[Old thread. Bury it, please.] NVX XPT100 (HM5 clone) - nonexistent bass, tinny and artificial sound?!
Jan 27, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #61 of 136
  And most live music is overly bassy because that's what people want. I've heard the QC15 and sure it's more similar to boomy sound systems and poor sound the sound guys mix at shows, that doesn't mean it's better. If you're eating at McDonalds often you can't expect a good burger to suit your palate, especially when the cost isn't near the same.

I'm 99% sure you like music bassily reproduced. I say this because I see shows many times a month in many venues in Philly. The sound is not even close to being comparable to what a decent headphone will sound with a CD recording. You definitely prefer bassy headphones and you're associating that as natural, but that's not natural. The venue's engineer is not only adding his preference to the mix, but considering the crowds preference. 

I am talking about actual (acoustic) instruments, not someone turning up the bass on an EQ system. I have been a musician all my life. And you conveniently looked over the fact that I was not just referring to rock concerts when I said I know what real music sounds like. Nice try trying to portray me as a basshead instead of an audiophile, but I assure you I am not.

You say that you don't like bass heavy headphones yet the graphs show that they are not even close to linear. 

I never claimed that the LP and QC15 are linear. In fact, in my quote, I said:

The LP has far too much bass, and the QC15 was pretty boosted in the bass as well.

For the record, audiophiles can enjoy bass-heavy headphones too. Don't make assumptions about me simply because I don't have the money for an HD 800 right now.

Also, when I heard the Sennheiser HD 558 in a shop, it sounded fine. Fairly clear and accurate, without sounding tinny and artificial like the M40x and XPT100 do.

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #62 of 136
Again - there is a difference between what is neutral and what we perceive as natural.

No need to debate it - it's how we are wired 
smile.gif

If you want a more natural sounding headphone, then HM5 / clones are not for you.

Try the UE6000 or Seen Momentum over ear.

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #63 of 136
  Again - there is a difference between what is neutral and what we perceive as natural.

No need to debate it - it's how we are wired 
smile.gif

If you want a more natural sounding headphone, then HM5 / clones are not for you.

Try the UE6000 or Seen Momentum over ear.

I'm thinking this is also related to the various HRTF curves used, and how a headphone may measure close to neutral with one, but not others. I heard that some of the curves are based on what we perceive as natural.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #64 of 136

I am talking about actual (acoustic) instruments, not someone turning up the bass on an EQ system. I have been a musician all my life. And you conveniently looked over the fact that I was not just referring to rock concerts when I said I know what real music sounds like. Nice try trying to portray me as a basshead instead of an audiophile, but I assure you I am not.

I never claimed that the LP and QC15 are linear. In fact, in my quote, I said:

For the record, audiophiles can enjoy bass-heavy headphones too. Don't make assumptions about me simply because I don't have the money for an HD 800 right now.

Also, when I heard the Sennheiser HD 558 in a shop, it sounded fine. Fairly clear and accurate, without sounding tinny and artificial like the M40x and XPT100 do.

I'm a musician too man. I have a Dean acoustic for the rich warmth of it and an Ovation for the more twangy plasticy tone. Yes I'm mildly offended baed on your post recent posts because they are somewhat condescending. I have the HD558, too lacking in treble for me. Based on what I've read you'll not like the HD800 either.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #65 of 136
  I'm a musician too man. I have a Dean acoustic for the rich warmth of it and an Ovation for the more twangy plasticy tone. Yes I'm mildly offended baed on your post recent posts because they are somewhat condescending. I have the HD558, too lacking in treble for me. Based on what I've read you'll not like the HD800 either.

I didn't mean to insult anyone; I was just trying to express how bad and unnatural the XPT100 and other studio monitor headphones I've tried sound to me. If other people like them, that's fine - I just can't imagine how.

I'll try to audition the HD 800 before buying it.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #66 of 136
Just to be totally clear, I would like to reiterate. My cheap speakers that cost next to nothing are pretty bright-sounding - plenty of mids and treble, with even less bass than any headphone I've heard. Yet, they don't sound tinny or artificial like the XPT100 does. My reason for stating this again is to illustrate how the issue is not me wanting a bassy sound or whatever; it is me wanting it to sound like real musical instruments and how the recording actually is.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #67 of 136
So you are complaining about the mids and treble then? 

Looking at what you have said, the best headphone for you might be the HE-500 IMO or perhaps the LCD-2. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #68 of 136
  So you are complaining about the mids and treble then? 

Looking at what you have said, the best headphone for you might be the HE-500 IMO or perhaps the LCD-2. 

The biggest problems for me were with the mids and treble, yes. My speakers have bright mids and treble as well, but no major problems like this. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the other aspects of headphone sound aside from tonal balance. It just sounds nothing like real instruments to me.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #69 of 136

The biggest problems for me were with the mids and treble, yes. My speakers have bright mids and treble as well, but no major problems like this. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the other aspects of headphone sound aside from tonal balance. It just sounds nothing like real instruments to me.

But you find your cheap speakers to sound realistic 
confused_face_2.gif
?

Obviously speakers sound more realistic compared to headphones, but at a price, a large one. 

I don't think any $3K speaker setup will beat a $3K HD800 setup, but others will argue otherwise.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #70 of 136
But you find your cheap speakers to sound realistic 
confused_face_2.gif
?

Obviously speakers sound more realistic compared to headphones, but at a price, a large one. 

I don't think any $3K speaker setup will beat a $3K HD800 setup, but others will argue otherwise.

My cheap speakers sound awful - but still much better than the XPT100.

I really want to get the HD 800 more than most other flagship headphones. I highly doubt it will have the "sounds fake to me" problems I've experienced with many lower-end studio monitor headphones. I also mentioned that when I heard the Sennheiser HD 558 in a shop, it sounded fine - fairly accurate and realistic.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #71 of 136

My cheap speakers sound awful - but still much better than the XPT100.

I really want to get the HD 800 more than most other flagship headphones. I highly doubt it will have the "sounds fake to me" problems I've experienced with many lower-end studio monitor headphones. I also mentioned that when I heard the Sennheiser HD 558 in a shop, it sounded fine - fairly accurate and realistic.

The HD558 is somewhat warm. The 800 is not. 

If you think the XPT100 is very tinny and fake sounding in tone, you will likely come to the same conclusion as the HD800 given the model you have is the same as the HM5. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #72 of 136
  The HD558 is somewhat warm. The 800 is not. 

If you think the XPT100 is very tinny and fake sounding in tone, you will likely come to the same conclusion as the HD800 given the model you have is the same as the HM5. 

I sure hope it doesn't work out that way! If I get serious, I may have enough money to buy the HD 800 within the next month or two...but before that, I should find a place nearby that has it available for audition. Shouldn't be too tricky, since I actually do live near Head-Fi headquarters. =D

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #73 of 136

I sure hope it doesn't work out that way! If I get serious, I may have enough money to buy the HD 800 within the next month or two...but before that, I should find a place nearby that has it available for audition. Shouldn't be too tricky, since I actually do live near Head-Fi headquarters. =D

I really suggest you compare them to the HE-500 and LCD-2 or even X and 3 before you buy, you might find the cheaper options better. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #74 of 136
  I really suggest you compare them to the HE-500 and LCD-2 or even X and 3 before you buy, you might find the cheaper options better. 

Will do! (If I have the opportunity.)

I'm also curious about the Audeze EL-8, although the hyped-up promo statements confuse more than help:

The EL-8 is possessed of the world's most advanced planar magnetic technology with sound quality unheard of in this or any other price category. 

Maybe they're just trying to say that it sounds different in a way that no one has heard before...but the way they word it makes it seem like it's supposed to be better than their more expensive models. XD

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #75 of 136
If you use EQ to make the XPT100's sound 'natural', what does that look like?

They are near flat for many HTRF functions, and sound close to many monitors I've heard while remaining slightly warm... but the latest Harman-Kardan HTRFs are even warmer/darker... this is the goal that Audeze uses, and NAD and PSB with their HP50 and M4U# cans, respectively. I'd love to hear how you find the presentation of such cans.

Also, it could be that your ears have a problem with treble, and there's a certain peak in there that's causing many of the troubles you hear. The XPT100 bass, while not the warmest, I find to be tight and extended, and some of the closest to natural and neutral of many cans. And I'm not afraid of bass :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back