On a search for high end headphones V-MODA M-100? Senn. Momentums? ATH M-50x?
Jan 29, 2014 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Newah

New Head-Fier
EDIT: Also, left out that I'm looking for Over Ear headphones only. Closed back as well.
I'm in the market for a new pair of cans. I've been looking at these:

V-MODA M-100 (really like the specs / compact folding)
Sennheiser Momentums (love the style / cord, and am under the impression (as of now) that these produce truer sound than M-100)
Audio Technica M-50x (have head amazing things, also have heard they are very true sound)

Keep in mind that I work for Best Buy that can provide me discounts for the VMODA, and Senn, but not for the ATH M50(x). I can get the Momentums, and VMODAs for around the same price (at Best Buy) as ATH M50's (at amazon). Obviously I prefer to purchase the headphones from Best Buy, so again keep that in mind. (You might see the ATH-M50s at best buys website, but they must be from best buy or magnolia, not tiger direct or "marketplace" item, for a valid discount)

I listen to lots of Alternative, but also Pop Punk, EDM, R&B, some Acoustic stuff. Things like We The Kings (new & old), All Time LowTwenty One Pilots, Small Pools are my favorites. 

Exaggeration in bass is not my favorite, and I'd like to consider myself an Audiophile in training. Not that I need 100% flat response, but nothing the muffles any aspects of music. I also create music in Logic Pro, again, ranging from EDM to alternative. What I do in terms of music creation is for FUN. Nothing professional, I just mess around with recordings while I'm with friends.

In addition to your opinions and suggestions beyond what I've mentioned, I do have some general questions:

Drivers: 40mm vs 50mm - is the difference huge? The Momentums only have 40mm, M-100s are equipped with 50mm

Frequency ratings - I want to know what the big deal would be between 16Hz - 22KHz (Momentums), and 5Hz - 30KHz (M-100s). Would I notice?

Magnets - I hear that neodymium in the momentums are much better. But does the high freq. and bigger driver of the M-100 make up for that?

Thanks for anything and everything you guys. I'm completely open to any opinion.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 27
  I'm in the market for a new pair of cans. I've been looking at these:

V-MODA M-100 (really like the specs / compact folding)
Sennheiser Momentums (love the style / cord, and am under the impression (as of now) that these produce truer sound than M-100)
Audio Technica M-50x (have head amazing things, also have heard they are very true sound)

Keep in mind that I work for Best Buy that can provide me discounts for the VMODA, and Senn, but not for the ATH M50(x). I can get the Momentums, and VMODAs for around the same price (at Best Buy) as ATH M50's (at amazon). Obviously I prefer to purchase the headphones from Best Buy, so again keep that in mind. (You might see the ATH-M50s at best buys website, but they must be from best buy or magnolia, not tiger direct or "marketplace" item, for a valid discount)

I listen to lots of Alternative, but also Pop Punk, EDM, R&B, some Acoustic stuff. Things like We The Kings (new & old), All Time LowTwenty One Pilots, Small Pools are my favorites. 

Exaggeration in bass is not my favorite, and I'd like to consider myself an Audiophile in training. Not that I need 100% flat response, but nothing the muffles any aspects of music. I also create music in Logic Pro, again, ranging from EDM to alternative. What I do in terms of music creation is for FUN. Nothing professional, I just mess around with recordings while I'm with friends.

In addition to your opinions and suggestions beyond what I've mentioned, I do have some general questions:

Drivers: 40mm vs 50mm - is the difference huge? The Momentums only have 40mm, M-100s are equipped with 50mm

Frequency ratings - I want to know what the big deal would be between 16Hz - 22KHz (Momentums), and 5Hz - 30KHz (M-100s). Would I notice?

Magnets - I hear that neodymium in the momentums are much better. But does the high freq. and bigger driver of the M-100 make up for that?

Thanks for anything and everything you guys. I'm completely open to any opinion.

The frequency response means nothing.  Don't worry about the magnets or driver size either.

As for the Momentum, it has been surpassed by the plethora of headphones released post its release.  I see no reason to buy it, but if you like the style, I guess you could buy it.

As for the M100, it is a basshead can, so if you're not a basshead, or if you don't looove bass, stay away, there are better options.

I haven't heard the M50x (only the original M50).

Under $300:

ATH WS99
Focal Spirit One
ES FC300 (personal favorite right now)
Martin Logan Mikros 90
KEF M500
Thinksound On1
MDR 1R (not superior to the Momentum, but I like them more)
etc etc.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 27
I really do like bass, as long as it isn't overpowering other frequencies to the point that it muds them out. I've head the M-100's steer clear of that.

I can get those Onkyo ES FC300 for $80... that sounds like It might be my choice as of now because of that. They look super sharp too, also seem very portable. The Focal Spirit One, and sony MDR 1R I can get for about $180. Does the $100 justify itself against the Onkyo's?

Oh, the ATH M-50x say on Amazon that they'll be available come later Feb. They're new, I guess just a small upgrade from the M-50's

Also, left out that I'm looking for Over Ear headphones only. Closed back as well.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 27
The Onkyo is better than the 1r and FS1. At least imo. They cost $150 around me and that's a steal for the Audio you get. The ATH WS99 is pretty good too, but FC300 has more treble, and more balance.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 27
How does the Denon AH-D600 stack up against these? I also would love another persons opinion!

Right now I really am kind of stuck trying to pick between all of these 

I like the idea of the Onkyo ES-FC300 because they're half the price of the Momentums and M-100s. But are they really just as good if not better?

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 27
i own ath-m50 but not m50x (i've read that it is basically the same headphone , just a little upgrade like detachable cable). m50 has the bass but not exaggerated (far from beats' bass). the mid is kinda recess but it is still present . one thing you might note that it sometimes gives a piercing high if you listen to badly recorded song or the high in the song is already quite harsh. overall the m50 serve the purpose to me but if you have the budget to buy better headphone (more expensive), then why not. to me the price tag for ath m50 ($150) is really worth buying. even if it 200 bucks i would buy it also.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 27
I JUST got my m-100s 3 days ago. 
this is my take. Of course they are amazing headphones, but I think the price tag includes a lot of things many cans do not. They are amazing build quality. They are amazing looking cans. sexy as ****. They are customizable. They are portable. They fold up into a ball smaller than a soft ball. They come with a hard case. 30-60$ extra for most cans and you have no idea if the case you buys with fit as well as v-moda for v-moda case does. They come with 2 cables. You can buy a mic for them. They come with a 2 year 100% warranty. They come with a life time 50% immortal warranty. 
My point is. Some, IMO, the cash you are paying for quality and name brand. For THESE V-moda you are paying for ALL of the above things. I suspect that for 300$ you can find a better sounding pair of headphones. But if you want all of the above these cans kick ass. I plan, and already have in the last two days taken them and used them at home at work. For gaming, for music from my iphone and from my desktop. 
I am going on a 5 week trip. I would not haul around the M50s on a 5 week trip. 
I plan on taking these M100s to work every day. I would not take haul the M50s to work everyday. 

For me I was looking for an ultra versatile bad ass set of can. The m100s are it! 

Down the line I might get a pair for work, a pair for music as home, a pair for gaming, and JUST use my my m100s for travle and gaming when I need a mic (only when play with my friend, every other weekend). I'm not made out of cash, so that will probably never happen. So for me, the M100s are perfect and probably going to be my only pair of cans for the next year atleast. 

Depends on when and where you want to use your headphones IMHO 

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 27
How does the Denon AH-D600 stack up against these? I also would love another persons opinion!

Right now I really am kind of stuck trying to pick between all of these 

I like the idea of the Onkyo ES-FC300 because they're half the price of the Momentums and M-100s. But are they really just as good if not better?

Yes, buy IMO they are superior. You have to understand that higher price doesn't equal higher sound.

The M100 is about equal. If you buy the M100, they will last a life time. The M100 is great, but the FC300 is more balanced. It's as simple as that.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 27
The M-100 is NOT a bass head can like a lot of people have claimed, and it is great for alternatives, EDMs, and the like.  Remember that OP has employee decount on the M-100 making it the best buy out of the bunch.

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 27
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE bass. Now, I don't have a subwoofer, but I'm the kind of guy that drops mids and trebles in my car, boosting the bass to get a more dynamic sounds. However, I cant have these headphones mudding the mids and trebles, they must remain clear with trebles crisp, and mids warm.

The M-100's are still double the price as the FC300, they're just both available to me for cheaper than retail. I wish my store had these to try out :frowning2:

I'm not hating on FC300, I've just never heard a bunch about them, compared to the M100s. Do the FC300s fold up nicely? Thats important to me, as I'm a very mobile college student.

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #12 of 27
Can you get a discount with akg? The k545s will work very well with alternative, and surprisingly have more sub-bass than the k550. Although the headband is rather large, they are very comfortable, too. Heck, if your best buy has a magnolia, they might have them on display, too.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 27
Yeah those k545s look really nice. kind of in between the prices for M-100 and FC300

They look pretty sharp. I really do want a couple more opinions, simply because I'm very new to expensive headphones. Having one person (no offense to anyone) tell me one set is better than the rest is difficult to take in with full certainty. I would love more of an explanation, other than "It sounds better". What about it sounds better? Is there more "space" in one? That's one of my favorite things, a dynamic spacious, spread out sound of good cans.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the M100's, with FC300's and K545s close second as well.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 27
Like you said the M100s are double. But they come with a custom fit case. That is a 30-60$ value RIGHT there. Are you going to me running from class to class with your headphones around your neck? Then no need to worry about a case. 
Do you ever want to use the microphone function on the you cell phone? The M100s come with a cable for that. You get two cables out of the box. So you can always leave one at home, one in your back pack (or at work like me). The M100s will literally last you a lifetime. why? Well they are built well, but you are also paying for an amazing warrenty. 100% @ 2 years, 50% for LIFE. 
I had a pair of v-moda ear buds for 4 years (back in college) one day one ear stopped working. Sent them to v-moda they gave me 50% of the next paid no questions asked. Have had those about 4 years, no problems at all. 
With the m100s you are paying for extra. Do you want or need that extra? I was right where you are. There was no way I going over 150$. No WAY! I had a pair of Crossfade LP1 in my basket at 106$ and I changed my mind and bought the m100s. I dont regret this stupidly expensive purchase because it fit EVERY thing I was looking for in a set of cans. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 27
$80 is a great deal on the Onkyo.  Lowest I've seen is $150.  Just a heads up, those are "on-ear" headphones.  If you're looking for a good budget headphones, I like the UE6000 for $69 at Tiger Direct.  I think you can even demo those at your place of employment.  In passive mode, they are fairly flat.  In active mode, they add a good amount of bass and highs...all around power surge.  I've also seen the Philips Uptowns for $50-80 which is a decent price for budget over ear headphones.  

The M100 and Momentums are very nice but at a price premium.  If you want to be in the $300 range, which sounds like your original plan, they are both a great choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back