OMG, xin amp is getting even smaller
Sep 11, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 64
...beat me to it. The guy is amazing. I've heard his amps with Grados and it directly compared very favorably to an RA-1...well, that *was* with a Slim X PCDP playing redbook, but hey...

The guy is awesome and I wish he were back here.

- Sir Mr. Matt

Sep 11, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #17 of 64
I have one coming, the first one off the line and will post first impressions. Yeah, my first question and job, how long will the battery last? If I know Xin, he has probably got that one worked out to a resonable level though. Xin Feng is a most amazing and gifted fellow.

Regards,

Bob

Sep 12, 2003 at 1:12 AM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Actually it's a bit bigger than Xin's amp (regrettably, I have a Boosteroo
biggrin.gif
)

Shame on you!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
Toilet it!!!

Sep 12, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #19 of 64
It's supposed to go 20 hours at the 5.5v config, or you can get the 3.3v config and have 40 hours off a single AAA battery. Not bad. I wonder which would be better for Ety's. . .

Sep 12, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #20 of 64
what i am really excited about is the usage of the voltage boosta with 3 aaa batteries. it means no external booster is necessary nemore, probably. but again, the size is so impressive.

Sep 12, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #21 of 64
Latest communique from Xin:

Hi Bob,
Just to give you some updates.
I've made three Inline amps in different configurations.
All sound very good. The one using AD823 still sounds
better than the one using OPA2132.
There are still two small issues that I have to solve
before I send one to you.
1) Battery auto shut off. The IC is supposed to shut off
as soon as battery drops to 0.85V. But it is not even at
0.8V. The problem is at such low level, the batter's
resistance becomes too high and the amp will scream.
While some customers might like this low-battery warning
signal, some might complain.
2) Hi-frequency noise. While there is no any audible
noise, I do see the noise on a scope meter when I turn the
volume all way up. The noise is in the 150-500KHz, way
beyond audio frequency (20KHz). After a day of tests and
trys, I killed the noise, but I'll have to order some more
parts for this.
So, you might have to wait to the next week.
Thanks,
Xin

Sep 12, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Shame on you!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
Toilet it!!!

My Boostaroo is permanently sitting in a drawer (can't bring myself to toss something I paid $30 for). Tried to get rid of it on Ebay when I sold my Grado SR-60 (offered it for an extra $10 to the winning bidder) but s/he wasn't interested.

I did get one person asking if I'd sell it separately, but to be honest it's not worth the trip to the post office. In the drawer it stays, maybe they'll be collectable some day or something.
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by N@Z
You guys willing to pay $120 for it?

Why not? If it sounds as good as or better than a Super Mini it will be worth it. The Super Mini sounds better than an Airhead, which people are willing to spend $150 on.

Sep 13, 2003 at 12:00 AM Post #27 of 64
Ok, I am shocked. I was just thinking along the same lines and this amp. I mean its perfect for commuters, if it has a clip on the back of it that you can hook up to your belt; you have the perfect portable amp. I was going to hold up on the super mini because the size was too big when bundled with my Nomad 3, but now I do not have to worry about having too much in my pockets.

On a side note, is it a wise idea to get an amp for the Shure E5’s? I have found that it can easily be driven by my nomad, but the question is- does the fix-up amp have better sound quality then the internal amp?

Sep 13, 2003 at 6:28 AM Post #28 of 64
Kings,

The Super Mini amp that I auditioned a year ago was slightly superior to Headroom Total, and that was a version 3. Now, we have the V6, the internal amp of your Nomad should stand no chance w/ the super mini.

Purk

Sep 14, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #29 of 64
ack!!! i just bought a supermini v6.2c to use with my dr7 and thought that was small. now this super-small inline amp comes along?!?!? any chance of a trade-in
biggrin.gif
please
biggrin.gif
pretty please
biggrin.gif
it'd be just perfect!!!

Sep 14, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #30 of 64
Damn. Xin is a hard working guy. I'm impressed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back