On a mission to like jazz
Mar 14, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #2,255 of 5,029
  Last Nite - Larry Carlton  Incredibly virtuosic playing and one of the coolest versions of "So What?' I have ever heard. Worth checking out.

His stuff is great!  Ever listen to "finger prints"?  Good stuff.

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2,257 of 5,029

Just ordered this LP of my favorite Jazz album. Bin curious about these Mofi pressings, if I like it it will be fantastic, since the recording I have is already good enough SQ..

If it's nothing special sq wise I still have this on LP now and save meself loads of money wanting to buy all the other mofi (music matter and the likes) stuff.

win win

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #2,258 of 5,029
Curious if you'll find the Mo Fi version an upgrade sonically, what version do you have now. I've liked the sound of most Mo Fi divine I've gotten.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #2,260 of 5,029

Just ordered this LP of my favorite Jazz album. Bin curious about these Mofi pressings, if I like it it will be fantastic, since the recording I have is already good enough SQ..

If it's nothing special sq wise I still have this on LP now and save meself loads of money wanting to buy all the other mofi (music matter and the likes) stuff.

win win

I have the SACD. In fact I have quite a few of the MFSL Miles Davis SACDs. Overall, I think they sound quite good. I had resisted the live albums (that and "Four and More"), because I am suspicious generally of the sound quality of live albums from that era. However, when I found them on sale for half off, I grabbed them. Never owned any other versions, so I can't really compare them to anything. One thing immediately to note - MFSL has generally (always?) stuck with the original mixes, so differences from the many remixed Sony albums are immediately apparent.

Not quite jazz, but MFSL's versions of Frank Sinatra's "Songs for Swingin' Lovers" and "A Swingin' Affair" are marvelous. Those are albums I've known since the original LPs my father bought in the 1950s, and they have never sounded this good in digital.

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #2,263 of 5,029
First time I heard of Leszek Moszdzer, I will explore some of his recordings. Thanks for the tip.

Something in the same direction:
Lars Danielson (he collaborated w. Leszek)
Iiro Rantala
Didier Squiban

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #2,264 of 5,029
  First time I heard of Leszek Moszdzer, I will explore some of his recordings. Thanks for the tip.

Something in the same direction:
Lars Danielson (he collaborated w. Leszek)
Iiro Rantala
Didier Squiban

I've heard both Rantala and Danielsson live. Iiro was the person who inspired me to buy a digital piano of my own. Both have amazing personalities and character to their playing. Hearing Danielsson play duets with his wife Cæcilie Norby was definitely a very memorable time.

The last playlist features Lars Danielsson on bass, Leszek Możdżer on piano, Nguyên Lê on guitar and Cæcilie Norby on vocals. Such amazing musicianship.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #2,265 of 5,029

eek.gif
too good to be true Jazz, I must be dreaming..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back