Older Mac - Where to look?
Nov 28, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #16 of 21
Thanks to dealmac.com I see that MegaMacs has a G4 533Mhz 256/30/CDRW Digital Audio for $250 and a 466 with more memory and zip drive.

Digital audio being the key -- no need for additional hardware to hook up a DAC -- the generations before this only have line outs, you would need to purchase a card.

This would make a great media server, but a pretty sluggish desktop machine for anything other than internet and such.

Best bet still to save up for a Mini
wink.gif

--Chris

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #17 of 21
Ask around in offices and such, telling them you'd be happy to free them from old computers free of charge. I'm doing just that, and I have a garage half full of old computers, some of which even work
tongue.gif

You're bound to get a Mac sooner or later... I got a Mac Plus with a 20 megabyte hard drive
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #18 of 21
Fallingwater says:
Quote:

[O]ld computers ... I have a garage half full of old computers

I would be very careful, particularly in the EU. All those old computers may be considered toxic and a health hazard. It could cost you a bit of money to get rid of them someday.

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #19 of 21
Nah. I get rid of them regularly. If they work, I keep them (and maybe later give them away or something). If they don't, I take them apart, salvage what works and dump the rest in the local recycling center... from which I also like to salvage electronic stuff that seems in decent condition.

Interesting fact: you wouldn't believe how many people don't wipe the hard drive before ditching their old computers.
I've gotten loads old games and various stuff off old drives. I never read any documents as a matter of principle, of course; I value my own privacy a lot, and it'd be pretty hypocrytical of me if I infringed on that of others.
But still, if I were an ill-intentioned person, I could have gotten loads of private material off those old computers.

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #21 of 21
With shipping at $40 and the bid at ~$16 and about 2 1/2 hours left...I'm hoping I'll win. Slim chance though.

My friends 300mhz G3, 256mb ram and 10.3 worked pretty good... So 400 and 1gb should be fine with OS X I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back