IEM, if not the most detailed universal IEM among those mentioned. I guessed, that was probably the latest multiple drivers and crossovers are showing its edge.

Single balanced armature IEM are often said to be inferior to these latest beast, or even outdated. But when I went back to ER-4P/S that is more than a decade old in design, I was reminded of the clarity and details that I was missing, and not in a subtle way. It is as if a dirty window pane has just been cleaned. And the ER-4 is a lot more ruthless to recording quality than the Westone 3.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Westone 3 for its warmth and musicality. But when comes to clarity and detail the "old" ER-4 is still up there, and latest triple drivers and true 3-way crossover still hasn't touch it, at least for now.

To say that these "old" ER-4 are obsolete or inferior are just not true IMHO. IMO they are just different beasts, I wouldn't say one is better than the other. These "old" model still does things that newer model can't, and is still the best in its own right. If I head the R&D team of Etymotic Research, I wouldn't be too eager to update them either.

On a side note, I too find the single dynamic driver IE8 impressive. While it isn't as detailed as the ER-4 or the W3, it presents texture and decay unlike other IEMs, very natural sounding and full size headphone like.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 28
Sound quality aside, you'd think Etymotic would've done something about that dumb ER4P/S cable by now. It sucks. (Yes, I have demoed an ER4P, and yes, the cable is absolutely horrible in my experience)

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 28
I agree that the "old" ER-4 is still great... however, if I was Etymotic, I'd definitely think about making an updated version with whatever cord improvements are on the HF5, as well as with the slightly lower profile.

Basically, they need to make a new HF5 with the hand-picked matched drivers, because sound-quality aside, the ER4 looks ugly and has major microphonics issues.

Edit: Basically what was said above me.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently, I compared the Westone 3 to most top end universal IEMs out there, the Shures, UEs, Senheiser, Klipsch and etc. And I found that Westone 3 is one of the most detailed IEM, if not the most detailed universal IEM among those mentioned. I guessed, that was probably the latest multiple drivers and crossovers are showing its edge.

Single balanced armature IEM are often said to be inferior to these latest beast, or even outdated. But when I went back to ER-4P/S that is more than a decade old in design, I was reminded of the clarity and details that I was missing, and not in a subtle way. It is as if a dirty window pane has just been cleaned. And the ER-4 is a lot more ruthless to recording quality than the Westone 3.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Westone 3 for its warmth and musicality. But when comes to clarity and detail the "old" ER-4 is still up there, and latest triple drivers and true 3-way crossover still hasn't touch it, at least for now.

To say that these "old" ER-4 are obsolete or inferior are just not true IMHO. IMO they are just different beasts, I wouldn't say one is better than the other. These "old" model still does things that newer model can't, and is still the best in its own right. If I head the R&D team of Etymotic Research, I wouldn't be too eager to update them either.

On a side note, I too find the single dynamic driver IE8 impressive. While it isn't as detailed as the ER-4 or the W3, it presents texture and decay unlike other IEMs, very natural sounding and full size headphone like.

The Etymotic ER-4 earphones are best when listening to music to actually monitor the details in a particular song. If you are listening to music to just sit back and enjoy the ER-4 is a bad choice since it lacks the fullness of sound that these multiple drivers earphones provide.

Also the ER-4 is known to sound a bit unnatural because in a real concert you will not hear HIGHs that detailed and BASS that left out like what is reproduced on the ER-4's.

So I rather have a pair of earphones that deliver in the BASS, MIDS, and HIGHs then a pair of earphones that are so focused on HIGHs while the BASS is literally nonexistent.

I am completely satisfied with the amazing sound quality my Shure SE530's are shooting down my ear canals.
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 28
Love the er4p's myself,why update something thats fantastic.
If you use the new glider tips these become ear melting,perfect bass,perfect mids and perfect highs.
I used to think the se310 were the very best iem out there but with the aforementioned gliders the er4 is just soooo much nicer sounding,and with the cable clip i never have had a problem with microphonics.
Along with the IE8 these are the best.
And all these are single driver too.
Awesome.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 28
Yeah, they should do something about the cable. It's fine when you're in your home, but not when walking outside, on the bus etc.

On the other hand, I don't think there is much advantage to using ER4 instead of hf5, im716 or er6 in such environments. I usually just go with my iM716s and leave the ER4 for home listening.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, I don't think there is much advantage to using ER4 instead of hf5, im716 or er6 in such environments. I usually just go with my iM716s and leave the ER4 for home listening.

Yeah, but their flagship top of the line model should definitely include any aesthetic and cable improvements that a lower model has on principle really, unless maybe it'll detract from the audio quality slightly, then I'd understand not changing.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 28
From what I've read of people's experiences stripping older ER4 cables to take a look at the innards, it's a spliced together mess, so pretty much any single strand cable would more than likely be a massive (relatively speaking) improvement in SQ.

While I probably wouldn't go balanced unless I had a balanced setup already, here's a look at a "Head-Fied" ER4:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wor...-er4-p-391729/

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also the ER-4 is known to sound a bit unnatural because in a real concert you will not hear HIGHs that detailed and BASS that left out like what is reproduced on the ER-4's.

An IEM/headphone is trying to reproduce what was recorded, i.e., what the microphones picked-up.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An IEM/headphone is trying to reproduce what was recorded, i.e., what the microphones picked-up.

Yeah I know that but manufacturers tend to tune the drivers to sound a certain way so it does not matter how the song was recorded the earphones will reproduce it in it's "programed" way. The only way to fix it is by a EQ or AMP.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 28
I think manufacturers could have invested and made headphones like Ety, even in multiple driver IEMs like Shure or Westone, but they make a conscious decision NOT to, because that's not what the majority wants. People want detail, but people don't want treble spikes and a very cold sound.

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 28
I use bass boost on my ety er4p. Depending on the genre I'll max it out and it never feels like it's too thin this way. I find the earphones retain their positive characteristics even when bass boost is used so I stick with them.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use bass boost on my ety er4p. Depending on the genre I'll max it out and it never feels like it's too thin this way. I find the earphones retain their positive characteristics even when bass boost is used so I stick with them.

That's the only way to listen to them, boost the bass on your player or get an hp amp with a bass boost.

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound quality aside, you'd think Etymotic would've done something about that dumb ER4P/S cable by now. It sucks. (Yes, I have demoed an ER4P, and yes, the cable is absolutely horrible in my experience)

Thank gods I'm not the only one who feels this way about that ass-tastic cable.

Edit: Also HF5 does not sound worse than ER-4P. It sounds different, and in my opinion much better. My HF5s exhibit no sibilance whatsoever and my old pair of ER-4P were nails on a chalkboard with some albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back