Ominous prediction for audiophiles using iPhone as a source
Dec 24, 2021 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pk4425

1000+ Head-Fier
This story from respected tech journal Ars Technica predicts the next iPhone may be released in 2022 WITHOUT any ports. Goodbye, Lightning, no USB-C. Only wireless charging.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...pe=owned&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

That would REALLY suck for audiophiles who use an iPhone, the Camera Connection Cable and a portable amp or the Lightning dongle to drive wired headphones. That would disappear, and Bluetooth connections would be the only option when using an iPhone as a source.

NO BUENO.

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 17
No reason to use an iPhone these days as an audiophile source, Androids are pretty good and will have USB-C and LDAC.
There's plenty of reason if your entire digital world lives in the iOS operating system. I'm a Mac-iPhone guy and do not want to leave. Android can't touch that kind of seamless integration.

Jan 6, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 17
Apple could at least incorporate hifi BT codecs

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 17
Not sure if the lightning port will disappear already with the next iPhone generation, but I agree it will happen earlier or later!

But I don`t think that Apple will incorporate third party BT codecs!
I think the following scenario will happen: Apple will introduce their own new BT codec (or some sort of similar tech, something like "Aiplay to go") to play lossless music wirelessly and make cables completely obsolete (at least in their opinion). They will first incorporate it into their own technology (new versions of Airpods Pro and Max) and others can do so, too, if they pay a license fee. Eventually bigger Hifi companies (Fiio etc.) will follow to build it into their devices and it will more and more become an alternative to the AptX Lossless standard.....similar to what AAC has been to MP3.

Take me by the word (in a few years)!:v::floatsmile:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 17
Double Post

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 17
Not sure if the lightning port will disappear already with the next iPhone generation, but I agree it will happen earlier or later!

But I don`t think that Apple will incorporate third party BT codecs!
I think the following scenario will happen: Apple will introduce their own new BT codec (or some sort of similar tech, something like "Aiplay to go") to play lossless music wirelessly and make cables completely obsolete (at least in their opinion). They will first incorporate it into their own technology (new versions of Airpods Pro and Max) and others can do so, too, if they pay a license fee. Eventually bigger Hifi companies (Fiio etc.) will follow to build it into their devices and it will more and more become an alternative to the AptX Lossless standard.....similar to what AAC has been to MP3.

Take me by the word (in a few years)!:v::floatsmile:
With rumors of the Airpod Pro 2 having lossless audio, I can see Apple creating their own codec to be a near certainty, especially with their history of creating their own competing formats in the past.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 17
Hahaha, I’ll believe that when we see it. The most reliable leakers have been “confirming” USB-C for a while now. Obviously hoping USB-C comes to the iPhones but, juse have 0 hope at this point :/
Goes to show what goes on in theses threads. If it isn’t a rumour about iPhone’s physical port missing on the next model, it’s about replacing it with another standard, … or probably both… #jussayin

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #13 of 17
You forgot to mention that same rumors who say that "all wireless" also say that apple will add lossless audio streaming by using Ultrawideband technology for real Highres lossless streaming. Starting with Airpod Pro 2 and then also licensing program for 3rd party adapters. (using ALAC - maybe upgraded a bit - as codec)
I doubt the will go for any new 3rd party BT codec also also won't do an own. - At max they gonna upgrade their BT Stack to the latest Version and so implement LC3.
But i really think they try to switch as much as possible to UWB as they see BT (classic) as a legacy technology. Like Audio and connection to the Watch and maybe a future Headset and so on.
And they already have basically everything in place. They already use ALAC on Apple music (to foward it without transcoding) and they have a (basically not used yet) UWB Chip in every new iPhone since 2019, also newer watches and HomePod minis.. Seems only the development of a new small chip on receiving side for AirPods and other stuff took longer than expected.

About USB-C:
IF Apple doesn't want to go all wireless but have physical ports they are forced to have USB-C. If not they won't be allowed to sell their devices in some huge markets. Like the EU soon.
Soon means in 2 years. And as Apple usually also sells their previous Generation of devices for a cheaper price in their lineup they have to implement it a year earlier.
So yeah, it is very likely that their iphone 14 lineup will get either usb-c or they go all wireless.

I personally expect both this year. Some presentation about how great UWB is compared to BT. Like for having lossless Audio on their new AirPod Pro and high transfer speeds for normal data sync and so on. And Pro iPhones with a usb-c port marketed for allowing high transfer rates for ProRes Video.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #14 of 17
I cannot imagine Apple not offering at least one of the better models with an USB-C port… #jussayin
Tech aficionados have hoped for that for 10 years ... with no wishes granted. At least the iPad now has USB-C, but I don't see Apple relinquishing the chance to exploit its extremely loyal customer base for profit by continuing on its path with proprietary connectors, audio formats, etc.

One wrinkle: Is it true that the EU is requiring USB-C ports on electronic devices with ports in a few years? I'm American; I don't know. If so, that's a meddlesome, BS move by the EU. Companies should be allowed to market whatever standard they want as long as those standards are safe and function properly. Let the market decide, not the government.

Apple likes to say its rationale is quality for taking a different path than the Android world. Maybe. But the main reason is all of these proprietary features generate tremendous income within the Apple ecosystem.

As Randy Newman sang, "It's money that matters ... "

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back