On a mission to like jazz
Mar 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #331 of 5,021
  Its also a music education thing, they don't know the differences between 2 genres like jazz and blues. People don't see  that jazz music is based on complex modal changes and intricate chord patterns whereas blues for the most part is a lot more basic like minor penatatonic scales and 12 bar blues. 

Even the differences between Be-Bop and Hard-Bop are hard to describe if you don't play and instrument. When you listen to hard bop without this knowledge it doesn't dawn on you that the differences are melody based passages as apposed to chordal based music. 

No offense intended but it the kind of nit picking you've outlined above that turns so many people off to jazz. I realize that I am equally guilty of the same offense with several of my own posts. For me it's less about the sub-genres within jazz as opposed to the general lumping of anything slightly "jazzy" into the jazz category. For example this thread should be highlighting many of the fabulous young jazz musicians making great music but instead we get lots and lots of mentions of vocalists, jazz or otherwise.

But enough bitching about it. Here is a video to one of the best young groups in jazz today: Mostly Other People Do the Killing - this quintet is the real deal and every one of their recordings is better than their previous recording. Highly recommended. Please give them a good listen.

/img/vimeo_logo.png 

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #332 of 5,021
Has anyone heard of the Remi Panossian Trio?  I just found out about them while playing with Spotify.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #333 of 5,021

No offense intended but it the kind of nit picking you've outlined above that turns so many people off to jazz. I realize that I am equally guilty of the same offense with several of my own posts. For me it's less about the sub-genres within jazz as opposed to the general lumping of anything slightly "jazzy" into the jazz category. For example this thread should be highlighting many of the fabulous young jazz musicians making great music but instead we get lots and lots of mentions of vocalists, jazz or otherwise.

But enough bitching about it. Here is a video to one of the best young groups in jazz today: Mostly Other People Do the Killing - this quintet is the real deal and every one of their recordings is better than their previous recording. Highly recommended. Please give them a good listen.

/img/vimeo_logo.png 

will do - sounds interesting 

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #334 of 5,021
  will do - sounds interesting 

Hopefully after hearing them you will feel a strong need to thank me
biggrin.gif

Here's another first rate group that you may not be familiar with: The Claudia Quintet

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #335 of 5,021

Hopefully after hearing them you will feel a strong need to thank me
biggrin.gif

Here's another first rate group that you may not be familiar with: The Claudia Quintet

keep that stuff coming, i appreciate these kind of posts. Maybe you could make a list of good contemporary jazz that you like? I love reading lists
biggrin.gif
. By contemporary I mean anything in the last 20 years. It doesn't matter about the styles

If you know of anything a long the lines of "live at the village vanguard" by Wynton Marsalis i would appreciate that. I love the mix of styles on that box set. I think the monk covers are brilliant. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #336 of 5,021
just listening to the claudia quintet album now - its brilliant!!

Also listened to the first few tracks on - forty forth - i think i like this even more. Real progressive stuff, very cool 

the first track on there - pen argyl, i thought the tempo of the base line kept changing. I went back and re listened to the track a few times 
and i dont think it changes at all, that drummer is amazing the way he makes it seem like that. I have heard that kind of thing done before in 
songs but not to that extent. Very impressive! I would love to see these guys live. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #337 of 5,021
  keep that stuff coming, i appreciate these kind of posts. Maybe you could make a list of good contemporary jazz that you like? I love reading lists
biggrin.gif
. By contemporary I mean anything in the last 20 years. It doesn't matter about the styles

If you know of anything a long the lines of "live at the village vanguard" by Wynton Marsalis i would appreciate that. I love the mix of styles on that box set. I think the monk covers are brilliant. 

Please check my latest post about Wadada Leo Smith on the "Jazz Recommendations from this Century" thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/581737/jazz-recommendations-from-this-century/210#post_10355656

My post is #216

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #338 of 5,021
thanks i will check now

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #339 of 5,021
Mar 13, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #340 of 5,021
  just listening to the claudia quintet album now - its brilliant!!

Also listened to the first few tracks on - forty forth - i think i like this even more. Real progressive stuff, very cool 

the first track on there - pen argyl, i thought the tempo of the base line kept changing. I went back and re listened to the track a few times 
and i dont think it changes at all, that drummer is amazing the way he makes it seem like that. I have heard that kind of thing done before in 
songs but not to that extent. Very impressive! I would love to see these guys live. 

I'll check out the Claudia Quintet.

But what is "forty forth"? Is that an album name, or a band name?

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #342 of 5,021
Mar 16, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #343 of 5,021
edit

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #344 of 5,021
  "Forty Fort" is a 2009 release from the group Mostly Other People Do the Killing

After listening to both groups for the past few days i think i prefer The Caudia Quintet. I am really enjoying the album "what is the beautiful". I cant pull myself away from it. It sounds great on HD800

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #345 of 5,021
  After listening to both groups for the past few days i think i prefer The Caudia Quintet. I am really enjoying the album "what is the beautiful". I cant pull myself away from it. It sounds great on HD800

So I'm batting .500, not too shabby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back