On a mission to like jazz
Mar 26, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #2,281 of 5,027
  Anyone ever hear Alan Holdsworth? When he lets it rip and plays sax like licks on guitar it's hard to believe.

Many times.  They play him on our local Jazz station's Saturday night Fusion program all the time.  Great stuff!

They played some collaborative stuff from him and Tony Williams (RIP) last night that was very good.  Forgot the name of the disc. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #2,282 of 5,027
He was pretty well known (in jazz/fusion circles, which doesn't make you all that well known) for a while, haven't heard his name recently, though. Great chops!

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #2,283 of 5,027

Many times.  They play him on our local Jazz station's Saturday night Fusion program all the time.  Great stuff!

They played some collaborative stuff from him and Tony Williams (RIP) last night that was very good.  Forgot the name of the disc. 

I know of three albums the two were together on. The first one, "Tony Williams Believe it." which was good , "Million Dollar Legs" which has some bad disco like stuff on it and a remake of the first two with a few extra bad songs "Tony Williams Lifetime the Collection."

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #2,284 of 5,027

You have a local jazz station?  With a Fusion program?  Where do you live?  I literally sold all my tuners because New York FM is an absolute wasteland of crap!

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #2,285 of 5,027
Really? WBGO? WKCR? BGO is a fine Jazz station... KCR isn't full time Jazz but dedicates a significant portion of us schedule to jazz. And WFMU is free-form, mixes it all up, but some of the DJs have a significant amount of jazz in The mix. Of course, you don't need a tuner any more; I stream radio most places other than my car. Or, is it just fusion that is lacking...

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #2,286 of 5,027
I'm about 50 miles north of the city, so reception is spotty on those niche stations.  All I get reliably are the numb-skulled local "music and information stations" which provide little of either.  We used to have WRVR in the seventies that played an awesome mix of all kinds of jazz, but they deteriorated into a country and western station literally at 12:00 noon one day and have since fallen into the light pop camp.  It's sad.  Thank God for Pandora.

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #2,287 of 5,027
OK, saying you are out of range of NY radio it's a bit different than saying it is all crap (though MOST of it is...). And, I remember WRVR, it spent a good amount of its programming playing "jazz lite",which is fine if that's what you like, but I wasn't too upset when it stopped its "jazz" programming, especially since WBGO started up soon afterword to pick up the slack. My opinion, of course.

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #2,288 of 5,027
(check out WFMU's "Give the Drummer Some" internet stream for an interesting, eclectic mix of music including a lot of jazz...)

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #2,289 of 5,027
OK, saying you are out of range of NY radio it's a bit different than saying it is all crap (though MOST of it is...). And, I remember WRVR, it spent a good amount of its programming playing "jazz lite",which is fine if that's what you like, but I wasn't too upset when it stopped its "jazz" programming, especially since WBGO started up soon afterword to pick up the slack. My opinion, of course.

WRVR wasn't really "jazz lite", as opposed to lite jazz or smooth jazz or acid jazz or whatever you want to call the drivel Kenny G or David Benoit puts out (which didn't even exist back then).  They played everyone from Charlie Parker to Miles Davis to Return to Forever.  As a matter of fact, I remember the day clearly...I got out of my car to go to Radio Shack and Charlie Mingus was playing.  When I got back they were playing some country garbage.  I worked in an audio store at the time so I rushed back to work and turned on all the digital receivers we sold (there weren't that many back then) to ensure that I was tuned to the right station.  I was.  I even called WRVR and said that someone had hijacked their output and the guy said that they'd "gone as far as they could with the jazz format and were trying something new".  The next day Les Davis announced a country song named something like "I Don't Remember" and commented "Oh yes we do, oh yes we do..."

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #2,290 of 5,027
  You have a local jazz station?  With a Fusion program?  Where do you live?  I literally sold all my tuners because New York FM is an absolute wasteland of crap!

Yes, WGMC in Greece NY (North of Rochester).  They stream also (but to me that is not worth the signal degradation).  Pure FM is way better and they play some vinyl - not a digital fan.   http://www.jazz901.org/ 

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #2,291 of 5,027
@jnorris-I agree RVR was never "jazz lite" the way some stations are smooth jazz these days, that is, saccharine, no balls music. But, if I remember correctly (and it was a while ago, I'm getting older, I could very well be wrong), by the end, while they did program some "classic" jazz, it had become pretty tame; that is, stuff that was new in jazz didn't interest them much. But, again, I could be remembering wrong. (now, where did I put my keys...) :)

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,294 of 5,027
@jnorris-I agree RVR was never "jazz lite" the way some stations are smooth jazz these days, that is, saccharine, no balls music. But, if I remember correctly (and it was a while ago, I'm getting older, I could very well be wrong), by the end, while they did program some "classic" jazz, it had become pretty tame; that is, stuff that was new in jazz didn't interest them much. But, again, I could be remembering wrong. (now, where did I put my keys...)
smily_headphones1.gif

I lost my keys the last time I was at The Bottom Line and haven't seen them since.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2,295 of 5,027
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back