Omaha Head-Fi Meet, #2! (@ Custom Electronics :: Oct 9th!)
Oct 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #76 of 100
As a headphone/whisky enthusiast, I suppose it would be silly of me to miss this (regret missing the 1st one). mrscotchguy - you rock!!!

I'll bring all the headphones in my signature except for the DT770 Pros which I had to send back for exchange due to an intermittent connection in the right earcup.

I'll have a Sansa Fuze/Sony CDP->Meier StepDance digital setup and Technics turntable->SPL Auditor analog setup with a crate of electronic music & rock.

beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #77 of 100
@Nylan: Your call on the DSOTM then. I agree with you totally.

@nierika: Did I read T1's!? This is going to be a great meet!

Now I can only hope that guy with the Denon's can show up for something to compare my JVC's to....

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #78 of 100

Quote:
I do have a fresh 180g pressing that's been played all of twice...however...I'm VERY protective of that copy as it was a gift. I'd be willing to bring it as long as people are very careful. The other stuff is used and not in as good of condition.

I'd be more than willing to bring my preamp. I don't mind at all, so long as I don't have to lug my turntable.

You have my word that I won't hurt your recording. This is a head-fi meet, not a frat party. Last year everyone was very careful with gear, and I expect the same from everybody this year also.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, official start time is 10AM, concluding at 5PM. We will begin cleanup at 4:15 so that we're out of there at close. This gives us 6 hours to enjoy what we do (if you figure in teardown and setup). This has the added benefit of giving us 5-6 to take stuff home or go grab dinner. I myself will most likely eat at spirit world with my beer.

smily_headphones1.gif

Those of you not from the immediate area, Spirit World is two doors down from Custom Electronics in the same strip mall. If you wanna move from CE to SW, you can do so on foot since it's literally 2 doors down. (CE, pizza gourmet, then spirit world and approximately 40 feet apart)

Quote:
nierika said:

As a headphone/whisky enthusiast, I suppose it would be silly of me to miss this (regret missing the 1st one). mrscotchguy - you rock!!!

I'll bring all the headphones in my signature except for the DT770 Pros which I had to send back for exchange due to an intermittent connection in the right earcup.

I'll have a Sansa Fuze/Sony CDP->Meier StepDance digital setup and Technics turntable->SPL Auditor analog setup with a crate of electronic music & rock.

beerchug.gif

I am very happy we have even more people with great gear attending!

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #79 of 100

Quote:

beerchug.gif

No problem man, I love hosting them.  Aynjell can tell you how passionate I am about Whisk(e)y and he is working on getting getting me into audio gear (so far it's worked pretty well).  Just remember as a whisky (<-- no "e" means I take it you're a Scotch drinker like myself) connoisseur can be just as expensive a hobby.  Just keep in mind the nice 10% Spirit World discount
evil_smiley.gif
.  We have 130+ single malts in the store at the moment.  Problem for me is picking the next one to add to my collection on payday and I'm trying to decide on my first amp, eeek. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #80 of 100
I'll be there.  Whisky and headphones are 2 of my favorite things.

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #82 of 100
Wow, what luck--head-fi sends me an update of some sort the week before an event here in Omaha.  I could bring my fairly newbish Denon AH-2000/AirHead rig down, but mostly I'd be there to hear what a hard-core rig can do. 

For people who've been to such a thing before, what's the best time of day to come down?  Are there some etiquette rules with which I should be familiar?

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #83 of 100
Bring the AH-2000, the airhead and the bithead will both be there along with the vast majority of headroom's amp/dac selection, so there's not much reason to bring yours.
frown.gif

Quote:

For people who've been to such a thing before, what's the best time of day to come down?  Are there some etiquette rules with which I should be familiar?

Clean your ears. Wash your hair twice before coming. Take a shower. No cologne. But wear deoderant. We don't want to stink up or flower up anybody else's kit.

Those are the rules I follow anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Another good call is to make sure you ask people before using gear. For example, did you know before switching cans that you need to turn a tube amp off before disconnecting and only power it on once plugged back in? These are things you want to check about prior to using other people's gear so that we don't cause any damage.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #84 of 100
Got it, shower, no cologne, deoderize--can do! 

Seriously, tho, many thanks for the heads-up on things like the tube amp, I'd have had no idea.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't start mucking with someone's rig without explicitly asking first, but it's always good to be aware of the depths of hositude that one's ignorance can bring.  See you Saturday.

Oct 4, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #85 of 100

Quote:
Got it, shower, no cologne, deoderize--can do! 

Seriously, tho, many thanks for the heads-up on things like the tube amp, I'd have had no idea.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't start mucking with someone's rig without explicitly asking first, but it's always good to be aware of the depths of hositude that one's ignorance can bring.  See you Saturday.

Yep, most tube amps including mine must be powered off if no headphones are plugged in. Tube amps are not designed to run right without something plugged into them. I don't know of many other weird issues like this, but I'd still power off any amp you use and power it back on.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #86 of 100
Well, put me down.  I live in Omaha and would love to chat to fellow head-fiers.  I believe (in past post) that you feel you have enough equipment.  Please let me know with a response post etc.

Ken

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #87 of 100

Quote:
Well, put me down.  I live in Omaha and would love to chat to fellow head-fiers.  I believe (in past post) that you feel you have enough equipment.  Please let me know with a response post etc.

Ken

I'd love to have you bring your gear also. Bring everything you can. Knowing how last year's event went down we'll likely need it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Should I put you down for the stuff in your sig?

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #88 of 100
Got comply tips today. Awaiting headroom's delivery tomorrow. No idea on whiplash, something's telling me I'm not getting anything from them as communication has been really bad. I haven't had much luck with getting craig on the phone and email has been really difficult as their email system appears to be having trouble or this is what craig has told me.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #89 of 100
Finally heard back from craig. He's sending us a ipod LOD and an iqube amp for raffle, and an HD800 to demo. he's overnighting it tonite. Apparently he had a sickness that's had him laid out for the last week or so.

Worst possible case scenario, the gear won't be there for the actual meet proper but I will still raffle it off most likely by stopping at CE and having them draw a name. I'll make sure the winner gets his fair share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back