Omega II initial impressions vs L3000 and stax sr-404
Feb 1, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Wow you have a great collection of gear in a short period of time. I see you've been doing a lot of reading and listening more than posting
biggrin.gif

I think it's time to get a new source and things like powercords if you don't have them already.

Your right about that one. I do spend most time reading and listening. I feel like since the Benchmark dac 1 is very fast it mates well with the omega's in that they tend to have a dark and some what slow signature to them allowing them to shine more. An Eastsound is more smooth but i feel that dac1 brings a little more life to them.

What source would you reccomend?

My next purchases will be power conditioning, ic's/xlr's and powercords. Im not to sure about changing the source though.

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Tall bongs are overrated
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dude...with a girlfriend like that...how the heck can you spend time with meaningless audio gear?
confused.gif

Say hi to her from the previous owner of the Omega-IIs...I am glad you both like the headphone. Parting with it made me pretty miserable for a couple of weeks...
frown.gif

shey says Hi, and she is thankfull you sold me the omega's. Trust me, I spend ALOT of time with her. And when we are just kicking back in my room we will both get a piece of audio bliss. To be honest she only listens every now and then. I am usually always in my own zone when im listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Julian, where do you go to school? It would've been cool if I had a roommate with such sick headphone gear. But instead my roommate just had the tallest bong in existence.
tongue.gif

she is reading this with me as I speak so you guys know. *she laughs* We both go to school at the University of Santa Barbara College.

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #18 of 51
I have to go hungry when I buy new headphone stuff. Fellow college-fi'er. Doesn't stop me from doing it. I've also got quite a bit of my cash invested in my stereo listening setup, which leaves less room for frivolties with headphones. You're definitely far richer than I, though - how do you afford them? Is it a job and saving up for months, or a lucky birth? Either way, you win the game and you've got some kickass cans. Enjoy them.

I find it hilarious that despite your massive headphone rig, you're using Klipsch Promedia computer speakers.
580smile.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26
she is reading this with me as I speak so you guys know. *she laughs*

WHAAA?? *runs from the light like a cockroach* Man, whaddya doing? That's a "Schweet Maunshter" moment! The uninitiated can't see our true geekiness unveiled!
eek.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #20 of 51
hahah, i know i feel geeky when shes talking on the phone and is like, "ya hes taking pictures of his headphones to show his headphone buddies" or when i have 3 headphones around my head and neck for compariing she just looks like me as if im some sort of boof.

As for being able to afford all this gear i use to work at my dads company that does credit card processing which is pretty successful. I basically blow all my money on headphone gear and surfing. My surfboards and girl friend are the only things i can think of that i charish more.

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #21 of 51
Yep, I for one don't doubt your ability to get the cash for those cans - when all your income is disposable income, it all goes into Taco Bell and your cans, am I right? When I had magic laundry and magic rent and magic everything else but was working my way through grad school, I spent all my disposable income on guitars - I had a Taylor 810, still have that Les Paul gathering dust, bought a few amps, etc - so no worries, we're just jealous, not unbelieving!
tongue.gif
Back then I definitely wasn't as discriminating as you either- why oh why did I ever get this?
bassman%20100%20abertoefechado.jpg

That thing's like five feet tall!

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
I find it hilarious that despite your massive headphone rig, you're using Klipsch Promedia computer speakers.
580smile.gif

I actually sold those speakers, so now i have nothing. I actually cant afford a nice speaker set up. Either way i prefer my headphones so i dont see why bother. I just now need some ok speakers for surround sound for the xbox 360

I also need to spend more money on a new face unit in my jeep so i can get my subs to work again. I do admit that i am self concious when spending money but thats how i end up saving it. I also get free meals, breakfast, lunch, and dinner hear at the dorms so that helps out too. As of right now i dont have a job but am looking for one.

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

What source would you reccomend?

I'm assuming you're using your computer as a transport? Maybe you can check out Lavry or Aqvox USB DAC's that are getting mentioned frequently of late on the Dedicated Sources forum. This isn't a recommendations, just some ideas, since I've never listened to the said DAC's myself.

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

I actually sold those speakers, so now i have nothing. I actually cant afford a nice speaker set up. Either way i prefer my headphones so i dont see why bother. I just now need some ok speakers for surround sound for the xbox 360

I also need to spend more money on a new face unit in my jeep so i can get my subs to work again. I do admit that i am self concious when spending money but thats how i end up saving it. I also get free meals, breakfast, lunch, and dinner hear at the dorms so that helps out too. As of right now i dont have a job but am looking for one.

Hey, I didn't mean to put you on the spot. It's a necessary part of a capitalist society that there are some individuals who can afford more than others, in order to grease the wheels and make people who can't work harder (and be more productive) in order to consume. It's not your fault, and not your problem as long as you aren't walking around with that stuff near homeless shelters talking about how warm the multi-thousand-dollar headphones keep your ears in the cold winter months. You seem like a nice guy, don't be guilty at your success. You were born into a good place to be, and someone's hard work got you there, so enjoy and make use of the fruits of labor. That's the system, after all.

Be good to the world and people around you, keep compassion in your head at all times, and your success will never be a burden to others. Help those that need help when you can, and you'll sleep just fine at the end of the day knowing you did the right thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #27 of 51
Dang, when I was in college I had NO clue about audio quality gear, at least I did have a cute gal, but it was NOT in California (I miss it so, but that was later on in life), but did have many bongs though and still enjoyed my music mucho (just not in "high fidelity").

At least now, I have and love my L3000s and can share in your joy for that one small piece of equipment in your great collection.

But, to even conceive that my wife would partake in the spoils of this hobby even a teeny tiny bit, let alone having to deal with her scorn of my spending gobs of money better spent on things like renovations, vacations, educations (kids), and such, it's just, just, just INconceivable! (think Wallace Shawn from "The Princess Bride"). I am not worthy...Enjoy your college life...These are the best years (hence grad school! -- those were the days, too, and the degrees were a great bonus.). Kudos, man.

- walk

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #28 of 51
Julian,

When I was in college, I had the same musical taste: everything but country. Then someone introduced me to Lyle Lovett....

A good starting point is Joshua Judges Ruth (JJR), or I Love Everybody. Another plus about his music is they are excellent recordings; your rig will be able to capture a lot of things going on, especially with JJR.

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #29 of 51
Your girlfriend's name is Jillian and you are Julian?! I'm sure you've heard this a bazillion times, but how perfect is that? That's insanity.

I'm sure you worked that in when you were first trying to ask her out, right? Like -

Hey, I'm Julian and you're Jillian.

"u" and "i" should be together.

Booyah! I am so good with the ladies.
cool.gif
People should be paying me for advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back