[Old thread. Bury it, please.] NVX XPT100 (HM5 clone) - nonexistent bass, tinny and artificial sound?!
Jan 17, 2015 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 136

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
[This is an old thread. Please bury it. I have owned countless other headphones at this point and it's not like I'm still looking for help relating to this headphone that I got rid of long ago.]

I am tagging people who should be knowledgeable about this. I hope that's alright.

@ashton18 @BillsonChang007 @bowei006 @Brooko @Claritas @dwayniac @OMGLadyGaga @jodgey4 @JoeDoe @keanex @lin0003 @manveru @soze @YoYo JoKeR

I recently got the NVX XPT100. It has the same drivers as the Brainwavz HM5.

My problem is that (contrary to all the reviews that praise it for being neutral, accurate, realistic, etc.) the bass is nearly nonexistent and it sounds extremely tinny and artificial.

I am already driving it with a Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp. (The same problems exist when I plug it into my laptop's headphone jack.)

I know the problem is not my system, because my QC15 sounds fantastic connected to my desktop system.

(I had similar sound quality problems with the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x. I even sent them in to be examined for defects by the manufacturer, but there was apparently nothing wrong with them. They came back sounding exactly the same, so I returned them.)

I can tell this headphone has potential, but there is something seriously wrong.

If you have insights, please help.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 136
They don't sound tinny or artificial to be by any large means. I haven't heard that complaint either.

Do you think mine could be defective? They sound worse than free Apple earbuds. Like someone turned the treble and mids way up and the bass all the way down. Even when I put on songs with extremely heavy bass, the bass just isn't there.

(I already played this game once and don't want to do it again. The M40x sounded totally fake too, and when I sent them in to be looked at, there weren't any defects. The odd thing is that when I was listening to recordings of headphones on YouTube, the M40x was indistinguishable from the recording.)

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 136
Okay, let me try my best to help you out mate,

First of all, I assume:

1) These headphones are 'burnt in' for sufficient time.

2) There are no issues with cables/ sound system/ or the sound tracks.

I have a DIY solution which might solve your issue:

> Disconnect cables, remove the headphone drivers from the yokes,

> Remove the ear pads, unscrew the ear cups,

> You will have access to drivers now: Gently blow air to the backside of drivers by using a hair dryer from rear side (from ear cup side) repeat this thrice, with different air pressures.

> Assemble everything back, and hear out the results!

If you are not satisfied with the above, 

> Get velour ear pads, OR semi open ear cups; this step will increase air and naturalness in sound, and might solve your issues.

If not satisfied even now, then do not waste anymore resources, it is better to return them. 

Any more issues, please do ask.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 136

Thanks for the info.

But I thought modifying the headphones would disqualify them from being returned...?

Also, I don't know how to safely remove the drivers and do not have access to a hair dryer.

I just received them less than a day ago. To my knowledge, there are no problems in my system aside from the headphones.

Did you experience any of the problems I'm going through now? Did their sound change significantly after burn-in? Details, please.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 136
They shouldn't be that far off from QC15's... if you EQ the bass up to sound normal, do you hear distortion? That could be a way to diagnose the issue if it's a mechanical problem.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 136
Yep mate, I reckon opening up headphones may void their warranty, and there will no significant changes in sonic changes after burn in, just that your ears and brain will be accustomed to its sound signature.

So, cutting across all complications, why dont you just return it and get a replacement (or buy a HM5)?  (since we cannot do any DIY due to warranty issues)

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #14 of 136
  They shouldn't be that far off from QC15's... if you EQ the bass up to sound normal, do you hear distortion? That could be a way to diagnose the issue if it's a mechanical problem.

My QC15 has ten times more bass than this XPT100. lol

And yes, it's extremely distorted when I increase the bass with EQ. Correction: when I use a better EQ, it does not distort...much. But the bass is still very weak, even when I turn it all the way up with EQ!!!

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 136
  Yep mate, I reckon opening up headphones may void their warranty, and there will no significant changes in sonic changes after burn in, just that your ears and brain will be accustomed to its sound signature.

So, cutting across all complications, why dont you just return it and get a replacement (or buy a HM5)?  (since we cannot do any DIY due to warranty issues)

The HM5 uses the same drivers, so it would more or less sound the same.

Since my XPT100 distorts a lot when I add bass with EQ, it may be defective. (Refer to above correction.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back