Older Marantz players - are these any good?
Apr 12, 2008 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Walbaum

New Head-Fier
I was looking for bargain offers on Marantz CD6002 on Allegro (Polish online auction service). When browsing the Marantz category, I found out that there's a great deal of older Marantz players to buy at really laughable prices. Apparently, they are quite popular among buyers. According to descriptions, they are often in good condition or with replaced lasers.

Some of the models are: CD-36, CD-46, CD-52MkII, CD-57, CD-57MkII, CD-67MkII etc.

I think that I'll stick with the new CD6002, but nevertheless I'm very curious what can be said about aforementioned players in terms of sound quality. Thanks for any input on that!

Apr 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 20
We have a CD-42 here at home and it's a very good player. They're also built like tanks, though they don't really look it, ours is well over 10 years old now and still going strong.

Sound-wise, there's the typical Marantz house sound - a little rolled-off but quite neutral overall. It's showing its age now but that's only when I compare it to a DAC1. The CD-46 should be a little better in that respect.

Apr 12, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 20
Bizzel, thanks for your opinion; what you said sounds very promising.

Still, I'd love to hear something about the rest of the players. Maybe there's no need for buying a new CD6002 at all, if the older ones can be considered good as well?

Are there any “classic” & now-cheap CD players I could look after on auctions (don't have to be Marantz, of course)? I must say that now I feel like a child in the candy-store after discovering how many 80s/90s players can be bought at low prices. Or maybe it doesn't make sense at all and I should forget about them?

To make things more specific, I'd like to state that I need equipment for listening to early & classical music on (most probably) Sennheiser HD580s.

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walbaum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some of the models are: CD-36, CD-46, CD-52MkII, CD-57, CD-57MkII, CD-67MkII etc.

Generally with Marantz the higher numbers are better (unless it's below 20 in which case it's really high end stuff)

The 52MKII is good, that's an early bitstream machine from around 1992-4 when they were still very well made. The 57/57Mk2 or 67MkII are mid- late 90s and would be the ones I'd go for from that list.

The 36 and 46 were more budget machines as far as I remember.

Generally all but the really high end machines will be very cheap 2nd hand. The 1980s ones are also more expensive because of collectors value. The real affordable classic 1990s machine was the CD63MkII / Ken Ishiwata Signature. Also look out for earlier machines called "SE" as these were limited editions prior to KIS.

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

How much for the CD-67MKII, and have you got a full web address for us? That's a brilliant CDP, and if you stick a modern DAC on it as well you could have two possible sound signatures: one from the CDP and one from the DAC.

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much for the CD-67MKII, and have you got a full web address for us? That's a brilliant CDP, and if you stick a modern DAC on it as well you could have two possible sound signatures: one from the CDP and one from the DAC.

Unfortunately, this specific CD-67MkII has been already sold; they are appearing quite often on this site though.

Auctions are held here: Marantz on Allegro. You can also check out the archive for Marantz category (i.e. list of finished auctions). The prices are in Polish złoty (1 USD = about 2,2 złoty).

After some research I found out that various versions of CD-63 and CD-67 are generally very recommended (when it comes to used vintage entry-level models, that is). I think I'll buy one of them insted of CD-6002; I don't really need a great player for the rest of my life - I'm rather looking for a temporary solution for the period before I'll replace my HP notebook with a silent multimedia-oriented PC (and only since then I'll be willing to spend large sums of money
wink.gif
).

But what about CD-4x and CD-5x? And are there any specific DACs I should look after?

Here are some random threads on these players that I finally found after switching to Google Customized Search from standard forums search:
  1. Old Marantz cd players from the 50 - 52 - 62 series - good buy or total waste?
  2. NAD or Marantz?
  3. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/mar...e-about-75321/
  4. home listening recommendation
[size=xx-small]
Also: pardon my hilarious Poglish.[/size]

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

But what about CD-4x and CD-5x? And are there any specific DACs I should look after?

The early model CD 54 is much sought after by collectors for the original Philips CDM-1 diecast mech and the SE version even more so as it was the first Ken Ishiwata tweekjob. The 52SE and 54 MK2 SE are well worth a look.

If you find one of these or a CD 63 or 67 in good working condition you will probably find it outperforms many media PCs unless you spend a lot on a DAC and even then the higher end Philips CD transports from the 1990s are pretty much still benchmark at this price level and can be improved still further with reclocking.

Media PCs are very convenient but still on the whole not the last word in Hi-Fi.

May 16, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Hi, Walbaum!

Have you bought something?

I am very pleased with Marantz CD40 model, which has a Philips TDA1541A DAC; it may look cheap & entry-level, but has an outstanding performance!
Compared it with many models, including CD 4x, 5x, 6x, 6000SE and I can tell you it outperforms any of them.

Just think about it. Good luck!

May 16, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by biosecurit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marantz CD40 model, which has a Philips TDA1541A DAC; it may look cheap & entry-level, but has an outstanding performance!
Compared it with many models, including CD 4x, 5x, 6x, 6000SE and I can tell you it outperforms any of them.

check out this guys info on all TDA1541 based players

TDA1541

He is also from Poland coincidently so there are a few obscure ones in there from the likes of Grundig or Blaupunkt which will be more common in Central Europe and may be cheaper than those Marantz players mentioned so far.

May 16, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 20
I have a Marantz CD-63SE which has been with me for many years and its sound is very pleasing. I think its strength especially lies in how it beautifully handles highs. I have also purchased the Stello DP200 which has a highly praised DAC (same as Stello DA220) and, although the DP200 improves the sound quite significantly, cost-wise I would not complain since the price difference is also very significant. I would recommend trying out vintage Marantz CD players, especially if you consider their low prices these days.

May 27, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 20
Does anyone know where you can get drawer belts for the CD12?

The drawer sometimes sticks when sliding out

May 27, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 20
My 1st proper spinner was a 52MKII and I remember loving it to bits, I had it for a few years before the hifitis bug kicked in and it was replaced by a an Arcam 8SE. I was sad to see it go mind you and would love to hear one today..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back