old sennheiser hd 420 any good?
Mar 19, 2004 at 12:07 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

how do i clean pads? put em in the washing machine?

Back in the days...
My old pads were falling apart form me, i think this was a combination of old age and sweat. I wouldnt bother cleaning them, just leave them and go buy some more when they start to fall apart.

Mar 19, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #17 of 28
actually, I pulled off the pads a few days ago to clean them, and i found all this really weird looking orangy powder underneath (the pads). I think they started to decompose lol.

p.s.
do they have generic sennheiser pads at audio stores? (in canada) or do i have to buy a pad from a different make?

Mar 20, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #18 of 28
Yeh thats exactly what happend to my old HD424 Pads, decomposed :p

I just went to one of the local audio shops in the city which deals with Sennheiser and they had replacement pads in stock. If places have them in stock in western australia then I dont see why they wouldn't in canada. If not i spose they could just order them in.

Mar 20, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by null
actually, I pulled off the pads a few days ago to clean them, and i found all this really weird looking orangy powder underneath (the pads). I think they started to decompose lol.

Had that with a pair of brand new senn 414 pads.
frown.gif

Guess they were old stock.

Getting new pads is simple. I went to a local Sennheiser dealer and just ordered the pads. If this is possible in Australia and Europe then Canada won't be a problem either.

You can actually wash them in the washing machine. I dyed a pair in the washing machine and they came out fine. But when it's time to wash them I think I'll just do it with water and soap. Think that'll be better.

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

you mean they still carry pads for 30 year old sennheisers?

Sennheiser carry spare parts for every model of headphones they've ever made
biggrin.gif

One of the many good attributes to the company

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

i've got a pair of old hd 420s... are these good cans, or should i just toss em out?

Me too - that was actually my first headphone, bought ~ 1980. It should still be somewhere at my parents' place... The HD 420 used to be fairly good for the price, which was ~ 75 DM, iirc. Not too great in absolute terms, though - the AKG K240M I got a few years later seemed quite a big step up to me...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 21, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

p.s.
do they have generic sennheiser pads at audio stores? (in canada) or do i have to buy a pad from a different make?

well there joes audioshop in canada, and superaudio warehouse in canada, so just pop into one of those places. by any chance, do you know bob from canada?

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #25 of 28
well if you really want to toss them out you can toss them my way.  I was just using mine which was hooked up to my yamaha keyboard and they just make me want to keep playing.  I like them and sennheiser in my opinion makes a fine product. So it's up to you

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #27 of 28
I owned these back around 1980 after having the HD-424 for a few years before that.  I liked that the HD-420 had a LOT more bass than the HD-424, but it was boomy and didn't have the mid to high frequency clean sparkle of the HD-424.

However, here we are in 2016 and I couldn't resist picking up another pair after having lived without these for the last 2 years!  I'm glad they are here in my collection again.  A warm, sweet sound signature that grows on you like the HD-600.  The bass is a bit wooly, true, but beyond that the overall sound is high quality and SMOOTH.

At 600 ohms they sound great through my old Sony receiver and the Woo Audio WA2, but you can forget an iphone or weak sister type headamp.  These are the power hungry monsters that the HD-424's are (2,000 ohms!), but they do take a fair amount to deliver their best.

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #28 of 28
Hello there,
I’ve just picked a pair of the hd 420 for 50 dollars which sounds so cool 😊 is it possible to change their pads using the cushions of the hd 424 that I see in the store ? If yes where could I find pads replacement guide for this model ? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back