Old PIMETA issues
May 8, 2008 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rokk

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community!

I have an 'old' Pimeta that's not built by me that once upon a time worked just fine but suddenly decided not to play nice anymore.
When max out the volume at the source and turn the knob all the way to max, the sound I get out of the Pimeta is Very low, totaly without any hint of bass and with a low 'hum' in the background.

I'm feeding it with the same 14V DC transformer I've always used for it. It's using AD843 OPamps and single buffers, the amps are getting warm but not overly hot.

Can anybody give me a hint in the right direction so I can try and fix the amp, and what more information do you need to help me root the issue out?

May 8, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 3
Have you got a meter (pretty much have to have one for this)?

Go to Step-by-Step Assembly Guide and check the input to output ground DC offset, and the DC offset for the L and R channels to OG. IIRC, the AD843 may like to lock up at one rail in certain situations (check tangent's site)? I suspect the ground buffer on yours is blown, or the TLE.

May 8, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for your insight, I don't have a meter anymore (It died). But I can see if I can borrow a meter from a friend in a few days.

Yet again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

EDIT: I switched the groundbuffer with the right channels buffer with no result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back