On or Off? - Do you leave your Amps and sources ON all the time?
Jan 23, 2002 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BenG

500+ Head-Fier
This has been brought up before but I'll ask again: Is it better for euipment to left on all the time ?(putting aside costs of power consumption)

Doesn't turning on and off components put strain on the parts inside or even lead to failure? Dosen't some euipment benefit sonically from being left on?

Or are the surges and spikes present on an AC line a bigger issue?

Jan 23, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 14
On. The only time I turn things off are when I go on extended vacation or a really big storm hits.

Jan 23, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 14
I leave my amp on all the time. Indeed, there is no off switch on it!. My cdp has a standby mode, which is pretty cool. Takes all the guesswork outta it. My opinion is that you shouldn't worry about on/off doing damage to your system. If it does degrade your system, you probably won't notice the effects of it for 20 years. And by then, there's a good chance you'll have something different.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 14
I usually leave my stuff on. I plug everything into a surge protector so I don't have to worry too much about surges/spikes...
BUT...
Is it bad (sonically) to have everything, especially the Corda amp, connected to the same power bar?

Jan 23, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

fiddler said...

BUT...
Is it bad (sonically) to have everything, especially the Corda amp, connected to the same power bar?

Depends. Many people feel using surge protection can limit the amount of power available to components more than necessary, thus taking away from the sound, usually in the bass and dynamics areas. There's also the issue of noise from different components' power mixing. However, if you plug everything into a balanced power unit or two, and connect that to the surge protector (like me
cool.gif
), you get the best of both worlds. If you don't have one... well, I'd rather have the safety of surge protection first and foremost. Of course, one good thing about having everything plugged into the same power bar is you are much less likely to get a ground loop in your system.

Jan 23, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 14
I always keep my CDP off if I'm not using it; I usually leave my headphone amp on during the day so I don't have to wait for it to warm up.

Jan 23, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 14
I always turn everything off when not in use. I was taught to always turn off things you're not using........plus I have too many amps to leave on.......my electric bill would be so high it would cut into my headphone purchases.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 14
Leave my Solid State pre-amplifier the venerable Audiolab 8000Q is left on at all times as it sounds better when it's warmed up.

My amps. I have a pair of 100w Tube Tech Genesis Monoblock amps with 4 x Gold Aero EL34's each. Valve amps actually burn power power when the are acquiescent
eek.gif
(no music playing) than when in use. So off they go as I can't afford the electric bill. During winter they are great as they warm the room up so it's nice and cosy but during summer months I usually switch over to my trusty Rotel RB970's as they run quite cool.

My Naim CD3.5 and the FlatCap PSU don't have power switches so they are left on at all times also.

So, a bit of both there.

Sound as ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 14
I leave everything on almost all the time, which only includes a Sony DVD player and receiver. I hope that POS receiver breaks soon because then I can buy something better!

Jan 23, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 14
... Im sure I read that amps are best left on - it allows currents to stabilize - but digital equipment should be switched off.

I heard from a rep from Cyrus that amps should have been on for at least 1 hour to get a reasonable sound but for audiophile listening (whatever that is!) it should be 6 hours

what do I know tho?

Jan 23, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 14
My power has been dirty since I moved, so I turn everything off.

Jan 24, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #13 of 14
I have an Adcom ACE-515 line conditioner which does a good job of cleaning up the power somewhat and providing surge protection while not "limiting" the power, like a cheap surge protector intended for computer use might. Then again, an MG Head DT isn't exactly a high current amplifier..

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 14
If I left the RA-1 on all the time, the batteries would spend a lot of time in the charger...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back