On Gifts
Apr 16, 2007 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

KinesongPayaso

100+ Head-Fier
have you ever told friends and families to NOT give you anything in particular to a field of interest?
say, you, an audiophile, telling friends to never give you a gift that they, a "layman", would think is good. whether it be an album, speakers or headphones?

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This reminds me of when my mother gave me those fold-up cardboard speakers for Christmas. Ugh...

Where they the Sonic Impact ones?

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 15
My family gives me money. I think they just gave up on trying to understand my hobbies/interest. It's good because I can get whatever I want, but bad because there's just no surprise anymore.
plainface.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 15
My mom still buys me really bright flannel clothing -_- ... and whitey tighties...

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 15
I got Bose QC2s for christmas. I was horrified that they would spend that much money on them. I didnt know about "the light" at the time, so I told them to get me triports, which were half the price. Im so glad I live in a bose-free environment right now.

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 15
whenever i get a package and my mom asks how much it cost me, i reply with a number about 1/5-1/3 the actual price

if i got a pair of headphones, speakers, or an album from a friend, i'd use it. has sentimental value
or something like that

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whenever i get a package and my mom asks how much it cost me, i reply with a number about 1/5-1/3 the actual price

Ditto; my Hornet came from another Head-Fi member in China, and so the price value on the transfer package was $50 to avoid custom problems, and my dad even today thinks the amp was only $50.
cool.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto; my Hornet came from another Head-Fi member in China, and so the price value on the transfer package was $50 to avoid custom problems, and my dad even today thinks the amp was only $50.
cool.gif

my alessandros are 25
i win...
blink.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 15
Every time someone (out of the know, i.e. not one of my two friends who understand the hobby or my girlfriend) asks me how much any of my audio purchases costs, I tell him "fifty bucks" without fail. K701? Fifty bucks. W1000? Fifty bucks. M200? Hornet M? HD25-1? Fifty bucks. I guess for the PK1 I would have to say twenty bucks or something, but no one ever sees those anyway -- I only use them when I'm at the service desk at work.

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time someone (out of the know, i.e. not one of my two friends who understand the hobby or my girlfriend) asks me how much any of my audio purchases costs, I tell him "fifty bucks" without fail. K701? Fifty bucks. W1000? Fifty bucks. M200? Hornet M? HD25-1? Fifty bucks. I guess for the PK1 I would have to say twenty bucks or something, but no one ever sees those anyway -- I only use them when I'm at the service desk at work.

Im just getting started with this headphone thing. Dont know much about em. Ill give you $40 for those k701s. Are they as good as bose?

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im just getting started with this headphone thing. Dont know much about em. Ill give you $40 for those k701s. Are they as good as bose?

Post of the century right here.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 15
if you audiophile and/or specialty gear, it's always safest to ask for gift certificates to retailers. Avoids confusion and they won't know what the stuff costs.

Then again, I always get the same stuff for my birthday and Christmas: a shirt or two and bookstore gift certificates. It is great to be thought of, regardless of the gift, and I can always use those.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 15
rather than to instruct what not to get me, in instruct what exactly to get me. last year, for my birthday, my girlfriend asked me what i wanted, i said the beyerdynamic dt770 pro/80. she was carefully instucted not to deviate at all from those specs ( i even specified what models not to get; dt770M, 250ohm ect...). when my parents asked, i asked for the X1 xtra amp from china, i hotlinked the ebay auction to my father and specified the colour.
my loved ones understand how important specifics are in audio, my father was an audiophile (the linn in my sig was his) and my girlfriends father is an audiophile (the valve amp in my sig was built by him, i got it because he upgraded).

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 15
My relatives mostly give me money for gifts. I've never really understood the stigma behind giving cash/cheques. All it does is support rackets like gift cards you can't exchange for cash. Yay, $50 to spend at [random store I haven't shopped at in years] instead of putting it towards something nice. I know a lot of people would rather receive a thoughtful gift than money, but I never have a clue what I want, and people gave up asking years ago
smily_headphones1.gif
All I know is I don't want any bloody gift cards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back