Omega II MK2 amplification?
May 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #61 of 70
While someone "tube-savvy" is typing up their own reply, the "non-tube-savvy" me did a Google search, albeit a very brief one:

Tubes Asylum - Maybe. - Poindexter - January 12, 2008 at 08:29:10

Methinks more current and heat? Some people also claimed the 12BZ7 to be more microphonic.

EDIT: the first link for "12BZ7" is indeed like reading a foreign language (I can read Chinese
wink.gif
)

May 12, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #63 of 70
Since the 717 isn't available anymore new I wonder what the replacement 727 brings to the table. No one seems to talk about it here though. I also would like the last word on the Woo GES compared to the Stax offerings.

May 12, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #64 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i think Elphas is on the right track about source-first with the O2. The 717 unit does the job well enough and is transparent enough that a highly refined source cascades through clearly.

Yes, source first is a good idea. But when the source is good, amplification also matters a lot.
tongue.gif

The O2Mk1 and O2Mk2 sound better to me matched with the Aristaeus than the SRM-T1W or KGSS. With some headphones, such as the Airbow SR-SC1, the KGSS and SRM-T1W can be more competitive. But in general the Aristaeus is more refined.

May 26, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #65 of 70
This thread has been quiet for a couple of weeks but if haven't made your decision...I am in the same boat with you...pretty much set on the Stax but looking for amp choices. The Woo GES sounded good for the price but not alot of information on the sound but I found this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/woo...amp-o2-203423/

Some good feedback. I am only half way through it so it might change but it is worth the read if you haven't pulled the trigger yet. I am sure that there are other threads out there as well...this one ended in mid 2007...so a bit dated but not too bad. Good hunting! (Post once you get your new set up!!)

May 26, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #66 of 70
i have listened to the O2 with a KGSS (my current setup), KGBH, GES, various McAlister amps, and several stax. the stax amps definitely don't do the O2 justice. the others amps all seemed to be a pretty good match. hard to say which is preferred as none of my listening sessions were side by side. i suspect tubes is the way to go though. i've heard the ES1 as well but only with the HE90.

May 26, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #67 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the Illusion ESC-1001 is only available in Japan. .. It also came with a solar power unit.

:kitty:

seriously? I cannot believe no one has commented on this...

May 26, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #68 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but I understand there is an underground movement to make a simpler version... still waiting on Linear Devices? C'mon, you can't hide _that_ BH++ design forever... :)

heh, depends on how many design iterations I can go through... the more the merrier at this point, as things just keep getting better. I've stuffed larger heatsinks my KGSS psu and am ready for some psu board prototypes to get going (hint hint, nudge nudge, you know who you are). Since my KGSS has more power than the stock KGSS (comparable to the BH, minus the tube heater dissipation), it's been helpful in dialing in the psu... however, this is peanuts compared to what the new BH will require from the psu, so the real challenge hasn't started yet.

Then there is the time spent dodging all the noob PMs about building BHs...

May 26, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #69 of 70
Sorry about the collateral damage wrt extraneous PM... I am scared to even ask what design goals you guys are chasing. Of course, if my BH was back from the dead I'd have less interest in NexGen.

Patience is it's own punishment... or, was that virtue? Or both?

It is a pity more people can't hear your KGSS - it is rather spectacular with the OII.

May 27, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #70 of 70
I now have a SRD-7 Pro and am getting a Nuforce Icon. Does anyone have this combination while using the Omega?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back