Old Guy May Go Back To Vinyl
Jul 9, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #61 of 82
Just get a deck. I cycled through 5-6 models within inches of pulling the trigger on each. A Rega Planar 3 turned up locally for $200, and I grabbed it. When I bought it, I wasn't sure how much I would use it or even if I would like vinyl. But the Rega got a lot of play, at least a couple hours every day. About a year later, I did a lot of homework and went with my final (I think) setup.

My advice is to just get the least expensive well-made table that turns up. Preferably used. A careful setup will get you good sound on any of them. Take notes on what you like and dislike, how much you use it, and read up on the manufacturers and what features you want. You will be able to find a system that fits you, but you need a beginner's rig to find out what you actually want.

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #62 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a Dual for a long time, bought it while I was stationed in England in 1975 I can't believe I dumped it. Will be looking around. The Thorens seem to be popular now a days.

My LP turntable is a Thorens and my 78 turntable is a Dual. They're both great. The Dual is much more flexible with its ability to play different types of disks though. If I was starting from scratch, I probably would try to put together one turntable that did everything.

See ya
Steve

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #63 of 82
When buying used, it might be a good idea to insure that you can have repairs done on it if need be, unless you are a DIYer. I am lucky to have a small shop in the area that mainly works on old vintage electronics (kind of a hobby for him because as cheap as his prices are he doesn't make much). I have had to take a couple of TT's to him and he has been able to keep them alive. It can get tricky when shipping a TT across the country.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #64 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves /img/forum/go_quote.gif

God, you guys are making me regret selling my LP12/Itok/Asak a few years ago, particularly since I still have my vinyl collection.

John, I feel for you...
I'm just now setting up my old LP12 Valhalla/Ittok/Asaka after years in storage. Kept my vinyl thankfully as I always intended to resurrect...it is sooo sweet fettling this rig again! My DAPs aren't getting much of a look-in lately
smily_headphones1.gif

General Q: How is the budget Linn Axis as a consideration? I've never heard one, just curious...they come up on Ebay regularly.

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #65 of 82
I just got a SL-1200, with no cart. I'm considering either the DL-103, DL-110, or DL-160, and the Cambridge Audio 640p. I listen to mostly rock and indie/pop stuff (Elephant 6), and I have a pair of SR-225s and a Little Dot Micro +. I'm just wondering which of those cartridges everyone would recommend, and if I should consider upgrading my amp as well (bottlenecking?)

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #66 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dihnekis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a SL-1200, with no cart. I'm considering either the DL-103, DL-110, or DL-160, and the Cambridge Audio 640p. I listen to mostly rock and indie/pop stuff (Elephant 6), and I have a pair of SR-225s and a Little Dot Micro +. I'm just wondering which of those cartridges everyone would recommend, and if I should consider upgrading my amp as well (bottlenecking?)

The Cambridge Audio 640P and DL-103 will work great and the other Denons would also be fine. The biggest bottleneck is the tonearm which can be upgraded at a later date.

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #69 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dihnekis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't heard the other two, but have been very pleased with the DL-103.

Don't upgrade your system if it sounds good to you. If you really want something else, give it a listen first.

Also, if you don't have a copy, hunt down "Dusk at Cubist Castle" on vinyl. It's worth it.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #70 of 82
Oh I want a copy sooooo bad. It is absolutely impossible to find, but one day I will own it. I'm probably going to drop $100 for Black Foliage on vinyl next week, just so I don't have to worry about finding it. Dusk is my favorite though, and I would gladly drop more for it.

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #71 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
General Q: How is the budget Linn Axis as a consideration? I've never heard one, just curious...they come up on Ebay regularly.

A friend had one in college. They are really nice sounding but 2nd hand a bit of a risk as usually the PSU gets cooked. It's a minimalist '80s flat earther design with a few resistors to step down the power instead of a transformer, that would be lucky to pass modern European CE.

Hair raising but easy enough to fix if you're handy with a soldering iron though so could be a bargain from that perspective. I think they were rarer and probably considerably overpriced 2nd hand in the USA. The Basik was Linn's cheapest offering but it wasn't much cop by comparison, certainly no better than Rega P3 standard.

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #72 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pro-Ject stuff is very good at the price and like Rega gives you a relatively hastle free way back into vinyl. If you can't be bothered with upgrades and tweakery this will be a good option.

Well I'm back from my long search for a used TT, no luck anywhere and I'm losing my patience. I got my eye on a Pro-Ject Debut lll, seems like something pretty decent for a newbie, comes with the cartridge, relativity cheap. My new questions would be, I have phono outputs in my Denon 2805, is it still recommended to invest in a phono preamp? If it is, will the Cambridge 640P still be a good match for the Pro-Ject. Thanks again !!!!

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #73 of 82
I've got the Debut III, and it is certainly a lot better than what passed for 'entry-level' a few years ago. You might need to spring for the 'Speed Box II', though. I did hear my Debut III vs. a Michell Orbe SE owned by a recording studio exec., and well >gulp< let's just say that it was an illuminating experience.
redface.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #74 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palantiri7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the Debut III, and it is certainly a lot better than what passed for 'entry-level' a few years ago. You might need to spring for the 'Speed Box II', though. I did hear my Debut III vs. a Michell Orbe SE owned by a recording studio exec., and well >gulp< let's just say that it was an illuminating experience.
redface.gif

I read about the speedbox and I'm not going to be changing speeds so I didn't think it would be necessary. Do you have a preamp?

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #75 of 82
Yes, I use the NAD PP2. Naturally, after I bought it I read opinions referring to its sound as a bit cold and sterile, and I guess I can't argue too much with that impression. I have decided to keep it, though, as it does the job without any noise. I have heard good things about the Bellari VP129 tube phono sound, but a few people seem to have had reliability problems, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back