Old earphones exhibiting out-of-head sound
Dec 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

truckdriver

500+ Head-Fier
I listened to those Smyth Realiser demos thru a DAC-cable and FiiO E11 amp using my old Shure E5c. The cash register sound on Pink Floyd's Money was way overhead. I want more songs that sound like that for my older earphones.

Headquake for Apple DAPs created some extra depth but not much width or height. Lately however, I've been using the 3D Music Player (by Maven) on my old Voodoo'd Galaxy S1 with FiiO E11 and E5c (or 530) and it's pretty good (with the setting XOME -i).

I was listening to Bill Wither's Use Me and the guitar is in the upper right (out of head) corner (with a thick note) while the synthesizer is in the upper left corner. It sounds solid (not gimmicky) with decent bass (not bad). To top it off, the sound is as tall, wide, and deeper than my airplane hanger earmuffs (a.k.a. AKG Q701).

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 4
I got some of the details wrong. [size=9pt]EMERSYS[/size] is the name of the company that makes this Android app. I'm late to the party because it appears to be very popular in the Google Play store. MAVEN stands for  [size=9pt](Multiform Audio Virtualizing & Enhancing Nexus). Whatever [size=x-small]that[/size] is, it appears to work. I only see a free version, so it's one heck of a deal.[/size]

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 4
I decided to DL and try out the app and test some of its soundstage enhancing features. Worked great with my RE0s + E11 on techno songs... was terrible for anything else. Made instruments sound unnatural and completely destroyed the sound signature. Fun to play with for sure, glad it didn't cost anything.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 4
I only got it today. It sounds great with old R&B. I'm listening to some old Midnight Star and some of the synthesizer effects and background vocals are really out wide. I also like how big the sound is—as in tall. Some synthesizer effects circle around instead of just appearing from side to side.

Maybe it sounds different on different players. Or, maybe more congested genres fail in CPU processing, I don't know but it hasn't sounded strange on any track I've played so far. Of course, I'm only playing old R&B and Pop from the 70s and 80s.

My old Galaxy S1 only has Voodoo and a few music players on it. I may throw some heavier faster stuff at it later and see if it breaks down. Right now, I'm liking it. It's definitely different.

You can't beat free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back