Older DT880 to the newer DT880, any sound difference?
Apr 30, 2006 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
I really liked my DT880 when I had it, but they were very hard to drive out of my older, now gone amp! The power has been upped with my new PPX3-Slam, so I'm thinking of getting the newer 2006 model DT880's. Has the sound signature changed that much from the original? Is there a bit more bass slam?

Apr 30, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 35
Shopkeeper who i have been dealing with lately said that newer DT880 has way more fun sound than old, having more bass and all. Going to check it out myself once i have money.

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 35
Beware, that particular shopkeeper might suck.

Beyerdynamic says, they sound the same.
Tyl Hertsens says, the new one may sound a tad better due to softer treble response (if i remember correctly)

If existant, the change should be small. No major changes reported by now.

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 35
In order for me to really be able to detect any differences, I have to quickly swap from the old to the new and do an a/b. Differences are subtle and I wouldn't say that the new version is 'way' better.

Imo, it is slightly better but it is subtle. That's why I think that Beyer have done a good job on them because the original Beyer is also superb. You get the feeling that there is a tad more richness in the overall sound but resolution seems to be the same.

I slightly prefer the new version but it is only a tiny distance away from its older brother. If you can get a good deal on the old version, I would go for that, otherwise, the new version is so close you would hardly know.

The dealer seems to be making out that there are huge differences - he's wrong.

Ian

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
In order for me to really be able to detect any differences, I have to quickly swap from the old to the new and do an a/b. Differences are subtle and I wouldn't say that the new version is 'way' better.

Imo, it is slightly better but it is subtle. That's why I think that Beyer have done a good job on them because the original Beyer is also superb. You get the feeling that there is a tad more richness in the overall sound but resolution seems to be the same.

I slightly prefer the new version but it is only a tiny distance away from its older brother. If you can get a good deal on the old version, I would go for that, otherwise, the new version is so close you would hardly know.

The dealer seems to be making out that there are huge differences - he's wrong.

Ian

Naah, its pretty known audioshop around here. He said that around 80's and 90's DT880 was that boring line-straight neutral headphone where DT990 was "teh fun" music headphone. Nowadays DT880 is funnier headphone and very suitable for rock and hard music overall. Im going to compare it to Grado SR225 soon to see if there is any truth in it, but another forumite confirmed this too.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Has the sound signature changed that much from the original? Is there a bit more bass slam?

The overall signature is exactly the same. There is a pinch more bass, and as iancraig10 said, it's a bit more rich sounding. Definitely no changes that made a bad difference, only improvements all around.

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 35
Excellent guys, because I just ordered one!
tongue.gif
I always liked the sound of the DT880's, but felt that they were very hard to drive.

My new amp is more powerful than my previous one, so everything should be fine now!

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
Naah, its pretty known audioshop around here. He said that around 80's and 90's DT880 was that boring line-straight neutral headphone where DT990 was "teh fun" music headphone. Nowadays DT880 is funnier headphone and very suitable for rock and hard music overall. Im going to compare it to Grado SR225 soon to see if there is any truth in it, but another forumite confirmed this too.

The DT880 is not known as a good 'rocker'. The guy may have meant the 770. If he's sure about it, I'm sure he'd sell you a pair that you could return if not suitable.

They are neutral and the new one is slightly tweaked. More revealing than the SR225.

I have virtually the whole Grado family here and both versions of the Beyer. I slightly prefer the new Beyer but I would go to Grado 325i for rock personally, although many on Headfi recommend the 225.

I find the Beyer DT880 more suitable for acoustic music.

Ian

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 35
I also have both versions of dt880 and also slightly prefer the newer version but for some music the older version is quite good.

The newer version is slightly tamed treble and the bass seems a little better as far as tightness and impact. If one does not listen to real hard rock, but mellower rock its very good. I myself have grown tired of real raucious hard rock and prefer more progressive and complex flavors of rock and DT880 is great for this.

If you like to listen to hard kick ass rock just get a grado, anyone really.
icon10.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio
The newer version is slightly tamed treble and the bass seems a little better as far as tightness and impact. If one does not listen to real hard rock, but mellower rock its very good. I myself have grown tired of real raucious hard rock and prefer more progressive and complex flavors of rock and DT880 is great for this.

Just what I wanted to hear about rock. I may try to get a pair sometime.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
Naah, its pretty known audioshop around here. He said that around 80's and 90's DT880 was that boring line-straight neutral headphone ...

The DT880 didn't come out until 2004, so he must be mistaken. Perhaps he was thinking of the DT770? But even that doesn't make sense because the last thing I'd call them is line-straight neutral. They are major (uncontrolled and muddy as can be) bass monsters!

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 35
Headfi880s043006a

Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
I have the old model, 250 Ohm.
And tried the new 250 Ohm model.
The sound in the old model is very neutral, "dry", but for listening to classical music, it gives more air, more sharpness in the details.
The new model was getting closer to the Grado-character, not neutral but more, and sharper/punchier bass, more life.
The difference is obvious when you compare them, but still I will not say the new is "better" than the old, but different.
The new DT770, same impedance model, was terrible, sounded like you had a box over your head!

I currently have both a new-out-of-box pair of the new-design 880s and a new-out-of-box pair of the old-design 880s -- both burning in side-by-side via a new-out-of-box Corda Aria (w/usb dac).

Surprisingly my findings are somewhat different what you've experienced. I find that the new design has more air, sounds more spacious (more depth and shape to instruments) and lively, and presents more detail than the old design (even string bass has more texture). So far I don't feel there's more low frequency energy in the new one, just more textural detail. The new design, however, seems to have some upper midrange emphases and has an overall brighter character. The old design, by comparison, has a lusher, more velvety character and a warmer, more relaxed sound. I was almost tempted to call it a more "neutral" if less lively character – but it’s a different set of colorations.

It will be a while before they burn in and before I can hear them with enough types of music and systems to decide which I prefer overall.

I don’t know if they'll change significantly with burn in. At this stage I mostly prefer how the old design presents voices. The new (unburned) 880, though more energetic and dimensional, might be fatiguing in the long run if it doesn’t smooth out some.

Since both have hardly any play time, it's too soon to say exactly what the bass and top end may sound like after burn in. Some owners have said they don't require much burn in, but I'll decide for myself after 100/200/300 hours on the phones and on the Aria.

I've listened a little to both 880s via M3 and Ear Max Pro. Both 880s sound (equally) much more musical (with more satisfying bass, sweeter highs and bigger/more open soundspace) through the EMP than the M3 or Aria -- but again, I'll wait 'til the amps have had equal play time as well. After just a day’s play the Aria already sounds a bit richer.

If anyone’s curious, after trying a wide range of music, today I’ve been using “Cantate Domino” SACD (wonderful pipe organ, brass choir, small voice choir and female solo voice in a huge Swedish church) and “The Dana Owen Album” Redbook (Queen Latifah) – especially track 12 “Lush Life” (really big & lush sound), track 6 “Close Your Eyes” (clear crisp jazz guitar, solid string bass, drums with clear crisp cymbals/high hat, crystalline triangle, subtle horn(s). Corda Aria (crossfeed off) gets usb signal from iTunes Lossless files on a Powerbook G4 1.25Ghz 1GB w/Superdrive. Ear Max Pro and M3 get SACD signal from Pioneer DV563a player analog out via Zu Oxyfuel or Distech or Magwire interconnects, and Redbook music from optical out via glass toslinks to Spitfire DAC > same interconnects, all Volex power cords.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 35
Nice post, Peter. Thanks for sharing your initial impressions. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here. Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back