On a mission to like jazz
Nov 29, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,411 of 5,063
50s Miles Davis, I'll check out his catalog for that timeline. To me, this album just hits the slow just right and the trumpet cuts through perfectly. Thanks for the insight Doc!
The simple answer is, most Miles from the 50s should have the same musical and emotional approach...Things change going into the 60s. Off the top of my head, Chet Baker would push the same buttons, either solo or with the Gerry Milligan Quartet. The previously mentioned Jim Hall, especially some dates he did with Paul Desmond, would also have similar feel. There is a whole West Coast Cool School in the 50s that ran with some of Miles' concept, though Miles had the amazing ability to blew hot and cool simultaneously.

OK, a bit more detaiil on Miles' albums...you can almost put them up on a wall, blindfold and throw darts, buy whichever one they land on (which is why he was the preeminent jazz star in the 50's, and his albums wound up in collections of not only the hardcore jazz fan, but any music lover at the time). He recorded for both Prestige and Columbia at the time, which was some sort of unusual and special arrangement, where Prestige had signed him, but recognized he would get more exposure from the major label, which would also help their own Miles releases sell. "Kind Of Blue", on Columbia, is one most audiophiles and music lovers have (if you only have 1 Miles album, or 1 jazz album, odds are good it's this one). It has been released in audiophile vinyl, countless special editions, and is deserving of all the attention, for "So What", if for nothing else. "Sketches of Spain" features Miles with Gil Evans (arranger), and features a fabulous version of "Concerto De Aranjuez". "Miles Ahead" is also a collaboration with Gil Evans, fine album. I have a box of The Complete Prestige Recordings..."Round about Midnight", "Cookin'" and "Relaxin'" are fine albums. "Someday My Price Will Come" is another fine Columbia (one of the few that don't feature John Coltrane). And, going back further, "Birth of the Cool", really early Miles, just after leaving Charlie Parker, some great pieces on this album.

Here is a great version of "If I Were a Bell" from Relaxin'...used it for my first dance at my wedding.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #1,412 of 5,063
And, it's not that the 60s and Beyond Miles is bad...far from it, did fabulous stuff, but his style continually changed, became more abstract, went electric, different from the track you posted.

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,413 of 5,063
Not exactly jazz, but I've been enjoying this a lot. The piano vamping towards the end is very nice.

Just got to listen, really dug it! Sure, Latin Jazz is an offshoot of jazz (Diz and Bird played with latin players quite a bit...)

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,414 of 5,063
Excellent excellent! I pulled up his catalog to see what he did during that time period and it was quite a list which included collaborations. These suggestions will make my Spotify trials more honed in. Cheers! !
OK, a bit more detaiil on Miles' albums...you can almost put them up on a wall, blindfold and throw darts, buy whichever one they land on (which is why he was the preeminent jazz star in the 50's, and his albums wound up in collections of not only the hardcore jazz fan, but any music lover at the time). He recorded for both Prestige and Columbia at the time, which was some sort of unusual and special arrangement, where Prestige had signed him, but recognized he would get more exposure from the major label, which would also help their own Miles releases sell. "Kind Of Blue", on Columbia, is one most audiophiles and music lovers have (if you only have 1 Miles album, or 1 jazz album, odds are good it's this one). It has been released in audiophile vinyl, countless special editions, and is deserving of all the attention, for "So What", if for nothing else. "Sketches of Spain" features Miles with Gil Evans (arranger), and features a fabulous version of "Concerto De Aranjuez". "Miles Ahead" is also a collaboration with Gil Evans, fine album. I have a box of The Complete Prestige Recordings..."Round about Midnight", "Cookin'" and "Relaxin'" are fine albums. "Someday My Price Will Come" is another fine Columbia (one of the few that don't feature John Coltrane). And, going back further, "Birth of the Cool", really early Miles, just after leaving Charlie Parker, some great pieces on this album.

Here is a great version of "If I Were a Bell" from Relaxin'...used it for my first dance at my wedding.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,415 of 5,063

bought this cd recently, pretty good
L3000.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,416 of 5,063
Love Carla Bley, great stuff, check out her big band stuff.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,417 of 5,063
  Not exactly jazz, but I've been enjoying this a lot. The piano vamping towards the end is very nice.

I've owned this since it was 1st released, it's historic!  For a more modern take I'd very highly recommend the Fort Apache Band (feat. founding members Andy & Jerry Gonzalez from Grupo Folklorico).  Try Obatala and Rumba Para Monk, terrific records!

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,419 of 5,063

bought this cd recently, pretty good :L3000:

One that popped into my head is The Carla Bley Big Band Goes to Church, love that album!

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #1,421 of 5,063
Really nice take on the Ornette Coleman classic (I love the percussion)-just have to post the original (because that's the kind of obsessive geek I am :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back