Old model and new model Grado RS-1, which is best ?
Aug 9, 2008 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

luoo1984

100+ Head-Fier
Today I am going to Hi-Fi shop to listen the Grado RS-1.

I have to say it is beautiful sound. It is so great sound that I never been heard.

But the price is so high, the UK shop price is

[size=large]Gardo RS1+ Grado RA1= 665+350=1015 pound, equal = 2030 dollar...[/size]

I am so crying for this price.. but my friend told me I can try to buy a secondhand RS1 with is old model. The old model have a small piece of wood of headphone ,but new model without it.

Anyone know whats different between those two model? Is new mode RS1 which cost 2030 dollor is better than the ord model ?

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 9
The drivers are (to the best of our knowledge) identical in both new and old RS-1's. Beyond that key similarity, some argue that new RS-1's have a more open sound as they lack the wood button; but this is infinitely debatable. You may notice in your second-hand search that certain, older RS-1's command even higher prices than the new button-less models. These have a darker wood and a generally greater aesthetic appeal - and many claim they sound better than later, newer models.

In the end, though, the differences between models are at best, minute. If you can save a chunk of change buying a slightly used, button donned RS-1, then go for it.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Ive heard the old rs1s with the brown headband is superior to all. Wish someone with experience with those and the newer ones can chime in cause I'm also interested in a comparison

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 9
I just bought a "semi vintage" pair........seller has had several of them thru the years, and he is a person who continues to feel the older the better. His new pair with a real vintage pair having no ser#, and brown headband etc. (mine were a ser.# around 1100 [which would be 2001). So, buy 'em used, find a pair that you like, try to get them with as low ser.# as you can find. There are various opinions about the best amp to mate with them.....my thought is simply a well-known amp with a tubey sound. While the most popular match would be a Melos - you could also do a portable that sounds almost like tube amp.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 9
Melos should be great since John grado himself uses them for his rs1s. Remember, this is not sennheiser we are talking about the man tunes cans with his ears so the amp he uses with them speaks a lot of his intended sound. RA1 should be of great value for grados also.

Back to the vintage rs1 topic, wonder if anyone can chime in with good links of rs1 comparative reviews

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 9
I know there is a recent review on the new/old rs1. The main difference that i recall is the the new rs1 does not have that huge a mid hump as the old one (or it may be the other way around?!) Point is that the difference is not "massive" and so, it would matter that much. I would still say you go second hand. chances are they will be from USA, but even if you get hit by customs, you should still save a bucket load. $2000 should get you three RS1s.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Hey guys, so glad I stumbled on this thread. I've been meaning to get a second hand (vintage) rs-1. But I have no idea how they sound. The person selling it to me claims they sound much better than any rs-1s he's ever heard but that's only his interpretation. Not that I dont trust him but I'd like a more descriptive version of they'd possibly sound.

His asking price isnt cheap (but the cans look really great) and if the sound doesnt suit me/or is dissapointing I'm not sure if I'd be able to resell them or if I'd lose too much in the transaction.

Can someone help me out? New or old grados

I would gladly get new ones if not for their shipping restriction (to Australia). If I were to get new ones I have to bother myself and a friend with the inconvenience of shipping to her first and then back to myself.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 9
gman, would you please pass me the link for the old/new rs1 review? I cant seem to locate it

k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back