Headphoneus Supremus
PICT0028.jpg

Sep 24, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
Took pics on top of your shanling eh?
biggrin.gif

you discovered my secret
the alluminium mat top plate of the shanling in fact gives a smooth light reflex that's quite helpful for taking shots ..
[size=xx-small]this is the main reason I choosed a shanling [/size]

edit :sorry for the low quality of shots
my cam is so beautiful I won't tell what is
.. still trying to understand how many miles i have to stay away from the object to get a decent focus
confused.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 17
My HD-424's are very loose fitting, so as long as the ear pads are in good condition (boodi's look a little worn out) they are fine comfort wise.

Sep 25, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kush_
My HD-424's are very loose fitting, so as long as the ear pads are in good condition (boodi's look a little worn out) they are fine comfort wise.

Hi kush , happy to hear someone other 's got them .
How's sound for you (generally speaking , please don't compare them to hd650+zu) ?
To my ears these cans sound incredibly fine , i expected them very oldy sounding , they're upfront and very live -bright side- they aren't bad at all

Sep 25, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
HI kush , happy to hear someone other 's got friend .
How's sound for you (generally speaking , please don't compare them to hd650+zu) ?
To my ears hese cans sound incredibly fine , i expected them very oldy sounding , they're upfront and very live -surely birght-
They are not really bad

Hi Boodi,

I agree, the HD-424's still hold up well, especially considering how old they are. I have no idea how long i've had them but it must be 20+ years (They were my dads). Soundwise all i have here to compare them to is my HD-650's
frown.gif
The 424's are certainly brighter however recently their cable broke so I made a pretty standard replacement, which seems to have reduced the brightness a little. The 650's have much better bass however the 424's dont have bad bass by any means. Bass wise the 424's lack depth compared to the 650's.
The mids and highs on the 424's are good but just dont sound as clean as the 650's which is understandable. The 424's have a narrower soundstage and as you said sound more upfront. Overall the 424's still sound very good, my only annoyance with them is that they can sound harsh at high volumes but i generally dont crank them up too loud anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

I might borrow my mates Beyer DT-531's soon to see how they sound in comparison.

Sep 25, 2004 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kush_
Hi Boodi,

I agree, the HD-424's still hold up well, especially considering how old they are. I have no idea how long i've had them but it must be 20+ years (They were my dads). Soundwise all i have here to compare them to is my HD-650's
frown.gif
The 424's are certainly brighter however recently their cable broke so I made a pretty standard replacement, which seems to have reduced the brightness a little. The 650's have much better bass however the 424's dont have bad bass by any means. The mids and highs on the 424's are good but just dont sound as clean as the 650's which is understandable. The 424's have a narrower soundstage and as you said sound more upfront. I might borrow my mates Beyer DT-531's soon to see how they sound in comparison.

They're an unused pair i borrowed from a friend' dad who said to keep them since he doesn't have time to listen .

I might compare them with dt531 later .
again , they are not really bad . tried them out of an old marantz turntable system and with some '60-'70 rock tunes I remained impressed in a positive way

what impressed me also was how much things vinyls had to say to me vs cds .. give also the system was a '70 dirty marantz turntable + '70 marantz PM dirty amp ( i can't recall precisely what the model was )
I'm listening and loving the sound of these oldies at the moment .
The soundstage to my ears is very open, bass still present and naturally extended ( not ala ps-1 or hd650 though
wink.gif
)
They benefit of amplification; my portable pdcp don't drive them that well
I didn't think that it would have been worth spnding words about sound on them

Sep 25, 2004 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 17
Unused pair of 424's?
Mine have had so much use over the years, I would be suprised if many people here have headphones that are more broken-in than my 424's
tongue.gif

I have just been listening to my 'Hybrid - Wide Angel' CD with the 424's, where I found them quite impressive also.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 17
Sep 8, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 17
Maybe a touch late there, but those look to be early-'80s samples, judging by the gold-painted labels and the cable (similar to HD420SL). Should be a 600 ohmer then. My 2kOhm sample has metal label caps, like boodi's. (I have, however, replaced the disintegratofoam behind the drivers in the meantime; mine also got new earpads when they arrived.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back