On campus or off campus?
Nov 16, 2009 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

hockeyb213

BANNED: BAD TRADER
I am going to make a poll of which you guys would rather go with and we can give reasoning in the thread I am curious to hear what you guys have to say because I am going to need to make this choice in a short period of time.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 25
I assume you're talking about housing?
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 25
If it was my decision I would like answers to things such as:
  • What is the availability of housing both on and off campus.
  • Can you afford off campus housing.
  • Would you benefit from a dorm environment.
  • Do you like roommates.
  • Do you have a mode of transportation.
  • Can you afford fuel / insurance / parking / etc if you use a car.
  • What is off campus commute time. Will winter weather affect making classes.
  • Will you work and how will that affect your decision.

Once upon a long time ago I liked off campus living.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 25
Yeah see I have reasons why I would and wouldn't want to do either of them. For instance, I like the fact that I can be on campus and be right near where everything is going on, but as a easily distracted person I feel like studying may be difficult.

As for off campus you have more space for less cash and whatnot but you have more liability a commute etc...

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 25
On campus. Being on campus is far easier than commuting every day. You can sleep in til 10 minutes before class and still make it on time, you can study on campus any time, and there is always help available.

That and the social life of living on campus is much better than living off campus. More friends, more partying, etc.

I can see your concern for getting distracted. I have lived on and off campus for my 2 months of being at school, and I must say there is really no difference. You are just as likely to get off track with work off campus than on campus.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 25
If you have the funds, on campus.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it was my decision I would like answers to things such as:
  • What is the availability of housing both on and off campus.
  • Can you afford off campus housing.
  • Would you benefit from a dorm environment.
  • Do you like roommates.
  • Do you have a mode of transportation.
  • Can you afford fuel / insurance / parking / etc if you use a car.
  • What is off campus commute time. Will winter weather affect making classes.
  • Will you work and how will that affect your decision.

Once upon a long time ago I liked off campus living.

+1
Also, where are your friends going to live? This is probably the most important question when it comes to having an enjoyable year. It's pretty annoying when half your friends live 15 minutes away.

P.S. I'm off campus this year but did the dorm through junior year.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #10 of 25
I commute, because I'd rather use rent money to buy more headphones and amps.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #11 of 25
On Campus.
No commuting to school and back, more social life, access to all its resources anytime, ...

Both have their Pros and Cons though, so may not be that simple.
smile.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #12 of 25
yeah money isn't a factor in my choice I just sorta wanted to have a place where I have a common room and you know not share a bathroom with 6 people XP but there is only 1 school where I am really looking to do it right now because I have a good friend who I can rent with since I wouldn't want to be in a place by myself since I get lonely fast
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 25
If you are a freshman, I recommend living on campus for at least one year. It is a totally different experience than living off campus, and you should at least try it out -- plenty of time later to move off campus.

I had always had my own bathroom connected to my room, and then I went to University and had to share a bathroom with an entire hall, so I definitely understand that sentiment -- at first it was annoying, but honestly, it makes you grow up a little bit.

Living on campus definitely made me more sociable, which is really important in college.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 25
If you are a freshman or transfer student it is best to live in the dorms (on campus). You meet tons of other people that are looking to make friends which is useful especially since you'll be spending the next few years there. After at least a year of living in the dorms you can find your roommate and move off campus. That's my suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back