Old Guy Utterly Confused
Jun 27, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In either case, you will need a good source, since an electrostatic system is a lot more revealing of source quality than a dynamic system (in general).

Actually I am doing just fine running SRS-005a out of my laptop.

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #18 of 50
OP: First and foremost, to be taken seriously, you should put Team OAF in your signature. As an official "Old Audio Fart" you'll be privy to the secret handshake. Do not reject us.
cool.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP: First and foremost, to be taken seriously, you should put Team OAF in your signature. As an official "Old Audio Fart" you'll be privy to the secret handshake. Do not reject us.
cool.gif

LOL...what's the minimum age for OAF membership? "I'm not old, I'm 37!" (OLD Monty Python reference, lol), but man, I feel older than that...

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #21 of 50
It's what I live for, Nick...
evil_smiley.gif

Did I mention I like pickles?

How 'bout you and I form "Team Hijack", Nick?

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, Al4x's opinion aside, the D2000 is a great can. Easy to drive, is fantastic for rock in all it's varieties, comfy, etc. If you are more blues/vocals/live music/acoustically inclined, the HD650 is awesome, but you'll want a good amp. The flavor is quite different from the Denons or Grados, but just...wow. For not too much ($299 + $50 shipping), the Little Dot MKV amp pairs well wth the Denons and the Senns, and I imagine the Grados as well, so if you go that route, you have a nice scalable amp for other phones, and since it's solid state, no need for tube obsession. If you want a DAC as well, maybe the Zero would be a good bet, as it has an integrated headphone amp, and has garnered rave reviews. POrtable amp? I'm myself leaning towards the Meier Corda 2Move. Read the "37 portable amps reviewed" megathread..it's a fun one.

You DO know that posting this topic will get you more suggestions than replies, and will leave you even MORE confused than when you started, right?
wink.gif

For a pretty funny read (IMO) and a comparison of the Senn HD650 and Denon D2000 on the MKV, I have a big old thread going on that topic...feel free to drop by and have a read, and drop a question or two if you feel like it. I'll leave some lemonade and cookies out for you, lol...READ

Thanks you everyone's input, yes I am getting more confused. I'm leaning towards the D2000 (again) Just got to find some in stock for a decent price. Probably going to wait to check out my new Pico and bypass the home amp for the time being, perhaps it is all I will need even tho I do think those tubes are sexy. BTW ingwe thanks for the invite, I've officially joined Team OAF.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frequenting these threads, it's certain that you'll get even older and quite probable that you'll become even more confused. : )

Pataburd....Maybe I should just open my wallet and get both the HD600 & D2000....

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #25 of 50
They do compliment eachother quite nicely...wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pataburd....Maybe I should just open my wallet and get both the HD600 & D2000....

ITC,
Given your listening preferences--60's and 70's rock and/or pop, you need only open up your wallet enough for the price of the D2000. IMHE, the Denons revitalize these genres, providing details and surprises you've never heard before, along with kick-in-the-head bass, as the recordings allow.

Knowing what I know now, and in view of my present ownership of both the stock D2000 and the Cardas/HD600, I would endorse the D2000.

But, alas! That is only one, lowly layman's opinion; and furthermore, to completely duck any personal liability should you ultimately choose to act upon my advice: "YMMV." (I can't believe I'm being reduced to using commonplace acronyms!!) : )

PAB

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #27 of 50
Burd, you are to Denon D2000's what Penchum is to all things Little Dot, lol.

I mean that as a compliment, btw. You're the resident articulate standard bearer for them!

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

I mean that as a compliment, btw. You're the resident articulate standard bearer for them!

PAB, I think I'm going to take your advice(again) and go for the D2000's (first), If anything is lacking in my Grado's it's the booming bass. Althought I'm not a basshead, a kick in the butt is a turn on for this old goat from time to time. Any advice on where to pick up a pair? I looked at a few places all sold out, whoever has them the prices are $300+. Thanks again

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Golden,
And you're Head-Fi's mercurial gadfly. You seem to be in (at least) two places at once as your posts grow exponentially--LOL! : )

Yours is a welcome breath of fresh air--emphasis on "fresh"--on these time-honored threads of late, and a cheerful rejoinder to my comparatively grave way of plodding about things. : )
PAB

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Althought I'm not a basshead, a kick in the butt is a turn on for this old goat from time to time.

You wear your headphones on your butt?

Provantage has them right now (well, they order them for you asap) for $208. LINK. They are factory warrantied as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back