On a mission to like jazz
Nov 24, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #1,396 of 5,063
  Someone should make a "modern jazz music discovery and discussion" thread......

Absolutely! I listen to jazz all the time. But mostly jazz from this century.  There´s so much fantastic modern jazz released all the time.
Bands like Phronesis, Kairos 4tet, Avishai Cohen Trio, Stefan Aeby Trio, Eple Trio, Nic Bärtchs Ronin and Helge Lien Trio. (To mention a few)

I would like to see more recommendations in this category. I know there´s a ton of great jazz I haven´t heard.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #1,397 of 5,063
I listen to jazz "of this century"as well, have only heard Avishai Cohen of your list. Amy specific albums from the rest of the list? (don't actually see the need for another jazz recommendation thread, that's basically what this is. Find it hard to follow things when they get spread out over multiple threads. Though I'll follow our if it is started). Recent albums I've liked include: You've Beenwatching Me, Tim Bernes Snakeoil, Viper's Drag, Henry Butler-Steve Bernstein and the Hot Nine, A Trumpet In the Morning, Marty Ehrlich Large Ensemble, Snowy Egrets, Myra Melford, This is the Day, Giovanni Guidi Trio, Messin' with Mr. T, Dave Stryker, In For a Potent, in fit a Pound, Henry Thrradgill's Zooid, Double Bering, Georg Breinschmidt...
For starters.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,399 of 5,063
Found a series today called "JazzCuba". Anyone else have experience with this collection?

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,400 of 5,063
Just ordered the Kimani Washington from Amazon (had it my cart for a bit, didn't get around to pulling the trigger until just now), listening to it on TIDAL during lunch at the office, it really rocks!

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #1,401 of 5,063
The kid's getting around.  Latest copy of Jazzwise magazine just arrived...

Edit...oooh, and he gets Jazzwise Critics Poll 2015 Album of the Year award
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #1,402 of 5,063
Great album, on its way from Amazon (have been listening on TIDAL)

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #1,403 of 5,063
Just going to put this out there as the sign-on windows closes. Each year there's a Head-fi gift exchange which involves being partnered up with someone in the USA or Internationally (you pick) to exchange 2-3 CDs/digital albums/ and sometimes even vinyl. I've joined the last 2 years and each year I found a new artist or discovered a taste in music I haven't before. Plus it's nice to exchange music and see what other people are really into, to have it then something you enjoy as well.

Sign-ups close next Saturday so get on-board and spread the gift of your music knowledge!!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/786823/2015-head-fi-holiday-gift-exchange

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,406 of 5,063
Question for you seasoned jazz guys, what other albums have this same sound/feel as Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'Echaufaud?

The simple answer is, most Miles from the 50s should have the same musical and emotional approach...Things change going into the 60s. Off the top of my head, Chet Baker would push the same buttons, either solo or with the Gerry Milligan Quartet. The previously mentioned Jim Hall, especially some dates he did with Paul Desmond, would also have similar feel. There is a whole West Coast Cool School in the 50s that ran with some of Miles' concept, though Miles had the amazing ability to blew hot and cool simultaneously.

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #1,407 of 5,063
50s Miles Davis, I'll check out his catalog for that timeline. To me, this album just hits the slow just right and the trumpet cuts through perfectly. Thanks for the insight Doc!
The simple answer is, most Miles from the 50s should have the same musical and emotional approach...Things change going into the 60s. Off the top of my head, Chet Baker would push the same buttons, either solo or with the Gerry Milligan Quartet. The previously mentioned Jim Hall, especially some dates he did with Paul Desmond, would also have similar feel. There is a whole West Coast Cool School in the 50s that ran with some of Miles' concept, though Miles had the amazing ability to blew hot and cool simultaneously.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,409 of 5,063
Another recent discovery... a great artist, album and recording!

tidal.com/track/8956795

Enrico Pieranunzi Quartet - Sweet and Lovely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back