On A Tight Budget
May 13, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #16 of 26
I'm looking for a sealed can or IEM partly because my computer is pretty loud, and these have peaked my interest. I find the HD-595s to be muffled, though, and since the HD-201s are from Sennheiser and are closed cans, I wonder if I would also find them to be muffled. This is just the way I hear them, btw; I am not stating that Senn HD-595s are muffled, just stating that they are to me (but if I move the cans out and away from my head so that the drivers are farther from my ears and there is some air between the cans and the outside, the muffled sound goes away). So, would I likely find the HD-201s to be muffled? Thanks for your help.

May 13, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #17 of 26
Your word "muffled" sounds like the Sennheiser veil-- which is mostly attributed to the 580/600/650 series, but I for one hear it on the 555/595 as well. Though the 201 is pretty far beneath all of these on a general scale, at least it doesn't have the veil, so fear not. Anway, at the price, it isn't a huge risk.

Then again, when you say that this muffled sound goes away when you hold the pads away from your head, it makes me think that perhaps the headphones just don't fit your ears, and that it's not the veil at all.

May 13, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
Then again, when you say that this muffled sound goes away when you hold the pads away from your head, it makes me think that perhaps the headphones just don't fit your ears, and that it's not the veil at all.

Well, if you want to try it out for yourself, you might get the same effect. Not being hostile, I just think I (might) have found what makes the HD-595s sound muffled (to some people).

Edited to remove that I would order the HD-201s. Think I'll go with the AKG K 81 DJs

May 13, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #19 of 26
anyone tried and/or compared the Sennheiser HD202 and HD437? because these two models are the most abundant of stocks here. HD201 stocks are quite hard to come by. i saw some around mid-april, but when i came back to the same shop during the first week of this month, there weren't any stocks anymore. and i have a friend who works near that store and drops by from time to time to check if there are new stocks of the HD201, unfortunately there still isn't any.
frown.gif

May 13, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #20 of 26
As I was saying kababayan, there are lots of HD201 stocks in a certain store in Park Square Makati (Forgot the name, costing about1.5k). And, as for the Grado's, I got my SR80 in Audio Den near Commonwealth, Quezon City, for about 5,500 pesos. They also have the SR60 for about 3k++

May 13, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #21 of 26
yup... i think we're thinking of the same store... Electronics Boutique at Park Square 1. that's where i saw the HD201's. unfortunately the first time i saw them, i didn't have money (they had around 5 units in stock back then). i was only looking around because i was meeting some friends at glorietta. and when i returned to the store a few weeks later, they were already out of stock. and i as posted earlier, my friend goes there from time to time to see if they have new stocks. sadly, there aren't any yet. sometimes i'm even thinking of trying out those IEM's by logitech for the PSP (Logitech Playgear Stealth, but they can also be used for portable audio players); they sell for about 700-800 pesos (US$16-18). for portability; i would be shuffling back and forth (commuting in a bus) from metro manila to bicol soon (travel time of 8-10 hours).

wow that's the first time i've heard Grado's here in the philippines. they're quite expensive huh?

May 14, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #22 of 26
201's

May 18, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #23 of 26
hi guys... have any of you tried audio-technica's ATH-M20? ATH-T33? i found they are both sold here in the philippines for the equivalent of US$30. my only problem is that the store that sells them doesn't give warranty on their headphones (not even a week)... i was able to try the ATH-T33 and it was very comfortable and sounded good. what do you think guys? or should i wait for new stocks of Sennheiser HD201 (also US$30) with 2-year distributor warranty?

May 20, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #25 of 26
i was able to test a Sennheiser HD201 unit recently and i was disappointed.
frown.gif
i tried it on my mp3 player and even at full volume levels and EQ on, the headphones still sounded weak.
frown.gif
i guess you guys were right that they are very hard to drive for portables. i guess i'll just wait for ATH-M20's to try until next week. my only choices now would be ATH-M20 and ATH-T33. i'll buy which one sounds better and is easily driven by my mp3 player. anyway their price difference is only the equivalent of US$2. :p

May 27, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #26 of 26
hi guys... i was able to purchase an Audio-Technica ATH-T22 for the equivalent of US$25... i chose it over the ATH-T33 (US$29) and ATH-M20 (US$31) because the ATH-T22 was the easiest to drive for my mp3 player. but for all the 3 A-T headphones that i tried, IMO A-T's are very comfortable to wear. for the sound... since they are my first pair of headphones... i couldn't compare them to other high-end cans. sorry.
frown.gif
but i have to say that they sound great from my mp3 player and they are very easy to drive. bass is sufficient too. gotta love the self-adjusting headband too. overall i'm very satisfied.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back