Old computer; Donate or the landfill
Jun 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
My parents had a very modest upgrade, so their old computer needs to go.
Its certainly not the fastest (6-7yrs old), but it is manageable.

P4 2.8ghz
768mb memory
120gb HD
integrated everything else (gfx, sound, etc).

Yeah, its not so great, but its definitely speedy enough for regular usage (browsing the web).

The problem is, the technology is so old that it would probably be better for anyone to just buy a new computer, than have to deal with this. I don't know what to do with it. I really don't think that anyone would want it, And even if they do, I don't know where to drop it off.

I'm really tempted to simply take out the 120gb HD and put it in my main computer, for a long awaited backup HD (good general practice anyway). I do have a spare 20gb hard drive from way back, so I could put that in if this old system is still usable.

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 12
You can try overclocking the P4 processor. 
biggrin.gif

I've learned that way, lots of fun but you need to be careful. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 12
Sometimes schools appreciate donations of working gear otherwise scrap it at an electronics recycling center.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
My parents had a very modest upgrade, so their old computer needs to go.
Its certainly not the fastest (6-7yrs old), but it is manageable.

My Apple tower is about the same age, with the older Motorola processor (1.8 Ghz DP/4GB mem/2 ea 160 GB Hdd). Just today I arranged for the National Kidney Foundation of Hawaii to pick it and the 23" Cinema Display up this coming thurs.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 12
Completely overwrite and clear the hard-drive so no one can get any data that may still be on the drive and donate! I still have a 7 year old Dell laptop lying around with a P4 that runs and I left with family in India who still use it.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 12
Guaranteed someone will want this. My partner gave an old computer to a high school student whose only computer access was at a local public library. A reasonable search should turn up some donation possibilities.

If you can't then take it to a reputable electronics recycle place. The metals in that thing really don't need to go in the landfill.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 12
Heck, I'm still running an Athlon64 2.0GHz box. Runs fine with Linux. If it ain't broke, donate it. Drop Ubuntu on there and someone will use it.

In addition to schools, check some senior centers and resthomes. Someone older might like to have a computer.

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 12
If you can't find a more worthy place to donate it, put it up on the craigslist "free" section and leave it outside your house (when it's not going to rain).  Someone will probably pick it up within a day.  Who knows how badly they need it, so it'd be better to find an organization or person who really needs a computer, but CL is better than the landfill. 

You can get rid of almost anything on the CL free section, it's a great way to re-use materials and keep things out of the landfill.  It's also easier and cheaper than the landfill. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 12
If it's the Optiplexes I'm thinking of, BURN IT WITH FIRE!

No, I'm kidding. Plop a billion GB hard drive in that baby and use it as server storage or host a TF2 server out of it... something. It's good for something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back