Omg, MTV is killing music.
Aug 22, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PBS did a great documentary on MTV.

Basically MTV is all one big advertisement. And they hire these people who go out and find the "cool" kids so MTV can figure out what the next big music will be for the week- eventually whoring it to death until the cool kids move on to something else (and MTV aims to find what that is as well so they can pimp it).

Found it:
frontline: the merchants of cool | PBS (3rd video)
Merchants of Cool. You can watch the entire thing on there. Although keep in mind it was made a few years ago when wrestling was cool, but a great watch.

I just watched it. Wasn't all that surprising but still interesting. It's too bad near the end they had to show those idiotic clowns (rock-rap) as a sub-culture. It fit the format for the rest of the story but crap like that appears for the sake of going against the mainstream only to end-up selling out. Nothing else. The music has very little to do with it and I hope that died out already. Makes me sick.

Aug 22, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #17 of 38
MTV was quite nice back in the -80's. But turned rubbish during the -90's, when they became more commercial. Now its just commercials, with some random R&B / Rap movies in between.

Aug 22, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #18 of 38
They're doing it wrong.
frown.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 38
I liked The State and Liquid Television. And it made "weird" Al Yankovic famous.

Has Mtv done anything important in the last 15 years? Probably not, but if you're an insomniac who wants to know where to buy ringtones at 3am I guess its the channel for you.

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #21 of 38
does mtv even have any music related programming these days? all i ever see are occasional jackass reruns or some crapfest of a reality show

even vh-1 doesn't even do music anymore it's all washed up celebrities, fake celebrities, and then you have almost celebrities talking about things from the [decade here]...

Aug 23, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 38
MTV is basically a children's channel for 10 year old kids or some slow teenagers. I loved MTV when I was in 5th grade. If you are over 20 years old and still watching MTV, you may have to seek some guidance.

In fact, most of American TV is for slow people who are eating too much food and sitting around farting on the couch.

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #23 of 38
In other news, the Sun will rise tomorrow.

I got cable about three months after MTV first went on the air back in the 80's. They were cool for a while, but it all went downhill pretty quickly. Now it's a bunch of lame shows and worse music (if they bother to play any at all.)

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

even vh-1 doesn't even do music anymore it's all washed up celebrities, fake celebrities, and then you have almost celebrities talking about things from the [decade here]...

that's because it's owned by Viacom as well. CMT too...

Aug 23, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #26 of 38
Of course MTV is killing music. Where have you been?
tongue.gif

The only thing that shocks me about this is that you turned to MTV and they were actually playing music. I haven't known them to do that for years.

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course MTV is killing music. Where have you been?
tongue.gif

The only thing that shocks me about this is that you turned to MTV and they were actually playing music. I haven't known them to do that for years.

X2

I blame MTV, the radio, and itunes collectivelly.

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #28 of 38
Am I the only one who never got into music videos? I was still a teenager when MTV was launched, and I disliked music videos even then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked The State and Liquid Television. And it made "weird" Al Yankovic famous.

Liquid TV was the one and only thing I ever liked on MTV... and I never would have known about it unless I had seen it at a friend's house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all i ever see are occasional jackass reruns or some crapfest of a reality show

Heh... I can remember when MTV set up their "Real World" show in Chicago. Many businesses in the Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhood put up "Real World not welcome" signs when that was going on.

Reality TV... isn't.

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #29 of 38
I'm sure I'm going to get crap for this, but the people I have told before completely agree with me. I hate MTV, I have hated it ever since it became BET the second. I don't like rap, hip hop, r & b, etc. I don't venture much out of the rock genres (which does include some blues).

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #30 of 38
I watched MTV/VH1 up until late 1990's.........now it is all commercials and junk as said before, wasted TV airtime.
But there were useful shows like "120 minutes" and "headbangers ball" to discover new stuff back in 1990s.

What finally killed the music channels was widespread availability of internet to discover new music/media and not just be spoon feed mainstream junk, reality shows etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back