Old Guy May Go Back To Vinyl
Aug 22, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #76 of 82
Oh, you can change speeds without the speedbox. The speedbox helps improve the sound by ensuring exact platter rotation speed. I can't vouch for its effectiveness as I never bothered to buy one.
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #77 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm back from my long search for a used TT, no luck anywhere and I'm losing my patience. I got my eye on a Pro-Ject Debut lll, seems like something pretty decent for a newbie, comes with the cartridge, relativity cheap. My new questions would be, I have phono outputs in my Denon 2805, is it still recommended to invest in a phono preamp? If it is, will the Cambridge 640P still be a good match for the Pro-Ject. Thanks again !!!!

I use the phono inputs on my arcam amp and it works fine with the project III, you shouln't need a seperate phono preamp IMO.

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #78 of 82
Quote:

I have phono outputs in my Denon 2805, is it still recommended to invest in a phono preamp?

The Denon amp you have does have a basic onboard phonostage so you shouldn't need to get a separate preamp. It'll work just fine with the Ortofon cart that comes bundled with the Pro-Ject.

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #79 of 82
Update from the old guy: Just pulled the trigger on a new Technics 1210MK2, couldn't wait any longer. Picked it up for $382 (great deal) only problem is it's on backorder till 9/17 which is ok this will give me time to think about which cartridge I am going to get. Decided not to get a phono amp for the time being. Would like to hold down the cost to under $100 or so on the cartridge, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Note: Will be using this TT and new cartridge with 20 year old vinyl.

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #80 of 82
Quote:

Update from the old guy: Just pulled the trigger on a new Technics 1210MK2, couldn't wait any longer. Picked it up for $382 (great deal) only problem is it's on backorder till 9/17 which is ok this will give me time to think about which cartridge I am going to get. Decided not to get a phono amp for the time being. Would like to hold down the cost to under $100 or so on the cartridge, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Under $100? Darn. If you were willing to budge, just a little, I always suggest the Denon DL-110, but it's $140. The 110 is almost dead flat(no emphasis in response curve) and has a diamond crafted to unusual tolerances for the price range. It reads a bit deeper in the groove than most, since the stylus is smaller than most, there by bypassing some of the damage/wear on many 'older' records.

-Chris

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #81 of 82
Quote:

You can get a Stanton 681EEE MkIII at DJDeals.com for $96 delivered. It should track fine with your tonearm and still remain within your budget.

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #82 of 82
I'd go with a Sumiko Black Pearl. Fits your price range, and sounds pretty fine.

I'd also caution you about the Bellari. Mine's busted, and it soured me on the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back