Old technologies which deserve attention and usage
Jul 9, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #31 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the poster that said that the hunter-gather lifestyle was self-sustaining for hundreds of millions of years - that's true, but the individual life-span was also *very* short, and for that brief life, every minute of every day was spent on survival. There wasn't much time left over for art, music, sports, politics, charities or social causes. It wasn't until technology allowed the shift to a more agrarian society that our ancestors starting seeing some available free time.

Actually, I was under the impression that hunter-gatherers had lots of lesure time, but I suppose that might have depended on the specific ecosystem.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #32 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I was under the impression that hunter-gatherers had lots of lesure time, but I suppose that might have depended on the specific ecosystem.

IAMNAA (I am not an archeologist), but I think we're both right. From what I've read, in the lower-paleolithic (eg, H. habilis) I think there wasn't much going on except survival - although the very low population density certainly helped a great deal. Things started to get more sophisticated in the middle & upper-paleolithic as tools and societies became more sophisticated. That's when most experts think art, music, religion, etc started happening. I think it also very much depended on the specific environmental conditions, like times of drought, glaciation, etc. H. habilis is believed to have existed for about 900,000 years - that's about 4x what H. sapians has achieved thus far! We have a looooong way to go!
atsmile.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #33 of 95
To get the thread back on topic - I would be in favor of having products that are built more ruggedly and designed to be repaired as opposed to being replaced. It drives me crazy when I see products put together with plastic tabs that can't be opened without breaking, or sheet metal screws driven into plastic such that they never fit as tight the second time. Anything that flexes, rubs, rotates or oscillates should be user replaceable with easy to obtain and inexpensive parts!

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #38 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IAMNAA (I am not an archeologist), but I think we're both right. From what I've read, in the lower-paleolithic (eg, H. habilis) I think there wasn't much going on except survival - although the very low population density certainly helped a great deal. Things started to get more sophisticated in the middle & upper-paleolithic as tools and societies became more sophisticated. That's when most experts think art, music, religion, etc started happening. I think it also very much depended on the specific environmental conditions, like times of drought, glaciation, etc. H. habilis is believed to have existed for about 900,000 years - that's about 4x what H. sapians has achieved thus far! We have a looooong way to go!
atsmile.gif

Aha there is an interesting topic I read an analysis recently which calculated that people had more free time for themselves during the dark ages 1000-1500's

Industrial revolution has robbed people from their time yes it has brought alot of technology but has it brought happiness and feeling of content into our lives? I think not. Its very complicated to judge these kind of developments for me personally because I love technology I am a firm believer of "technofix".

About a year ago I saw a documentary called "Garbage Warrior". I suppose few of you have seen it. It told a story about a guy who builds earth-ships (no external heating source, some provide food and water etc).

Anyways it left a deep impact into me when he told about the time when he finished his first earth-ships and discovered how much free time people actually posess if they don't have to pay bills. If you only need money for occational luxury items etc. Obviously you will still want it but damn if you are not dependant anymore you dont have to posess a job to survive....damn. Cut yourself loose and imagine how much time you have to benefit yourself and the planet if you choose to...

And these houses are not ugly or uncomfortable either

home_earthship.jpg

YouTube - Earthships 101 part I

http://www.earthship.net/

...So lets use the old technology of not working our asses off...

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #39 of 95
You have a good eye for form, Spareribs. Three very nicely styled items. I'd guess you like Art Deco too....

My 'old' technology? Fountain pens, filled from the bottle.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #40 of 95
Speaking of steam power, it reminded me of trains. Has anyone seen the recent CSX commerical on TV? It's a good reminder of how ridiculously efficient trains are at moving cargo. I wonder how many miles of unused track the US could be using right now.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #41 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a good eye for form, Spareribs. Three very nicely styled items. I'd guess you like Art Deco too....

My 'old' technology? Fountain pens, filled from the bottle.

ART DECO rocks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #42 of 95
Arlekiin, thx for the earthship info. This is something that i really am interested in doing. I currently have an ongoing building project off the grid but this is possibly the next step for any outbuilings i might want on the site! I have seen some adobe and haybail structures recently that would impress most architecture enthusiasts.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #43 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of steam power, it reminded me of trains. Has anyone seen the recent ATX commerical on TV? It's a good reminder of how ridiculously efficient trains are at moving cargo. I wonder how many miles of unused track the US could be using right now.

Probably not much more due to competition from ever more efficient tractor trailers. The increase in intermodal transport (rail, then truck for 'last mile') and JIT inventory management (rail has huge latency) has also bitten into freight rail's market share. Still, the US already moves a remarkable amount of cargo by rail (~40% by tonnage) compared to Europe (~8% by tonnage). For the most part it's due to population density differences with a minor assist from public policy.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #44 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arlekiin, thx for the earthship info. This is something that i really am interested in doing. I currently have an ongoing building project off the grid but this is possibly the next step for any outbuilings i might want on the site! I have seen some adobe and haybail structures recently that would impress most architecture enthusiasts.

Oh very nice I am not alone here.

Where do you reside if I may ask? Country is enough for starters
smily_headphones1.gif
. I am in the UK at the moment but wont stay probably does not feel like a safe place to harbour my future earthship
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back