Omega II initial impressions vs L3000 and stax sr-404
Feb 2, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #33 of 51
Damn Julian, you're one lucky guy, and I'm not talking about the headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

However, have you ever heard the SR-404 with tubes? The KGSS is a very linear amp in terms of tonal balance, while the DAC1 is a bit bright and forward, and I don't think that you're getting very good synergy with your SR-404. However, you are probably getting the best synergy for the Omega 2 that reasonable amounts of money can buy. With tubes, the SR-404's relative harshness in the top end, together with it's relative thinness in the midbass is very much reduced if not eliminated. With the right equipment, it's ability to perform on par with much more expensive headphones is very impressive.

Thanks also for the SR-404/O2 comparison, that was very useful, since I'm currently debating as to whether or not to move on to the O2. What is holding me back right now is that I will have to change my entire system, and not just the O2, in order to preserve synergy, and that will be very expensive...

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Thanks also for the SR-404/O2 comparison, that was very useful, since I'm currently debating as to whether or not to move on to the O2. What is holding me back right now is that I will have to change my entire system, and not just the O2, in order to preserve synergy, and that will be very expensive...

As I've already said to someone else in the forum, come to the Dark Side.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #35 of 51
Just curious: do you worry about security, with all your expensive rigs in your college dorm?

Your 404/O2 comparision is most welcome. I only had the briefest encounter with the O2/007t system (less than 15 minutes). The dealer said I wouldn't want to go back to the 404 again, but what I heard did not convince me to bleed my checkbook.

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Hey, I'm Julian and you're Jillian.

"u" and "i" should be together.

Booyah! I am so good with the ladies.
cool.gif
People should be paying me for advice.

Baha, damn that cracked me up. The Socal peeps always crack me up around here.

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #37 of 51
I have never heard the 404's with tubes so you are right about synergy. With the dac and the kgss that combo is meant to be with the omegas, but as for the sr-404's it makes them to dry sounding. The speed on the other hand is Excellent. almost too good.

As for security i do get worried. I do have a lock on my room which i use every second i leave. (so dont try it) hah.. well considering i have more than 7 grand of headphone gear, and about 3.5 grand on computer and tv stuff and it is very possible i can get robbed. When i go out of town or go back home I always bring my headphones and sometimes my amps. I do that so i know they are in safe hands and to listen to of course. But to be honest, i dont reveal how much my gear is to my friends because i know that can lead into trouble. I dont belive one person here in santa barbara knows what all my gear is or that it is even expensive.

I dont think it crosses anyones mind that those headphones are 2,200 so i should steal them you know what i mean? If anything they would just steel my flat screen and xbox 360 and maybie my computer. they would leave the good stuff for me
smily_headphones1.gif

**I just got back from school and i found out the power went out at this dorm because my clock is bliking on 1200 and my computer WONT TURN ON!
confused.gif
I already know what happend so thats good. the power surge blew a fuse in the powesupply which is easy to fix. but still kinda pissed about it.

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26
I have never heard the 404's with tubes so you are right about synergy. With the dac and the kgss that combo is meant to be with the omegas, but as for the sr-404's it makes them to dry sounding. The speed on the other hand is Excellent. almost too good.

Good take on the O2 and other headphones BTW.

I have to agree that the idea of 404s being better with tubes. Same thing with the older Lambdas. The Lambda Signatures I have go very well with the Stax T2 tubed amp. The basic Stax tubed amps are basically tuned to provide a softer top end and a fuller middle to compensate for the the tonality of the 404/Lambdas. The type of tonality it provides does not work for O2s.

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC1
Baha, damn that cracked me up. The Socal peeps always crack me up around here.

I aims to please.

Thanks to you, I actually know what the KGSS to Stax Omega II sounds like so I don't feel totally out of place in this thread. Your KGSS was a little different than Julian's though, it had all these boners sticking out the top.
tongue.gif

O2-KGSS.JPG

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #40 of 51
ya those are blackgates. Justin asked me if i wanted to upgrade to those so i asked for his personal oponion, and he told me he does'nt think it is worth it. So i declined and will always wonder what the diffrence it makes.

Does anybody know what difference there is with the black gates in terms of sound?

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I aims to please.

Thanks to you, I actually know what the KGSS to Stax Omega II sounds like so I don't feel totally out of place in this thread. Your KGSS was a little different than Julian's though, it had all these boners sticking out the top.
tongue.gif

Glad I can help you out here.
biggrin.gif
Never thought of the Blackgates in that way, but ok, one way of looking at it.

From upgrading to blackgates in my last headphone amp, I can say that they generally help give a more fluid presentation where it comes closer to the smoothness of tubes. Obviously where they are implemented affects how much or little they do.
I do not know what extent they contribute in the KGSS since I never had a regular one, probably only a little. It is not the most cost effective for sure, but what it does is what I am trying to get closer to and there really was no other alternatives.

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

ya those are blackgates. Justin asked me if i wanted to upgrade to those so i asked for his personal oponion, and he told me he does'nt think it is worth it. So i declined and will always wonder what the diffrence it makes.

Does anybody know what difference there is with the black gates in terms of sound?

Thanks for your impressions.

Is the stock build of the KGSS optimized for the OII? I see it's a very popular combination.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #43 of 51
i would say so. Even the benchmark dac 1 compliments them very well, i would say more so than a dedicated cdp just because its faster with excellent, and i mean excellent detail which only makes the o2's sweeter.

Feb 5, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

You may want to ask dannyandelyse as he has/had both stock KGSS and KGSS w/ Black Gates in his possession.

Feb 6, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
You may want to ask dannyandelyse as he has/had both stock KGSS and KGSS w/ Black Gates in his possession.

Enjoy your standard KGSS, a great combo with Omegas. The big blackgated KGSS is just a bit more propulsive and vice locked on the 20-200 HZ range. Also agree with headfier who said overall sound flowed with a bit more ease. Maybe a touch tube like. Really like both and difference is not going to be a make or break. The big blackgated KGSS not only sounds great with the Omegas, it just loves the Lamda Pros and even does the Big OOO
a good juicing. Stay with your KGSS, and upgrade other areas or buy more music.
Dan
600smile.gif
lambda.gif
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back