Old phones to use as a DAP?
May 24, 2022 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DiMenezes

New Head-Fier
Like many, I use my phone for music but for now I don't have a portable DAC as my phone is an old Samsung S7 Edge and this model still had the 3.5mm jack but whenever I upgrade I can't be sure of it.
So I got thinking, instead of worrying about this for music, I thought about buying an old phone which could provide proper source for music.

Anyone has any suggestions of old phones (cheap) good for music?

While looking around I stumbled upon some models, like LG V40 but I don't know much more than that. I wonder if old Sony phones would do good as they have been in the music part for a good while.
Just to give some context, I would be mainly using them with IEMs, so I don't need the same amount of power one would need for power hungry headphones.

May 24, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 19
Like many, I use my phone for music but for now I don't have a portable DAC as my phone is an old Samsung S7 Edge and this model still had the 3.5mm jack but whenever I upgrade I can't be sure of it.
So I got thinking, instead of worrying about this for music, I thought about buying an old phone which could provide proper source for music.

While looking around I stumbled upon some models, like LG V40 but I don't know much more than that. I wonder if old Sony phones would do good as they have been in the music part for a good while.
Just to give some context, I would be mainly using them with IEMs, so I don't need the same amount of power one would need for power hungry headphones.
LG is pretty much the best there is AFAIK. LG "VX" phones have been generally accepted within the audiophile community as "audiophile-grade". I'm not 100% certain which V model is better than the other, but as far as smartphone companies go, LG is what has received the most praise.

May 24, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 19
I stumbled upon a refurbished model of a Sony Xperia X Compact. It has an audio jack and it is super cheap. I'm really tempted to give this one a go if I can confirm it is good for audio, not only because it is cheap but also very small.

May 24, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 19
Soundguys did an article on it and at the bottom they list measurements for them all too.
https://www.soundguys.com/best-smartphones-for-audio-16373/
I use a Moto G Power which also has an FM tuner which is handy, and massive battery life. On ebay if you get it from TracFone. It's $124, but comes with a year of service which normally costs that much, so got it free.
I stumbled upon a refurbished model of a Sony Xperia X Compact. It has an audio jack and it is super cheap. I'm really tempted to give this one a go if I can confirm it is good for audio, not only because it is cheap but also very small.

May 25, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 19
I just bought a LG G8. A number of the LG phones with the quad DAC seem to measure well (V30, V40, V50, V60 and G8, G8X) but it’s a matter of budget. The G8 seemed to be a good mix of performance and low price (it’s newer than the V30 and V40 without the extra cost of a 5G radio). I paid $55 shipped for a G8 locked to Sprint which I thought was a deal.

May 28, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 19
Why not just buy a dongle DAP/amp and use whatever smartphone you have? There's dozens of them now that manufacturers are ditching low/mid-fi DAPs.

Luxury & Precision W1 and W2/W2-131
Lotoo PAW S1/S2
FiiO KA1
Questyle M12/M15
Cayin RU-6
Astell&Kern AK HC2
iFi audio GO bar
EarMen Sparrow
ALO audio Pilot
Etc., etc.

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 19

LG10 LG20 LG30 or entry level USB-C phone (100eur) + 50 eur DAC/AMP or miniDAP like Hiby r2 (99eur) or used Sony NW45 (100eur)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 19
any phone really is fine but if u really are hooked on using a phone as a dap use an lg phone, the dac and amp part is actually pretty good and way better than the regular ones, but u most likely wont have enough power if u wanna run some good stuff

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 19
I have a samsung S10+ that I'm going to use solely as a DAP with a firefly. Has anyone configured an Android phone as a DAP? Not sure whether to use a sim or not
any phone really is fine but if u really are hooked on using a phone as a dap use an lg phone, the dac and amp part is actually pretty good and way better than the regular ones, but u most likely wont have enough power if u wanna run some good stuff
Surely if you're using a firefly (external dac) it really doesn't matter about the audio system in the phone. Just as long as the phone can run the software you're using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back