Omega II MK2 amplification?
May 8, 2008 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this has been asked several times before, but i'm going to be biting the bullet within the next week on a new black Omega 2 MK2 and would like oppinions about the amplification options.

The thing that i love about the O2's is their tonal richness which does not sacrifice any detail, frequency extension, imaging or impact. To my tastes, these make them the 'ultimate', and the best headphones i've heard so far. However, all my listening has been done with the 007t tube driver unit, so i dont know how much this was contributing to the lovely liquid musicality of these headphones.

As much as a Blue Hawaii would be lovely, its out of my budget unfortunately, as is the ES-1. I'm looking at KGSS, Woo GES, 007t and 717 amps to pair with the O2's. From impressions i've read, the KGSS provides a good increase in dynamics and clarity over the 007t - all good things, since the 007t does sound like its bottlenecking the O2's dynamic potential somewhat - but my main concern is to not sacrifice that tonal richness the O2's possess.

The Woo GES i've read uses fairly cheap stock tubes and its full potential is unleashed by replacing them. Just how good is the unit stock? Does it provide equivalent dynamics to the likes of the KGSS?

And lastly the Stax amps, 007t and 717. I've not heard a 717 yet (though i may get an oppertunity to soon), but of the two i'm inclined towards the 007t, despite the noticable slight lack of dynamics and attack.

Any reccomendations would be much appreciated, taking my sonic preferences into consideration.

May 9, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 70
Go for the 717 over the 007t. Cheaper and with bigger voltage swing, which while not the be all and end all requirement for driving the O2, is very important. The KGSS is a better option than either though, if you have the opportunity for one.

Another, cheaper option. Is to run them from a power amplifier through a transformer.

May 9, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe there are anymore build spots left for the upcoming HeadAmp KGBH SE.

The BH is beyond my budget anyway, so i dont see how this is relevant
confused.gif

May 9, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 70
I was merely assuming someone (eg dan_can) might be interested in purchasing it. Irrelevant to the OP? Sure. Sorry for diluting your thread with useless info
tongue.gif

May 9, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was merely assuming someone (eg dan_can) might be interested in purchasing it. Irrelevant to the OP? Sure. Sorry for diluting your thread with useless info
tongue.gif

Sorry, didnt mean to be rude. I had thought you were replying to me rather than dan_can, my bad
smily_headphones1.gif

So the KGSS has a good reputation with these cans (and i'd expect no less from a kevin gilmore design), but has anyone compared them directly to the Woo GES?

May 9, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another, cheaper option. Is to run them from a power amplifier through a transformer.

I dare anyone to do this. It would take balls around here. I'm tempted to get an O2 and do this just to drive the mafia up the wall. But really, why not do it? Why aren't there high-price aftermarket energizers that can outperform all the original Stax ones? It's the only easy way I can think of to put over $10k in amping behind an 02. Personally, I'd like to hear what they sound like off a T-amp.

May 9, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dare anyone to do this. It would take balls around here. I'm tempted to get an O2 and do this just to drive the mafia up the wall. But really, why not do it? Why aren't there high-price aftermarket energizers that can outperform all the original Stax ones? It's the only easy way I can think of to put over $10k in amping behind an 02. Personally, I'd like to hear what they sound like off a T-amp.

Oh you could invest over $10k in a dedicated stat amp easily, KG might have mentioned depositing such a sum in his bank account for a killer DHT amp
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

May 9, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #14 of 70
Quote:

I dare anyone to do this. It would take balls around here. I'm tempted to get an O2 and do this just to drive the mafia up the wall. But really, why not do it?

I'm doing just that. Dared VP-20 into SRD-7 Pro into O2 Mk2. I haven't had a chance to compare it against the SRM-313 and McAlister, but I like the sound so far. Definitely impactful and definitely dynamic. Also not quite as bassy as I expected, though still on the warm side.

I'm seriously thinking of ways to come up with the cash for a Blue Hawaii, either building it myself or commissioning someone to do it. I guess it's time to sell off everything else in the stash.

The O2 does things to your head...
eek.gif

May 9, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 70
Quote:

I have been driving mine this way from day one.(over a year)
As for my O2 setup I run them from an SRD-7 pro .(lightly modded)

This is being fed from a Tim Rawson built Aleph 3 clone. The preamp/linestage is a possibly one off MELOS that is in an SHA-1 case with an external PSU that connects via an umbilical. It has a load of voltage/gain...something that is important when using the Aleph amps.

Catscratch-try running them off the 313. It will give you a good laugh. (or a grimace)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back