On campus or off campus?
Nov 16, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #16 of 25
It depends way too much on factors that arent discussed in your poll. For example, I live in on campus housing, but our rooms are beautiful. They are comparable to off campus in terms of pricing as well. If either of those factors was any other way, I would want to live off campus.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #17 of 25
I live in off campus housing because it is cheaper. Our dorms are overpriced and you have to deal with roommates. In addition, our dorms you have to sign people in which gets annoying. Finally, our dining hall is terrible/expensive and it is difficult to cook in the dorms.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a freshman or transfer student it is best to live in the dorms (on campus). You meet tons of other people that are looking to make friends which is useful especially since you'll be spending the next few years there. After at least a year of living in the dorms you can find your roommate and move off campus. That's my suggestion.

agreed.

first year in dorms is CRUCIAL for networking

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pat1006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in off campus housing because it is cheaper. Our dorms are overpriced and you have to deal with roommates. In addition, our dorms you have to sign people in which gets annoying. Finally, our dining hall is terrible/expensive and it is difficult to cook in the dorms.

Hell yeah, that's EXACTLY my own experience!

I was lucky to live with a pretty good roommate who is very easy-going and didn't care much about my stuffs (headphones, amps, cables, blah blah). However, the guy I'm living with this year is not that good *sigh*.

And, the dining hall's food is ridiculously BAD. I can't even eat anything they cook. Believe it or not, the best food I can have in school are the cheeseburgers and chicken tenders (lol!).

But yes, if you're a freshman, living on campus is a must. All the necessary stuffs are around you, within walking distances. It's expensive, sure. I think I can save 50-60% of the cost if I live off-campus.

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 25
Living on campus surely has its benefits: socializing, lower threshold to attend lectures, places to concentrate to studying nearby (these are at the libraries, not on the dorm!) and the academic athmosphere to the environment just feels good.

However, I live far enough to say off campus. There are numerous cons such as half-hour trips from and to home. I'm antisocial enough to simply not enjoy wild fellow students' companion all day long. I've been seeking apartments nearby but they can be expensive. I voted for 'no preference' even though I recommend living in the student circles while you can. Provided that you aren't that antisocial like me.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is the general census that for the first year under ideal condition living on dorm is the better route?

YES! You'll have much more fun
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back