Old phones to use as a DAP?
May 5, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #17 of 19
I’m on the same boat interns of looking for a phone to use as a dap that doesn’t cost much. The requirements are usb c for dongles and proper Bluetooth codes. You’ll quicker find the usb c but the Bluetooth options usually stop at aac. I have a v40 that I bricked and I don’t think it’s coming back 😑. I don’t want to spend much at all. Kinda want to find that Diamond in the rough

May 9, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #18 of 19
I would look at samsung a53.

A54 came out recently so some places may be clearing out a53.

This line of phones is great for digital transport purposes because it has a large, long-lasting battery, and nice & large screen. Definitely fast enough for smooth music app browsing.

Even older a52 should work in this scenario as well.

May 9, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #19 of 19
USE A GOOD DAC/AMP DONGLE:

I was using an old iPhone 4 paired with my trusty CEntrance M8 for years. This was a very pleasing pairing with lots of power for any of my headphones. I love the hard switch EQ options on the M8.

Then the Tidal app stopped working one day. It turns out Tidal decided to stop updating their backward compatible App. :frowning2:

Now I use my iPhone 6 with the FiiO KA3 dongle. Works fine for exercising and walking. It's not a good as my Caying RU6, but the iPhone 6 doesn't have enough power for the RU6.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back