Omaha, NE (Midwest) Oct. 3rd Custom Electronics Wrap-Up and Impressions
Oct 5, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by matajuro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sly I understood it was the ESW9s but these zino are just ugh nvm...

I've lowered my price the Zinos I'll take the best offer. I may even pay for shipping. Its like listening through a tin can...

Man, you really didn't like those Zinos. Harsh man, harsh. :|

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #17 of 54
I feel bad about it I should have thrown them back into the raffle. I really only heard part of one song with them while at the meet. I'm currently going through all my music trying hard to find a genre that sounds good on them. Perhaps they require a lot of burn in..

See, I happen to own a nice pair of HD280s while a lot of people hate them. My self I'm starting to feel like they do toward the Zinos. Good build quality I feel like they could take a lot of abuse with my constantly yanking on cords as I reach to grab some thing etc. But the sound I don't know what the engineers were thinking but sheesh. They oughta recalibrate their testing equipment.

I'll trade some one a ipod line out cable for them. Any takers?

Every one at the meet listened to them right? What did y'all like about them? Any one? Any one..? The highest praise gets a free pair.

Never Mind there is a Head-Fi in New York that wants them I shall be shipping them to him. They will stay in the family.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #18 of 54
matajuro;6061852 said:
I feel bad about it I should have thrown them back into the raffle. I really only heard part of one song with them while at the meet. I'm currently going through all my music trying hard to find a genre that sounds good on them. Perhaps they require a lot of burn in..

See, I happen to own a nice pair of HD280s while a lot of people hate them. My self I'm starting to feel like they do toward the Zinos. Good build quality I feel like they could take a lot of abuse with my constantly yanking on cords as I reach to grab some thing etc. But the sound I don't know what the engineers were thinking but sheesh. They oughta recalibrate their testing equipment.

Every one at the meet listened to them right? What did y'all like about them?

I just shipped them off to a head-fier in NY.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by matajuro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Every one at the meet listened to them right? What did y'all like about them?

I just shipped them off to a head-fier in NY.

I heard them real quick and didn't like it, that's about all I can say about it. I think there was a bit of a veil on it, the pads really muffled it up for me.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #20 of 54
I listened straight through my ipod a little. I really wasn't impressed either. I'd much rather have my Apple IEMs for portable.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Ummmm.... Hmmm...
Rather decent cable quality, thick and sturdy. That about sums up the good parts about it... Oh good separation.

The Bad. Where to start.

Hally. Reverb and not in the good way. (I like reverb but this implementation needs a redesign)
Tiny.
Crappy bass response. Make that no Bass at all.
Small Sound stage. You would think that would mean it doesn't have separation but I disagree.
Uncomfortable.
I hate closed cans, they hurt my ears. Unless I'm on a plane I don't use them.

So any buddy want them? Asking price new online is $99. I'll take $10 (Shipped them this afternoon sorry guys too late to buy).

me too
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #23 of 54
If only i had known about a meet sooner, i would have definitely showed up. =(

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry About Your Wallet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only i had known about a meet sooner, i would have definitely showed up. =(

Same here,,,I used to do allot of business with CE when they were in Lincoln (Home Theater).

LQQK

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #25 of 54
This is a little overdue, but I've been busy with school, so I haven't had time to write up my impressions.

First off, I want to thank both lingling and tenzip for organizing this and for getting us some sweet gear and swag for the raffle. It was neat to have the opportunity to listen to some other gear, even though I didn't actually get to listen to much of the other amps (the mosfet and the cute, I think). I also want to thank Custom Electronics for allowing us to use their meeting room and bringing in all the great gear (especially the PS1000).

Headphone impressions:

Audio Technica A900: Since I've heard the limited edition version of this, it wasn't a total mind blowing experience, but it was interesting to compare this to the RX700, which looks very similar to the A900. Clearly the A900 is the superior headphone as it has a drier but more precise midrange, deeper base, and better treble extension. Overall, it's a colder headphone in comparison to the RX700, which has a mid-bass coloration that adds some warmth to the sound. I would prefer to own the A900, but I'm not willing to part with the cash at this point. For what I use my RX700 (gaming), I just can't shell out the $200 for an A900.

AKG K601: Reminds me of the K501 but with a little more bass extension. I fell in love the K501, and this seems like a good step-up from there. I think what always impresses me is the midrange on AKG headphones. It's always so lush and engaging without being aggressive. If I ever needed another open headphone, I'll look into either a pair of these or a K701.

AKG K701: I got to a comparison of these against my DT 880's and I'll say that there are some similarities between the two. I think they are both somewhat cold-sounding and very precise. The K701 has more forward midrange, but has weak bass impact while the DT 880 is the opposite. They are similar enough in sound signature that I'll stick with the 880's. I've come to love a little more bass in my sound.

AKG K240 Sextetts: I didn't really get to listen to these because I only listened to them on my Little Dot MK II and it was not nearly enough power to drive the sextett. I was really surprised at how hard they are to drive. I guess I'll just have to wait until I get a more powerful amp to even think about picking one of those up.

Grado PS1000: Simply amazing. I've never been so impressed by a headphone from a single listen. It seemed to me that it was completely devoid of any kind of coloration, beyond a certain richness in sound. What I was listening to was the recording pure and simple. The only thing that it was lacking was a more open soundstage, but as we all know, Grado hasn't been known for a huge soundstage (I'm spoiled by the 880). This is one pair that I would love to own someday. I would say that with the right amplifier, they are worth every penny. I'd sell my 880's if I could even dream of picking up a pair.

Grado RS1: A very different sounding Grado. Kind of polite, in a way. Not harsh, but had a very earthy sound to it, very organic (trying not to make a woody joke). I enjoyed it a lot and was surprised by how light it was. Not at all what I was expecting. Another headphone that is a lot easier to obtain (next to the PS1000) and I could see this possibly in the future. Much better soundstage than the typical Grado as well.

Headphones I missed out and regret not listening: HF-2 and the GR8. I'll have to drop by custom electronics again and see if they'll let me demo the GR8.

Gear impressions:

Millet hybrid amp: Sounds very similar to my Little dot. While this makes me feel good, I'm pretty sure most people can build a Millet max for less than a little dot. MMMmmmm, warm tubey-goodness.

Audio-Gd Compass: I believe this had the “earth” op-amp (or whatever they're called) in the unit, so I found it a little on the cold/boring side with my DT 880s (which has always been my imnpression of solid-state amps and the 880). I imagine that with the “moon” op-amp, I would have that little extra warmth that I get to help with 880 sound a little more engaging. I was very impressed by this amp/dac and have decided to pick one up myself. I know, I said I was going to get a Zero; however, after reading up more on the compass, I think I'll actually pick one up. Thanks for bringing it, slytown.

Corda Headfive: Daddy wants. I have never been impressed by solid state on my 880s until I heard this amp. I have to get a Meier amp for my beyers. It was a marriage made in heaven. It reminded me of my little dot, but it had more detail. It was engaging without losing quality. I also loved the crossfeed feature. It helps so much with my jazz albums. It is in the future for me to get a Meier.

Decco amp/dac: I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this amp, but I thought it sounded pretty good other than the pervasive ground noise. It had a lot of hiss, and that may have been due to something else in the set-up that was creating the issue. It's hard to tell.

Pimeta: While I thank you Gross for letting me borrow this, I didn't find the Pimeta to have enough juice to drive my 880's very well. I didn't really spend enough time with it to get a thorough listen, but it just seemed to be lacking with my 880's. I didn't really ask what it can drive, so I probably wasn't listening to something that it could have benefited from the amp (like a Grado).

Gear I missed out and regretted not listening: RA-1 clone, TTVJ Mosfet amp, Fii0 E5, Beresford TC7520, and the Millet SS.

That's it guys. It was a great day and I hope that we do this again soon. By then, I hope to have some newer gear and better tubes for my LD.

-Nylan

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #26 of 54
I'm currently awaiting CE to get all my stuff in. I'm ordering through them some SR325i's, PS1000 pads (gonna make me some baby ps1000's), and a 1/4" adapter. Sure it'll be plugging into my new little dot amp, that I ordered, but it'll be nice to have when I'm using my cmoy on the go if I ever let them leave the house.
smily_headphones1.gif

All from CE (aside from the LD amp). As soon as they say "we got it here" I'm going to sprint over there and pick it up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #28 of 54
I'm selling my A900s guys. Check the FS thread.

Oh, and in March I'll be attending the Missouri Valley Historical Conference at Nebraska. Gonna be sweet. I just got a turntable so I'll be spending a couple of hours at that record shop downtown.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #29 of 54
I was really impressed with the HeadFive as well, Nylan. Now that I have a pair of HF-1 I'm almost considering buying the HeadFive, if I don't go electrostatic.

Aynjell, that's cool that you went through CE to get your kit. I never thought of doing that, but if I never need Grado OEM stuff I'll go through them.

By the way, recently went into CE to get a new cart (Grado Black) for my turntable. I asked right before I got my cash out, almost as an afterthought, if the employee helping me would show me how to properly set it up. He said that they would set it up for free! I actually had brought my TT in case they would show me how to set it up, and I dropped it off for about 1/2 hr. When I came back, Larry was fine-tuning the setup. It sounded GREAT through the B&W speakers they had set up. In fact, it was good enough to make me forget about upgrading to a new TT. By the way, I didn't pay until the setup was done and I had heard the turntable. I'm now discovering my dad's (big) and my (very, very small) collection of vinyl! Hmm, now all I need is a phono preamp and a headphone amp. The $60 cart that caused the $500 avalanche, it would seem. Anyway, a very enjoyable experience once again at CE.

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was really impressed with the HeadFive as well, Nylan. Now that I have a pair of HF-1 I'm almost considering buying the HeadFive, if I don't go electrostatic.

Aynjell, that's cool that you went through CE to get your kit. I never thought of doing that, but if I never need Grado OEM stuff I'll go through them.

By the way, recently went into CE to get a new cart (Grado Black) for my turntable. I asked right before I got my cash out, almost as an afterthought, if the employee helping me would show me how to properly set it up. He said that they would set it up for free! I actually had brought my TT in case they would show me how to set it up, and I dropped it off for about 1/2 hr. When I came back, Larry was fine-tuning the setup. It sounded GREAT through the B&W speakers they had set up. In fact, it was good enough to make me forget about upgrading to a new TT. By the way, I didn't pay until the setup was done and I had heard the turntable. I'm now discovering my dad's (big) and my (very, very small) collection of vinyl! Hmm, now all I need is a phono preamp and a headphone amp. The $60 cart that caused the $500 avalanche, it would seem. Anyway, a very enjoyable experience once again at CE.

I'm testing the Cambridge 540P right now. I'll let you know my impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back