Older Mac - Where to look?
Nov 27, 2006 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, at one time I used to have a 20" iMac G5 but we had to return it because my dad hates OS X. He kept wanting a start menu or something like that . Pity, because I loved OS X for the 20 some days I had it.

I already have other Windows/Linux computers I can use but I'd really like to have a OS X box to mess around on (I already have the OS DVD's). I remember one Head-Fi user who bought a iMac for $50 to mess around with. Don't remember who it was or what the results where.

I'm looking to get a Mac for $100-150...What can I get for that money?

Oh, and I'd prefer a PowerMac type computer without the monitor since I have that already.

Hmmm...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-PowerMac-G...em200049823089

Could I buy that and just stick in a floppy, DVDRW, ATX PSU?

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 21
Wow. I was looking on ebay and some G4's can actually be had for $50-60...

Thanks for the link. I think I've been there before, but I've never really searched through the site or anything.

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, at one time I used to have a 20" iMac G5 but we had to return it because my dad hates OS X. He kept wanting a start menu or something like that . Pity, because I loved OS X for the 20 some days I had it.

That almost makes me cry.
confused.gif
(You could have made him a spring-loaded folder, renamed it "Start", stuck it in the dock, and voila! In fact, that's exactly what I do!)

I suggest lowendmac deals (and the whole site in general, lowendmac.com), it's where I used to find all the stuff for a PowerMac 7500 until I gave up the goose and bought a modern machine. They list current best prices and the major dealers, individuals selling G3, G4, G5 and other systems.

Maybe you could beg your dad to lend you a few bucks to get a Mac Mini -- refurbished and used are less than $400, if you already have a monitor and such.

--Chris

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 21
You can use some model G4s with a ATX psu. I've modded macs quite extensively especially the G4 model. PM me if you want more info.

I would pick up a old AGP mac like one of these.

Here's an eBay sorted list of G4's by lowest price.

Imo OS X is junk. Many features don't work well and it's a fairly imprecise OS.

XP is much more precise.

I've used both OSs for many years (back to OS 7 and NT 4.0/2000).

OS X I guess is ok for servers, but for a precise user experience XP is much cleaner to use.

Plus the maximize button in OS X doesn't maximize. Inferior!

|

The only reason I use OS X is b/c it's more stable than a similar XP solution. The only prob. is the Mac hardward is much more expensive b/c apple has a self-proclaimed monopoly on Mac hardware. (above is 2 pics of my g4 box)

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 21
You might want to look for some computer surplus stores in your area. you can often pick up some good deals there if you are looking for older hardware.
If you can't find any try checking at the nearest University. When I was in college they had a surplus store with lots of old Macs and PCs for cheap.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by puiah11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imo OS X is junk. Many features don't work well and it's a fairly imprecise OS.
XP is much more precise.
I've used both OSs for many years (back to OS 7 and NT 4.0/2000).
OS X I guess is ok for servers, but for a precise user experience XP is much cleaner to use.
Plus the maximize button in OS X doesn't maximize. Inferior!

The only reason I use OS X is b/c it's more stable than a similar XP solution.

Man, I'd love to hear how you define "precise." You repeat it several times, but I have no idea what you mean. I use XP and OS X daily (and more years on the Windows side), but if "precise" has anything to do with text, graphic, video, etc. display or general GUI rules throughout the OS and running programs, or just general GUI principles period, "more precise" is the last term I'd apply to XP in a battle with OS X. I mean go through the steps of setting up a VPN or dealing with extension relationships in Windows and let me know where the precision shows? One of the most irritating aspects of Windows is it's inconsistent steps needed for debugging. Listen both OSs have strengths, but Windows precision? I thought the imprecision is why I had to do a clean install at a maximum of every 12 months to keep running smoothly. Sorry, I'm not trying to start the 412th OS X v. XP debate around here, but I gotta admit that's a strange comment to make. Please explain.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 21
Okay. I'm not so brilliant...

On eBay I just bid $40 + (40 ship...so $80 total) on a G3 400mhz, 1GB ram. Ack. I missed the '3' part although I should have known given the low price it was at. Maybe I wont win.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 21
If you're not happy you can quickly retract the bid. There are several legitimate reasons.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're not happy you can quickly retract the bid. There are several legitimate reasons.

Now I remember why I bid on it... See, at the specs area it says it has a 400mhz G4. But the thing is that I don't know if that is a typo or not. Even if it is *just* a G3, it has 1GB of RAM which should be good. My proxy bid is 40. But the actual bid is at $3 now. 21 hours left. Maybe the moons will align and I'll win like this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back