On-ear, open headphones?
Sep 3, 2014 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Xerber

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I was hoping you could offer me some advice and / or suggestions.

Recently I've been using IEM's and headphones when working overtime at the office. I'm currently using my Momentums, but since I'm usually the only person left on my floor (or the last person to leave the building), I don't really like their passive noise isolation; I have had more than a few scares due to colleagues returning to the office without me noticing them, and having them suddenly walk into my office. So I would prefer an open backed headphone that would still let me hear some of the stuff around me.

I could use my HD 650's, but I find them too bulky for office use. So, ideally, I would like an open backed, on-ear headphone or a small over-ear, open model. My budget is about $400.

I mostly listen to rock, (smooth) jazz and lounge. I generally don't like headphones with an analytical sound, but prefer warmer sounding headphones (hence all my Sennheisers). I considered Grado's, but given my preference for a warm sound I figured they were probably not for me. On the other hand, I heard the new 'e' models have more bass and a warmer sound.

Are there any open, on-ear headphones I'm overlooking? Or are there small over-ear models I should consider?

I would greatly appreciate any advice, input or suggestions you can give me.

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for all the input so far.
I'm not really a bass head (I really dislike the bloated bass many modern headphones seem to have), but I do like a warm sound signature.
Unfortunately Alessandro's are almost impossible to get in Europe, unless you import them from the US. So I guess I'll probably be taking the Grado route.

No stores in my vicinity carry Grado, but I can get a set of SR225e's online for €239 or a set of SR325is' discounted at €259. Should I go with the SR225e's since the new 'e'-models are supposed to have a warmer sound? Or would SR325is' be a better pair of headphones for the money?

Thanks again!

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 6
  Thanks for all the input so far.
I'm not really a bass head (I really dislike the bloated bass many modern headphones seem to have), but I do like a warm sound signature.
Unfortunately Alessandro's are almost impossible to get in Europe, unless you import them from the US. So I guess I'll probably be taking the Grado route.

No stores in my vicinity carry Grado, but I can get a set of SR225e's online for €239 or a set of SR325is' discounted at €259. Should I go with the SR225e's since the new 'e'-models are supposed to have a warmer sound? Or would SR325is' be a better pair of headphones for the money?

Thanks again!

The 325 model in the Grado lineup has historically had a "hot" upper midrange and treble.
I've not heard the 225e's, (but I have heard the 225i's and the 325is's).

Nonetheless, I'd suggest that you'll probably be better off with the 225e's
considering your stated preferences.

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 6
The 325 model in the Grado lineup has historically had a "hot" upper midrange and treble.
I've not heard the 225e's, (but I have heard the 225i's and the 325is's).

Nonetheless, I'd suggest that you'll probably be better off with the 225e's
considering your stated preferences.

Thanks! Just what I needed to know.
I ordered the 225e's and they should arrive Wednesday. They will be the first non-Sennheiser hifi quality headphone I've ever owned, so I'm quite curious.

I'll be using them with my FiiO E12 or Dragonfly at first. Time to start saving for a tube amp for the workplace.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back