On a mission to like jazz
Dec 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #61 of 5,049
This is my new favorite CD.................and it will allow you to like jazz.  A lot.

Dec 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #63 of 5,049
For modern artists Jamie Cullum is a favorite.

Here's a list of other Jazz artists to check out:
John Pizzarelli
Moagie Santos
Nina Simone
Miles Davis
Ornette Coleman
Ray Charles
Dexter Gordon
Ella Fitzgerald
Frank Sinatra
Albert Ayler
Benny Goodman
Billie Holiday
Bobby Mcferin
Charlies Mingus
Chet Baker
Cole Porter
Dave Brubeck
Gerry Mulligan
Herbie Handcock
Hermeto Pascoal
John Coltrane
Stan Getz
Sonny Rollins
Thelonious Monk
Tom Jobin

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #65 of 5,049
I'm very excited to have discovered Rudresh Mahanthappa. Now I just need to buy one of his albums. Here he performs with the hr-Bigband.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #66 of 5,049
A big thanks to everybody who has participated in this thread. There has been a lot of music suggested here, and I have discovered a lot already. I am trying my hardest to try as much as possible of what everybody suggests. There has been a lot suggested, listening to everything that everybody suggested even at this point would take a good while. 

Again, thanks, and feel free to keep this thread going.

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #67 of 5,049
  A big thanks to everybody who has participated in this thread. There has been a lot of music suggested here, and I have discovered a lot already. I am trying my hardest to try as much as possible of what everybody suggests. There has been a lot suggested, listening to everything that everybody suggested even at this point would take a good while. 

The world of jazz is truly vast and multifaceted, so take your time. I don't remember what gave me the spark to make a conscious effort to try to get into jazz, but I'm pretty sure it took me at least six months of dedicated listening before I started developing the mindset for how to listen to jazz. By no means do I mean to be discouraging, but jazz simply can be more demanding than some other forms of music – in return it can be more rewarding as well. As long as you have an interest in learning to like and enjoy jazz, I'm convinced all it takes is to listen more and more and at some point you'll notice something has simply clicked in your head and you realize an entirely new world has opened for you.

Edit: It's kind of like learning a new language actually.

Here's a wonderful rendition of Stolen Moments which is a song that opens Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth album, one of my favorite jazz albums of all time.

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #68 of 5,049

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #69 of 5,049
5 more new purchases:

Oh Yeeeeaaaa!!!! Got all 5 for $30, had a $25 gift card, so they only cost me $5!!! Merry Christmas to me!

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #70 of 5,049
  5 more new purchases:

Oh Yeeeeaaaa!!!! Got all 5 for $30, had a $25 gift card, so they only cost me $5!!! Merry Christmas to me!

Great picks, I really love Weather Report. I knew Miroslav Vitous back in the day (1970's) a really nice fellow and a great bassist.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #71 of 5,049
  Great picks, I really love Weather Report. I knew Miroslav Vitous back in the day (1970's) a really nice fellow and a great bassist.

Starting with the album "Time Out". It's great so far. I'm liking my new Jazz journey quite a bit. It's a nice change from all the aggressive music I usually used to listen to. And so far, all of these Jazz recording have superb audio quality, unlike rock and metal where the sound quality is very hit or miss.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #72 of 5,049
  Starting with the album "Time Out". It's great so far. I'm liking my new Jazz journey quite a bit. It's a nice change from all the aggressive music I usually used to listen to. And so far, all of these Jazz recording have superb audio quality, unlike rock and metal where the sound quality is very hit or miss.

I've always loved good fusion jazz. Take a listen to the Yellow Jackets or Jean Luc Ponty. There is plenty to listen to and the quality of musicianship is here as well.

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #73 of 5,049

I came from the prog/rock/metal thing as well and then into jazz. you need to have stepping stones. Going straight from something like the Aristocrats to Ornet Coleman/John coletrane probably wont work. I went from Dreamtheatre, Syphony x, Liquid tension, steve vai and moved towards the mahavisnhu orchestra, Herbie hancock's funk then his jazz and then into miles davis and the rest. not saying this will work for you but it might. Good luck. 

Also try and find some session players that you like that play with lots of jazz and fusion groups and artists. For me players like Steve Gadd and Eric gale worked because they played with everybody across different genres. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #74 of 5,049
  Not sure if drinking Scotch and modding cans is a good mix. 
eek.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuA1dc1zKzE

whilst u are drinking n modding...listen to this :p

I'd say grab the Q701 and do the bass mod on it. 

Haha, for now it's just music and chilling. Spinning Frank Zappa's Hot Rats atm. Pretty far out and groovy. I suppose it's always good when a record makes you want to get your instrument of choice out and play along. Conversely, it's dawning on me that I'd never be able to make my alto sax convey this much funk. 
Lorspeaker- that track's so upbeat! Digging the subdued house-y flavour. 
Q701 does sound pretty close to what I'm after, but I'm being budget conscious & looking at something like the Yulong d100 or Maverick D1 as source. Currently plugging my 271's into a Denon A400, of which I know nothing about, but it sounds lovely to my noob ears.  

JasonB- I'm listening to Head Hunters now, woah there. Looking for a copy now. 

As always, can't get enough of the suggestions- more than enough music to keep this journey progressing at a nice pace. 

Happy listening, everyone! Peace :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back