Olive ONE
Jul 15, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #31 of 35
Specs: http://www.myoliveone.com/Ones/tech_specs

Very interested in this as an interface. Will be using it with an external DAC.

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #32 of 35
Anyone interested in a 1TB Olive ONE in like new condition? I will be putting mine up in the FS section soon. PM me earlier if interested. Only selling to upgrade to an Auralic Aries at 3x the cost.

May 7, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #34 of 35
  So, any impressions on these?  They don't seem to have made much of an impact here...

*bump*

Not finding a lot of info on these. Has insane potential for a desktop source at work.

May 7, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #35 of 35
I have one..I have written a review on our local audio-video site..received mine June 2014..

My One arrived 2 weeks ago so here are some initial impressions.  The packaging is simple and neat, with ample protection for the beautiful device.  Did I say beautiful?  It's gorgeous actually, a really cool looking piece of equipment, which has very high WAF (for the family man).  But to others, it looks like a glorified digital clock  ;D
Booting up..

The other contents of the package consists of the custom 3.5mm-RCA analog/line-out cable, a wifi antenna (for extending range), and the power supply (auto volt).  It also contains a simple user guide on setting up the One .  You may want to check the guide online for more updates/information https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/200090595-User-Guide)

3.5mm - RCA

I only have a simple network at home and don't have servers or NAS, so my contents for the One will be purely local (internal HDD).  Installing the 2.5" (laptop HDDs) into the One is fairly easy.  Olive have already put up the instructions here((https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200768285-How-do-I-insert-my-own-hard-drive-)https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200768285-How-do-I-insert-my-own-hard-drive[/url]-.  Also, there is another way to share the content to the One, that is through bluetooth.  Also, forgot to mention, it already has internet radio,  however spotify, youtube and other music content sources/services support is not yet available but it is already on the works.

The One have an array of outputs to deliver your music.  It has a speaker out, analog out and a digital out.  You will need banana plugs if you want to connect the One to your speakers.  Olive has provided a custom 3.5mm to RCA cable if you want to utilize the line out and use your existing amplifier.  Also, you can opt to use the digital out if you want to use your external DAC.  The digital out is through a coaxial (RCA).  If you notice, the one also has a USB port, which is currently being developed to also stream digital data.  This is great if your external DAC only accepts USB input.

Rear ports

Here are the specifications of the DAC and amplifier inside the one taken from their site.
HD Digital-Analog-Converter
Based on Burr-Brown PCM5142:
32-bit/384kHz
Dynamic Range / SNR: 112 dB
THD+N: - 93 dB @ - 1 dBFS (Typical)
8X oversampling
Dual HD amplifiers and DSP
2x 32W/channel into 8 Ohm, high-efficiency (92%)
1 amp per channel provides perfect channel separation
DSP with Olive's patent-pending SMART technology

One thing that jumps on you when you start up the One, is probably the quality of the screen/display.  I think it is not on par with the quality look and feel of the One.  But I have no qualms, if it is not IPS or AMOLED and have a retina display.  I have joined the funding because I was looking for a music player where I can browse my music collection without using an external monitor/display/tv and which also looks good or looks like a piece of hifi equipment.  So the display of the One, is sufficient for that purpose.  A good UI is just a bonus for me, since I am used to playing by browsing into folders.

Track view

Album track view

You can browse by album with cover art thumbnails

Search artists, album, tracks

My initial experience was not overly positive, but the issues I encountered were mitigated with the help of the Olive support team.  Looking at the initial reviews from fellow One's owners, I think I just got it bad, as most of them shared their great experience with their unit.  Anyway, after completing the initial setup and tinkering the settings to suit my preferences and loading some music into the One, it's time for some listening sessions.
I only have a simple 2 channel audio setup due to some limited listening space in the apartment.  See my equipments below.
Speakers: Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniv Edn (6Ω/86db) in solid wood stands w/ spikes
DAC/Preamp: Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (24/192;Dual fully differential AD1955 DACs)
Amplifier: Emotiva A-100 Mini-X (50 watts @8Ω/80 watts @4Ω)

Update 1
I have been busy and forgot to update this thread.  Actually, I held off my review due to an issue with the Olive One's digital out because I was planning to do a comparison review on the One's different outputs.
Luckily, due to my persistence plus patience and with the support of Olive and of Emotiva, we got the digital out working.  Hat's off to Emotiva for lending a valuation unit of a DAC/Pre to Olive so they can resolve the issue.  Lot's of Olive One's owners are happy now because of this.

Because of the issue, I have been using the Olive One's line out and my DAC/Pre acted only as a pre-amp from the start.  So I am very familiar with the Olive One's DAC capability.
I will post my thoughts again on this matter because I was just so happy that the digital out is already working lol. 

Will post some more pics later.

Again kudos to Emotiva and Olive! 

Update 2
Initial review on Olive One
First my preference..
I am more of a detail freak and treble head (if there is such a term) and I prefer my bass that is dry,fast and punchy.  I mostly listen to all kinds of rock and love listening to vocals both male and female which is why most of the time I prefer acoustic and live recording versions..so now that is out of the way..

Me, I really didn't bother to use the speaker out of the Olive One since I use a separate amp for it to drive my bookshelf speakers and because I doubted the internal amps will drive the speakers that I have.  Well I tested it last night (due to request by kranoz) and was amazed how it sound, I didn't really expect it.  With my limited listening space, I am only at about 50-55% of the volume slider for my normal listening level which is already loud for my wife.  I can only imagine how more sensitive speakers will perform with the Olive One, full range speakers come to mind.  What a very simple set up that would be!

I am randomly playing familiar tracks on the Olive One (list below). 
Seven Mary Three - Lucky (Acoustic/Live)
Dave Matthews Band - Belly Belly Nice (Live)
                               Gaucho (Live)
                               Sweet (Live)
Alanis Morisette - Forgiven (Acoustic)
Fall Out Boy feat Eric Clapton - Save Rock N Roll
Damien Rice - Volcano
                    Blower's Daughter
Sarah Mclachlan - Angel (Acoustic/Live)
Metallica - Unforgiven (S&M)
Disturbed - Indestructible
Pearl Jam - Rearview mirror
Students of Aaron o Keefe - 42 (by Tool)

The details and micro details are present and the sound has good tonal balance with a slight emphasis on the mids.  The lower frequencies do not smear the mids and highs but is slightly less controlled and has a bit of bloom to my ears (compared when using the mini-x + dc-1) but it has also to do with the room acoustics.  This is ofcourse YMMV!  It is really hard to find fault on its sound reproduction and will basically come down to taste and synergy with the speaker pairing .  It is really a great all in One solution for your music needs. :D

I will just post some more review ramblings..hopefully at the weekend.

I only have used Olive One with my speakers, since I only use headphones at the office and use an X5 as my source..If you have any questions..I would gladly answer them..there are a lot of user reviews from the Olive Forums and of course there are good and bad..depends on your usage..for me its perfect..

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back