OLDSCHOOL Question
Oct 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gilftronic

New Head-Fier
I use a discman that's really old and needs replacing. Yes, I could get digital music player but if I do that I feel I'll abandon my re-born disc collection.

One reason I want to replace my current Sony S2 discman is that I feel it's not powering my Mad Dog headphones well; I have to make it as loud as it will go in a quiet surrounding. Also, there are three 'sound' options on the discman which adds bass - I need to turn it up to level one (of two) to give the roundness of bass I desire, but then it can be boomy.

If I'd have to get an amp and strap it on to whatever discman I have, then I will probably settle and get a good digital music player because the bulkiness of the current discman is already pushing the envelope of portability.

Thanks for reading this.

Peter

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 8
for something very slim you could attach to the players rear, incredible battery life with decent output power you could look into this as an option. Low purchase price also.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Hold steady!
wink_face.gif
  I too use a couple of portable CD players in rotation.. Going to take one for a walk now that you reminded me of them.

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 8
  I use a discman that's really old and needs replacing. Yes, I could get digital music player but if I do that I feel I'll abandon my re-born disc collection.

Why? I still buy CDs (because it's either 320kbps iTunes or only some of my preferred music on HDTracks, and I'm not about to buy 24-bit hardware), rip, then archive. In the catastrophic event that all my HDDs fail (power surge knocks out the one at home, my laptop bag and portables get stolen, etc....knock on wood) I still have my CDs on a shelf at home. Plus I like looking through the CD/DVD cover while I'm listening to it for the first time (many of them are metal, and not only do they come with nice art, some of them are also concept albums that tell just one longer story).

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi, Gilftronic -

You should strongly consider a DAP, as there no longer appear to be any decent-quality portable CD players on the market. (You'll still find a few low-end offerings from junk brands such as Coby and GPX.)

I still buy CDs; indeed, more than ninety percent of my music files are derived from discs. A DAP is not a panacea--each can have its own set of idiosyncrasies--but you shouldn't worry about abandoning your CDs.

Regards,
Brian

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Sony still makes some.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 8
ohh thanks for that, might have saved me some grief!  I'll go see if it's the same one that's up the road on the shelf.

Appreciated.

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 8
It's worth noting, too, that Amazon U.S. lists a couple of Sony models besides the DEJ011 that even Sony's own U.S. site doesn't seem to mention. I wonder if they were just discontinued?

Regards,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back