Omaha, NE (Midwest) Oct. 3rd Custom Electronics Wrap-Up and Impressions
Dec 18, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #31 of 54
Here's the phono that I've been lusting after:

Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-760LC Details and Hookup

It sounds like a good budget phono for the money. I have a cheapie LKG phono from amazon that does the job, but I'm sure I'm missing out on some stuff.

I'm sure someone will sell their head-five at some point in time. Or, I'll buy that introductory desktop from Meier. One or the other.

-Nylan

Dec 25, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by slytown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm testing the Cambridge 540P right now. I'll let you know my impressions.

I'd be really interested in this... I'll shoot you a PM, too.

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisishieu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't realize there were fellow Nebraskans on head-fi! How are you guys enjoying the snow? Lincoln was hit pretty hard ;p

THe person operating the snow plow put almost 3 feet of snow around my girlfriend's car. I shoveled it out last night and I'm sore.

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #35 of 54
I love the Cambridge preamp I thought it might sound a little thin, but it's real nice. If you want to spend a little more Nylan, I say go for it. You too Ling. I would like to hear an elliptical stylus with it, but I don't think my set-up justifies it.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisishieu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't realize there were fellow Nebraskans on head-fi! How are you guys enjoying the snow? Lincoln was hit pretty hard ;p

The only one in our family that ENJOYS the snow, the dog...

Happy New Year > > > How about those HUSKERS the other night, best complete game they played in years.

Wish CE would come back to Lincoln.

LQQK

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

I love the Cambridge preamp I thought it might sound a little thin, but it's real nice. If you want to spend a little more Nylan, I say go for it. You too Ling. I would like to hear an elliptical stylus with it, but I don't think my set-up justifies it.

Not sure what you mean by this statement: do you mean that the cambridge phono is cheaper than the TC-750LC and I should take a look at it or that I should invest in a better phono preamp? A quick search of the cambridge amp found that it runs about 90 USD, so I'm a bit confused.

I'm thinking that it would probably be worth the investment...hard to say without getting to swap preamps.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #38 of 54
I did a bunch of research on the TC-750 (I didn't look at the LC since my amp has a volume control) and the general consensus is that it's pretty good for low-fi speaker setups and ripping to a computer, but not for a dedicated headphone listening setup. I'm strongly considering picking up the 540 or 640 myself (probably the 540 so that I have more money for those damned expensive LPs)

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a bunch of research on the TC-750 (I didn't look at the LC since my amp has a volume control) and the general consensus is that it's pretty good for low-fi speaker setups and ripping to a computer, but not for a dedicated headphone listening setup. I'm strongly considering picking up the 540 or 640 myself (probably the 540 so that I have more money for those damned expensive LPs)

Fair enough. I remember looking for an inexpensive phono amp when I first started looking on building my rig and the TC-760LC seemed to be the model that was recommended over and over again in it's price range. However, this was a while back and perhaps the consensus has changed (as I'm sure it does). Perhaps I, too, shall take a peak at this 540 for my rig (upgradeitis isn't always so bad).

Just listened to my 180g copy of Dark Side of the Moon last night. With the lights off. In my recliner. Quite the experience, let me tell you.

-Nylan

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #40 of 54
I thought I paid $100 for mine. Whatever.

I remember I listened to your copy of Off the Wall at the meet. My mom actually had the album and I listened to the rest of it for the first time. Amazing album. I also heard some samples from some of my favorite house producers in there.

I ended up raiding my mom and dad's stacks and went from having 20 albums to about 120. Ling, check out discogs.com. Great site for vinyl. I can get a lot of good stuff for under $10. Have you been to that vinyl shop downtown yet?

I remember you were thinking about the Compass Nylan. Are you gonna try and buy the new Fun that Kingwa developed to replace the Compass?

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

I remember I listened to your copy of Off the Wall at the meet. My mom actually had the album and I listened to the rest of it for the first time. Amazing album. I also heard some samples from some of my favorite house producers in there.

I ended up raiding my mom and dad's stacks and went from having 20 albums to about 120. Ling, check out discogs.com. Great site for vinyl. I can get a lot of good stuff for under $10. Have you been to that vinyl shop downtown yet?

I remember you were thinking about the Compass Nylan. Are you gonna try and buy the new Fun that Kingwa developed to replace the Compass?

I was considering the compass myself but opted for an LD I+, but I still want a compass. If kingwa does one of those super cheap pre orders I'll be all over whatever he puts out next.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Nope, the compass is already on it's way. I must have gotten one of the last of the compasses from kingwa. It should be at my house any day now.

-Nylan

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, the compass is already on it's way. I must have gotten one of the last of the compasses from kingwa. It should be at my house any day now.

-Nylan

I'd like to have some more time with the compass. Any chance I can talk you into bringing it over sometime? I know it's fracking huge but... it'd be awesome. Plus you could sample my I+... not sure how much of a change it'd be for you but...

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to have some more time with the compass. Any chance I can talk you into bringing it over sometime? I know it's fracking huge but... it'd be awesome. Plus you could sample my I+... not sure how much of a change it'd be for you but...

Perhaps this thursday. I have the day off and my compass is waiting at the post office for me in the morning (wife had an engagement and couldn't pick it up in time).

-Nylan

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps this thursday. I have the day off and my compass is waiting at the post office for me in the morning (wife had an engagement and couldn't pick it up in time).

-Nylan

****, Thursday won't work. I believe my girlfriend is actually off that day, and with her schedule, gotta take it when it's available... so me and her will probably be going out to dinner on one of our Christmas gift cards.

If we can organize another day, I'd be all for it, but I need to make sure it coincides with the schedule of my wonderful girlfriend as well. I started looking at Audio-GD gear again, and while Pacific Valve has it at the best price I've ever seen it at, I can't pull the trigger yet. I assume you got it at the PV price of 299.99 Nylan? If not, I'm sorry.
frown.gif

Pacific Valve & Electric Company Pacific Audio gd Compass DAC

Oh well, as of right now, I'm waiting for my paycheck to come in. I'm going to be swapping a lot of parts in. I've so far come to a few conclusions...

On the I+, I prefer low gain, it gives me a wider sweep of the volume knob, and I experience less noise. It just sounds better if you ask me, at least in this respect. Also, with already hot running tubes, the Sylvania Gold Brand 408A, it's a good idea to run it lower, as it seems to run cooler that way as well.

Since I'm sort of figuring out the amp a bit, I think it's time to start upgrading it again... but tonight my project is to figure out which pads for my Grado SR325i's I like the very best. Oddly enough, of all the pads I thought I'd liked, broken in L cushions (bowls) seem to sound the best, but are the least comfortable. It's such a terrible trade off, and I hate grado for it.

I am almost 100% in between Mullard M8161 and Sylvania GB408A. The GB408A have apparently been through thier paces, with two head-fiers prior to me owning and loving them. I just can't decide though. Nylan, are we still gonna do a buy on some Big Shields? It seems like we're going to have to order a bulk set of 'em, maybe 4 each. Looks like you acn only get 'em over the pond.

I'm really glad we had the head-fi meetup here in Omaha, while I didn't end up buying my clear winner (the compass), I ended up buying something I still really enjoy and has quite the tweaking path.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back